Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Players Read Here! Short Easy Tips to Win By!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
New Players Read Here! Short Easy Tips to Win By!

Zoom_VI
04.25.2014 , 09:57 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Sidenti View Post
...that was actual advice. Just look at the record thread, the myriad videos on Youtube demonstrating effectiveness...

What advice would you prefer I give? -bp
Advice that isn't two patches old?
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Sidenti
04.25.2014 , 10:06 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
Advice that isn't two patches old?
Seems to still be decent advice, if the post-2.7 leaderboard is to be believed.

Armonddd
04.25.2014 , 10:17 AM | #13
Seems to still be decent advice, if the post-2.7 leaderboard is to be believed.
Skill ceiling and skill floor are two very different concepts.

A good pilot in a Flashfire will perform very well, and may even set world records under certain arbitrary metrics.

A novice pilot will find the Flashfire unnecessarily fragile until he or she gets the hang of evading. Strikes are honestly better to learn in, and gunships are a bit more "easy mode" (at least for getting kills, which boosts confidence if nothing else).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Sidenti
04.25.2014 , 10:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post

A good pilot in a Flashfire will perform very well, and may even set world records under certain arbitrary metrics.

A novice pilot will find the Flashfire unnecessarily fragile until he or she gets the hang of evading. Strikes are honestly better to learn in, and gunships are a bit more "easy mode" (at least for getting kills, which boosts confidence if nothing else).
I would think it would be a more case-by-case basis, but the numbers so far support both ends.

Okay. Get a mastered Flashfire (if you're used to faster gaming) or a Quarrel (if you're not).

Better? I'm sure there are other suggestions that can be offered too, but these are mine.

Armonddd
04.25.2014 , 10:24 AM | #15
I would think it would be a more case-by-case basis, but the numbers so far support both ends.

Okay. Get a mastered Flashfire (if you're used to faster gaming) or a Quarrel (if you're not).

Better? I'm sure there are other suggestions that can be offered too, but these are mine.
Or just find a ship you enjoy and get good at it. No need to funnel people into playstyles they might not enjoy because ace pilots are good at them.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

DamascusAdontise
04.25.2014 , 10:26 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post

I think new pilots fall into this trap often, they see a Type 2 Scout dominating in a match, pick one up to try it themselves and promptly get melted. The thing has little to no defense (its squishiest ship in the game) and is HIGHLY dependent on evasive flying.

After they get melted they think "well maybe its components" so they read the guides, gear the ship out... and then get melted again. There is a playstyle that goes with the T2 scout, and if you don't have that mastered its a crap shoot. IMO the T2 scout is not easy mode, it has a moderate skill floor (skill required to pilot) and a very high skill ceiling.

That being said, I would appreciate more constructive content in this post Sidenti =) This isnt really about the meta, its about helping new players to understand how to be good (inside and out of the match). If they want to debate loadouts they can go to Stasies thread in the link (but please dont trash that post either)

(Edit: If your serious then put more information in as to why its a good choice, such a short statement seems like trolling, if unintended sorry )
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

TrinityLyre
04.25.2014 , 11:02 AM | #17
Great tips, I didn't even think about a section like this! I'll add a link in my guide.

Also, yeah, keep the garbage out of useful threads. We could all go around spamming "lolgunshipflashfirebomberspremades" all day but is there really a point in defiling what little useful information there is on these forums? All ships are a decent choice when starting out - they all have advantages and disadvantages and they'll all teach you how to play better. Different individuals have different preferences (and tolerances) for mobility, health, damage, range, etc.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

zaskar
04.25.2014 , 12:00 PM | #18
I'd go back and edit to change shorthand terms that new pilots won't know yet.

DamascusAdontise
04.25.2014 , 12:16 PM | #19
Went through and tried to make a fluency pass through the OP, shoot me a PM if you notice something bad that needs to be changed =) Thanks BTW, good point.
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

Sidenti
04.25.2014 , 02:12 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
I think new pilots fall into this trap often, they see a Type 2 Scout dominating in a match, pick one up to try it themselves and promptly get melted. The thing has little to no defense (its squishiest ship in the game) and is HIGHLY dependent on evasive flying.

After they get melted they think "well maybe its components" so they read the guides, gear the ship out... and then get melted again. There is a playstyle that goes with the T2 scout, and if you don't have that mastered its a crap shoot. IMO the T2 scout is not easy mode, it has a moderate skill floor (skill required to pilot) and a very high skill ceiling.

That being said, I would appreciate more constructive content in this post Sidenti =) This isnt really about the meta, its about helping new players to understand how to be good (inside and out of the match). If they want to debate loadouts they can go to Stasies thread in the link (but please dont trash that post either)

(Edit: If your serious then put more information in as to why its a good choice, such a short statement seems like trolling, if unintended sorry )
Brevity can be a good thing.

I recommend the builds because they're the most capable. I wouldn't recommend something that isn't. -bp