Faction specific capital ships?

CommanderKeeva

The devs' recent post about Galactic Strongholds said that each side would have access to one guild capital ship, the Valor-class cruiser for the Republic and the Harrower dreadnaught for the Empire. While I understand the reasoning behind this, I feel somewhat disappointed that (again) the Imperials are getting the cool-looking stuff. They already have a better-looking fleet, better animations and some cooler armor. I feel guild capital ships are going to encourage new guilds further to play on the Imperial side.

I'm not saying that the Valor-class cruiser looks terrible, it's an average-looking ship, but it looks old, clumsy and ungainly like a flying bathtub. In contrast, the Harrower looks sleek, modern and deadly, like a real warship should be. Obviously, it's a purpose-built war machine designed to annihilate enemy vessels and it shows really. I asked around in my guild and in other guilds and many people on the Rep side share this sentiment: they would choose the Imperial ship if given an option.

So could you make it possible to use the enemy faction's capital ship in Galactic Strongholds? Say, we captured one in battle and kept it around as a trophy? I'm not saying right away or for the same amount of money. Or even if could capture the enemy guild capital ship in guild vs guild space battles.

It would be so cool if both sides had access to the Harrower dreadnaught!

Since when was a cruiser a capital ship? If, as the internet says, the Valor is the heaviest Republic ship, why is it designated as a cruiser? Is a cruiser the biggest thing they can afford?

I like the Valor, actually, I think it is pretty cool. And I hate your idea. Seeing everyone dressed as Emo Sith on the Pub side is annoying enough (though I am not advocating rolling the clock back on that - folks should be allowed to dress how they like), but now we want to remove any visual distinction between the factions' ships too? No thanks.

It's interesting, because a reoccurring problem in Star Wars media seems to have been that they just can't seem to come up with a ship design for the "good guys" that looks nearly as cool as the iconic Star Destroyer style of ships that the "bad guys" usually have.

Honestly the "Hammerhead" style of Republic ships from KOTOR and TOR (and variants that show up in the Legacy era) are about as good as any attempt I've ever seen at making a distinct, identifiable aesthetic for Republic ships separate from the Star Destroyer look.

I don't particularly like the idea of "capturing" an enemy class for use as a Guild Capital Ship, but I agree the Valor-class is... underwhelming as a design. While it's not going to happen, I wish they would design a suped-up version of the Hammerhead instead. Hell if push came to shove I'd honestly prefer an existing Thranta Corvette for the Republic Guild Ship - size difference be damned.

Edited by DarthDymond

I think Valor-class looks cool.

As to why it is called a cruiser, who knows. However, the Harrower dreadnought is also classified as a (battle) cruiser by the same standards (imps use different names probably). This classification was before the standardization created during Clone Wars...

There used to be a concept picture of a space battle that featured a more Home-One republic ship that actually got changed at one stage, with the ship loosing the "blisters" of home one and got a sleek armored shell.

That gave me hope that a guild ship expansion would feature new capital ships at least for the republic if not both factions.

But alas I guess that was just an artist having too much time on his hands. :(

The devs' recent post about Galactic Strongholds said that each side would have access to one guild capital ship, the Valor-class cruiser for the Republic and the Harrower dreadnaught for the Empire. While I understand the reasoning behind this, I feel somewhat disappointed that (again) the Imperials are getting the cool-looking stuff. They already have a better-looking fleet, better animations and some cooler armor. I feel guild capital ships are going to encourage new guilds further to play on the Imperial side.

I'm not saying that the Valor-class cruiser looks terrible, it's an average-looking ship, but it looks old, clumsy and ungainly like a flying bathtub. In contrast, the Harrower looks sleek, modern and deadly, like a real warship should be. Obviously, it's a purpose-built war machine designed to annihilate enemy vessels and it shows really. I asked around in my guild and in other guilds and many people on the Rep side share this sentiment: they would choose the Imperial ship if given an option.

So could you make it possible to use the enemy faction's capital ship in Galactic Strongholds? Say, we captured one in battle and kept it around as a trophy? I'm not saying right away or for the same amount of money. Or even if could capture the enemy guild capital ship in guild vs guild space battles.

Think of it in terms of gender anatomy:

Imperial capital vessels are more or less giant flying v a g i n a s, and Republic capital ships more closely resemble a giant flying p e n i s.

While I don't agree with gender norms that portray women as weak (darkside = weak, easy way out, cowardly) and men as strong (lightside = principled, difficult, brave and selfless), George Lucas may have inadvertently when he created all this.

The developers did give the Empire better animations, armor, and in some cases even story (you see more Revan-related material leveling than on the Republic side), but you'll have to blame the ships on George Lucas. :D

For the record, I like the Valor class ships, and still prefer the Republic, even if on my server it's harder to do Ops, PvP, basically anything on the Republic side (except GSF, we are better at that usually).

