Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Players Read Here! Short Easy Tips to Win By!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
New Players Read Here! Short Easy Tips to Win By!

Warhelm
04.25.2014 , 03:40 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
Brevity can be a good thing.
-bp
Off Topic:
Brevity is always preferred, so long as understanding is conveyed. If comprehension of your point is not transmitted in the amount of words you have chosen to limit yourself to, then your brevity has no more effect nor affect than a belch.

Further Off Topic:
What is the "-bp" you sign off with? Curiosity begs me to ask.

Pilgrim_Grey
04.25.2014 , 09:01 PM | #22
A few further recommendations:

1. Fly the type of ship you enjoy. You'll have to play around with them to see what you prefer (and get some components upped a little), but it'll become clear soon. I am bored to death by bombers. I find them lame. But some might see how well they can do and think they have to be flying them when they don't (insert any ship class for "bombers" as well--we all have our preferences. I like Strikes over scouts, but scouts over gunships... and those are the only three I play).

2. In addition to Armonnd's "move if you take a hit" (really good advice), I would also recommend not flying straight at your target. There are exceptions to this rule (like if a satellite is clear or you're chasing another fighter), but this is pretty much always the case if your target is watching you or looking for attackers. Satellite defenders are often looking for attackers on the same horizontal plane as they are (note always, but even the good ones often get distracted here because that's where most attackers come from). And you should always circle in closer to a gunship if they're targeting you--make them work for that hit, or hold their charge for longer and waste weapon power so they don't have it when you are up close.

3. Until you get a feel for a game (and somewhat related to #2), try not to play a game of chicken with someone that wants to take you head on. If they're waiting for you or turning in order for this to happen, they must be pretty sure they can take you: they either of the burst damage or defense to not have to worry about what you can throw at them. After you play for awhile you can learn what you can take and what you can't, but until then it's better to be safe than sorry.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando), I'arwin (Sentinel), Ben'adar (Scoundrel)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithryc (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Powertech), Ahoshta (Assassin)
Shadowlands Server

Nangasaur
04.25.2014 , 10:16 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
I think new pilots fall into this trap often, they see a Type 2 Scout dominating in a match, pick one up to try it themselves and promptly get melted. The thing has little to no defense (its squishiest ship in the game) and is HIGHLY dependent on evasive flying.

After they get melted they think "well maybe its components" so they read the guides, gear the ship out... and then get melted again. There is a playstyle that goes with the T2 scout, and if you don't have that mastered its a crap shoot. IMO the T2 scout is not easy mode, it has a moderate skill floor (skill required to pilot) and a very high skill ceiling.

That being said, I would appreciate more constructive content in this post Sidenti =) This isnt really about the meta, its about helping new players to understand how to be good (inside and out of the match). If they want to debate loadouts they can go to Stasies thread in the link (but please dont trash that post either)

(Edit: If your serious then put more information in as to why its a good choice, such a short statement seems like trolling, if unintended sorry )
Maybe it's me, but MMO players tend to gravitate towards the easiest/most powerful classes/items/equipment available. This is a pretty common fact.

When 9 out of 10 people playing with you are all flying the same ship, this doesn't say, "Oh 90% of people have the same playstyle", but rather, "10% of players choose not to just wtfpwndominate."

Call it playstyle if you will, but people don't theorycraft MMO's to have the most entertainment. They do it to min/max. Same with everyone tending to fly the same ship.
Full-Time Beta Forums Tester
Spoiler

DamascusAdontise
04.26.2014 , 10:35 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nangasaur View Post
Maybe it's me, but MMO players tend to gravitate towards the easiest/most powerful classes/items/equipment available. This is a pretty common fact.

When 9 out of 10 people playing with you are all flying the same ship, this doesn't say, "Oh 90% of people have the same playstyle", but rather, "10% of players choose not to just wtfpwndominate."

Call it playstyle if you will, but people don't theorycraft MMO's to have the most entertainment. They do it to min/max. Same with everyone tending to fly the same ship.
This is true, people will always gravitate towards what is easiest. In the case of GSF though whats easy for one person is not easy for another, the classes are really very different. I dont see anything with a 90% occurence, most of the time you cant even count on 50%. Some prefer the balls to the wall speed of scouts, while some prefer the somewhat slower but highly armored strike, others work with the long range king GS, while still others prefer the slow plodding bomber.

Each has strength, and each can be piloted in "advanced" ways, some less than others. All are powerful in the right hands, we can argue which is most powerful but again this is subjective: each person has a skillset and it will likely fall under one or two of the ships types we have available (fast, survivable, long range, and support)

On Bastion at least I see more Strikes than anything else, followed by scouts, then GS, and lastly bombers. This is the typical makeup, it varies from game to game. Some can be heavy GS / Bomber while others might be almost all strikes. I rarely ever see a majority scouts though, they function best supporting other slower ships and you cant do that in a majority roll.

