Renewed call for flight training

zaskar

A few months back I wrote a thread asking the devs for an expanded tutorial that would provide new players a far less steep of a learning curve. Like most suggestion threads around here, it seemed to fall on deaf ears and got off track very quickly.

The purpose of this thread is to renew that request and to say to the devs, it's even worse now. The disparity between experienced pilots and new is not just large anymore but it has become extreme. And, pilots, don't derail this into an argument, I know it's the internet and the Internet is for arguing - we've seen in the last few days that BioWare will change their priorities if enough people say the same thing.

A few months back I wrote a thread asking the devs for an expanded tutorial that would provide new players a far less steep of a learning curve. Like most suggestion threads around here, it seemed to fall on deaf ears and got off track very quickly.

The purpose of this thread is to renew that request and to say to the devs, it's even worse now. The disparity between experienced pilots and new is not just large anymore but it has become extreme. And, pilots, don't derail this into an argument, I know it's the internet and the Internet is for arguing - we've seen in the last few days that BioWare will change their priorities if enough people say the same thing.

A good first step would be to force people to do the existing tutorial before they can queue for a live match.

While I don't disagree, that an improved tutorial would be a good thing, the lack of matchmaking has been killing the game more than anything else. New pilots need fights where they can learn to play. Tossing them out against pilots and ships that can one or two shot them is folly.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I want to encourage people to take up GSF - A bigger playerbase enhances everyone's experience. - Maybe BW could dangle the carrot of CCs to spend one's first ship, or enhanced req for doing five x 5 mins tutorial or something. A few obstacles to fly around and slow-moving drones to shoot would be a big step.

I'd love to see que-as-group for the tutorial to enable vets to coach the newbies, but I guess that's a Dev headache to implement.

Some BW feedback would be nice..... Pretty please with cream and sugar on top.....!

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I agree totally! If it even provided some sort of basic PvE GSF as a training, not only would it be fun, but a much easier and less stressful learning environment, not to mention a base for some possible future PvE content down the road.

Expanded tutorial (and better in game information) is a MUST. There's far too much guessing and misinformation for new players, even novice players.

If they could add mobile drones / npc ships, maybe that follow a set of paths to simulate some of the laser and missile tracking that pilots have to get used to. A simulated dogfight with emphasis on ability, power toggles, and turning / varying throttle etc

They should have tutorials for different game modes as well, its just as important to learn how to respond to a push in domination as it is to not get too far ahead of your team in a deathmatch. There could be relatively simple / short tutorials that could expose players to at least some of whats coming so they have a chance.

Too many times have I flown against strikes and scouts that come straight at me, or hit x and sit still in the middle of a dogfight. An enhanced tutorial that teaches a very basic level of offensive and evasive flying could do wonders for the new player experience.

There needs to be a multi part tutorial showing new players how every ship type works (destroy drones with mines, shooting a moving target with GS railgun, using missile pods on a firing turret, locking missiles on a fast moving drone and son on) and at *least* 1 PvE Dominion and Death match game available for new pilots to learn the basics of flying and using their weapons.

The game just straight up needs some sort of basic PvE mode. That's the best way to get people to actually train.

So true, I have seen way too many new pilots asking things like: how do I fly straight? Why don't my missiles work? My railgun's broken...

The tutorial tells new players nothing of use, half the stuff you may pick up from guide like Stasie's (which really should be stickied by now) or by trial and explosive decompression.

Yep, agreed.

IIRC there was a whole lot of text and picture tutorial that I went through in Dec, but I don't think many people actually read that stuff. Most noobz these days are just like "click play - lose - this game sux", if they got forced into tutorial they could at least learn something before being put into the fray.

What would they learn would be a question then. I wouldn't do any big stuff like a fight against AI. Begin simply with what we have, add some target practice with slow-moving drones, that should suffice. Also, allow people take their own ships into tutorial, or let them choose. Person with hidden disposition towards gunship flying a scout in tutorial isn't too efficient.

I definitely agree, it's no fun flying circles around people who are so helpless they don't even know how to switch targets. On my server the difference in skill between the average Republic pilot and the average Imperial one is staggering, the Republic almost always wins games against the Imps, there are good Imp players and a few premades will sometimes win games here and there but overall it's a curb stomp, to the point where I can sometimes get myself in a situation that should be way over my head, like a 3v1, and still come out on top.

New players should DEFINITELY be forced to complete the tutorial before queueing, and I think it would go a long way to have a tutorial that at least covers the basics of player vs player combat and makes recommendations on viable builds for different ship classes. I'm sick of seeing people who think that hydrospanner is a worthwhile co-pilot ability for their scout...

Edited by Taleek