The armor isn't as much an issue anymore. Still, it shouldn't hurt your eyes to play a Consular if you don't use adaptive armor. The animation disparity is bad enough...

EDIT: Also, I don't see why this is unexpected, as those are basically the ships seen at the Fleet.

Edited by arunav

Think of it in terms of gender anatomy:

Imperial capital vessels are more or less giant flying v a g i n a s, and Republic capital ships more closely resemble a giant flying p e n i s.

While I don't agree with gender norms that portray women as weak (darkside = weak, easy way out, cowardly) and men as strong (lightside = principled, difficult, brave and selfless), George Lucas may have inadvertently when he created all this.

The developers did give the Empire better animations, armor, and in some cases even story (you see more Revan-related material leveling than on the Republic side), but you'll have to blame the ships on George Lucas. :D

For the record, I like the Valor class ships, and still prefer the Republic, even if on my server it's harder to do Ops, PvP, basically anything on the Republic side (except GSF, we are better at that usually).

The armor isn't as much an issue anymore. Still, it shouldn't hurt your eyes to play a Consular if you don't use adaptive armor. The animation disparity is bad enough...

EDIT: Also, I don't see why this is unexpected, as those are basically the ships seen at the Fleet.

I understand your viewpoint, but what does that theory on gender have to do with any of this O.O

I understand your viewpoint, but what does that theory on gender have to do with any of this O.O

The Republic version IS the better ship in the Star Wars universe, and is even seen in its shape/form (even if the gendered ideas on it are awful and outdated).

I trust in Yoda: "In the end, cowards are those that follow the dark side."

He also won, when all was said and done.

So if some people think a Star Destroyer-look is so much better you'd rather abandon your faction's ships, more spine and less whine...

Edited by arunav

Are you kidding me? I'll take the Valor over the Harrower any day!

The wedge shaped gray blob has been done to death since the 70's... The Valor cruiser looks much nicer with its curved lines and stately bridgetower.

Since when was a cruiser a capital ship? If, as the internet says, the Valor is the heaviest Republic ship, why is it designated as a cruiser? Is a cruiser the biggest thing they can afford?

I like the Valor, actually, I think it is pretty cool. And I hate your idea. Seeing everyone dressed as Emo Sith on the Pub side is annoying enough (though I am not advocating rolling the clock back on that - folks should be allowed to dress how they like), but now we want to remove any visual distinction between the factions' ships too? No thanks.

I agree, if u want to dress like a Sith and like their ships then be a damn Sith, I like the valor it looks awesome.

To my knowledge, Star Wars categorizes all significant frontline warships as "capital ships" regardless of their function in battle. Hence all destroyers, frigates, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, carriers and dreadnaughts are referred to as "capital ships." A likely oversight on the developers part, they used ship designations interchangeably because I would assume they forgot to look them up. And yeah, the republic is pretty strapped for cash, I doubt they can afford many ships above cruisers. (Look what happened to the one superdreadnaught they built.)

The designation of the Harrower is particularly chaotic because it's referred to as a dreadnought in the Codex entry, but as a battlecruiser on the map of the Imperial fleet. Furthermore, when you do the old Republic space missions, companions sometimes shout "Destroyer on sensors!" when you get within range of it, adding to the chaos of ship designation. Likewise Bioware seems to use the words "corvette", "destroyer" and "frigate" interchangeably, because all three are used to refer to the Thranta-class in the game.

At any rate I am not suggesting that they do not give the Valor-class cruiser to Republic guilds. By all means, it should be the baseline ship. All I'm asking for is that guilds be allowed to choose their capital ships from a variety of designs (including captured Imperial vessels). If you don't want it, you can always stick with the bland flying bathtub.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

To my knowledge, Star Wars categorizes all significant frontline warships as "capital ships" regardless of their function in battle. Hence all destroyers, frigates, cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships, carriers and dreadnaughts are referred to as "capital ships." A likely oversight on the developers part, they used ship designations interchangeably because I would assume they forgot to look them up. And yeah, the republic is pretty strapped for cash, I doubt they can afford many ships above cruisers. (Look what happened to the one superdreadnaught they built.)

The designation of the Harrower is particularly chaotic because it's referred to as a dreadnought in the Codex entry, but as a battlecruiser on the map of the Imperial fleet. Furthermore, when you do the old Republic space missions, companions sometimes shout "Destroyer on sensors!" when you get within range of it, adding to the chaos of ship designation. Likewise Bioware seems to use the words "corvette", "destroyer" and "frigate" interchangeably, because all three are used to refer to the Thranta-class in the game.

At any rate I am not suggesting that they do not give the Valor-class cruiser to Republic guilds. By all means, it should be the baseline ship. All I'm asking for is that guilds be allowed to choose their capital ships from a variety of designs (including captured Imperial vessels). If you don't want it, you can always stick with the bland flying bathtub.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Capital_ship

Pretty much any ship longer than 100 meters is a captial ship.

And I'm pretty sure there will be more designs to pick from in the future.