(Edit: Thanks Pilgrim, added modified versions of the tips to the gameplay drop down. Ill be adding a credits section as a thank you at some point for those that are helping out.)
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

Pilgrim_Grey
04.26.2014 , 02:40 PM | #25

I think the tendency to gravitate toward any class that seems to have an edge is more from the misguided notion that the edge (whatever it may be pr how strong it is) means the player will have fun. It's logical in some ways. "Oh, if only I have this class, I shall wtfpwndominate and have fun." But this is the same thinking behind people ragequitting and getting upset over needed class balance changes... and people quitting a game sooner than later. If you're playing something because you think it's got some kind of edge and not because you like playing it, you're doomed to disappointment in the MMO world. Learning that trick is helpful for just about everyone, I've found.

I always try to speak out against it, because especially in a game like GSF where there is a need for the different classes, it can weaken your team quite a bit. My three main pilots each have their class of ships that they focus on, but they keep 2-3 others just in case the team needs some variety. I don't like it, but I've switched to a gunship if no one is flying one on our team or if the 1-2 we have just aren't helping much on a satellite, etc. It can make a big difference.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando), I'arwin (Sentinel), Ben'adar (Scoundrel)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithryc (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Powertech), Ahoshta (Assassin)
Shadowlands Server

Verain
04.26.2014 , 05:50 PM | #26
I updated my post with some other stuff that new players might want- some guidance on requisition spending.

As far as "50% of players play X", I don't see that either. I will say that there are some clear imbalances in this game, and many of them are likely by design. For instance, it's pretty clear that the bombers are meant to be very solid at holding nodes. I don't think it's fair advice for a new player to be told "play bomber" or "play type 2 scout" or whatever. Not only might the power change with a patch (or even with a meta), it's by no means a guaranteed fit to their playstyle. It's also likely temporary advice- if you had a build that could instantly defeat a gunship but was literally helpless before scouts and strikes, you wouldn't play it- most games involve characters who ONLY have scouts and strikes, for instance. The meta will shake out as more players have more ships, and if a new player is playing something that he actually likes, he's much more likely to be playing at all.

Armonddd
04.26.2014 , 10:05 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Pilgrim_Grey View Post
I think the tendency to gravitate toward any class that seems to have an edge is more from the misguided notion that the edge (whatever it may be pr how strong it is) means the player will have fun.
Games are about problem solving. The most common problem is "how can I succeed in combat?" which quickly turns into "how can I become most effective in combat?". We as humans just don't consider the implications of our success -- call it an evolutionary thing, where more success meant "man we've got all this venison whatever shall we do this is so terrible". Jesse Schell goes into this in detail in The Art of Game Design, and it's really rather interesting imo.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Storm-Cutter
04.27.2014 , 07:52 AM | #28
Use your first few games to kit out one ship - Don't try to kit them all out at once. - Practice a lot on one ship.

Always pick up the daily and the weekly. On fleet or capital planets or PvP terminals.- If you want to maximise your rep, fly all ships at least until the 2x rep runs out. Anything more than that is a bonus.

If you have CCs to use, use them to transfer rep from one ship to another - buy additional ships and farm the daily/Weeky. - Rep accrues form daily & weekly to all ships in your hangar.

Don't chase kills off a defended node. But try to encourage the enemy to chase you.

Take out defence turrets in dom. - They're worth rep for very little effort.

Practice flying close to fixed objects- mesas, structures etc.

When firing blasters try to get a missile lock at the same time. - It only works a small percentage of the time, but you can occasionally luck out.

Consider upgrading shields, evasion and engine power at the very start - Surviving longer gains more rep - Then spend points on upgrading offensive.

Don't be afraid to hang back. Defending gunships or nodes or staying on your half in Domination is contributing - dying is only helping the opposition.

Blast anything that passes your reticule. An assist will gain you a few more points. - Finish off any ships that are down on HP and shields for easy kills.

Don't be afraid to run and hide- Every second alive means extra power regeneration.

Try sneaking up on Gunships and bombers. - a direct line to them is often a quick death guarantee.

Co-ordinate at the start - use chat to say which node you are after or who you will attack/ shadow / defend. - say where you are going to lay mines or repair probes. Use the grid system - "Repair probe at D2" for instance.

Use GSF chat channels to find friends. Queue as a group is faster pop than solo.

Use GSF to level any character under level 55- use XP boosters if you wanna level up quick. At 55 Do dailies etc. between matches.

Get your friends to try GSF. A few newbies that co-ordinate are =/= as good as an average solo player.

Don't rush in as soon as the queue pops. - You usually have 30-40 seconds to finish anything you are doing. Send your crew out on 10 minute gathering missions. If you waiting on fleet, do some crafting, or sort out your inventory - chat or RP- don't just stand and wait.

TL;DR: Don't give up . Practice makes perfect. The more players that stick with it, the better it is.

See you out there.
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================

Sidenti
04.27.2014 , 08:49 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Warhelm View Post
Off Topic:
Brevity is always preferred, so long as understanding is conveyed. If comprehension of your point is not transmitted in the amount of words you have chosen to limit yourself to, then your brevity has no more effect nor affect than a belch.

Further Off Topic:
What is the "-bp" you sign off with? Curiosity begs me to ask.

*burp*

Sidenti
04.27.2014 , 08:51 AM | #30

...crap. You're right. You know, I never even really wanted to consider this possibility - I've always been a challenge guy myself so I don't understand intentionally nerfing oneself by going for the "easy button" - but I guess it's time to ponder that.

Maybe the majority really DOES want Easy Mode. But why? -bp