Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Producer Letter Galactic Strongholds

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Producer Letter Galactic Strongholds
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
05.01.2014 , 01:51 PM | #471
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoWolf View Post
Think of it this way your paying a sub to enjoy a game.. do you want to spend a year of that sub time purely grinding cash to enjoy a feature you helped pay to develop or would you sooner EARN the feature through relevant gameplay, while having fun in a more organic way that doesnt feel like a grind?

Grinds have become FAR too much of an accepted convention in todays MMO's but they don't add to enjoyment they detract from it. This feature is intended for guilds, whatever thier size and whatever thier type and so should provided the benefits in a way that is condusive to HOw they are already playing and enjoying the game thier sub pays for. Not require a monumental grind by all concerned in order to have it.
I never said the grind was the most fun way to do it. But its definitely far more accessible to tiny guilds than say, Nightmare Ops. Also, warzones and flashpoints are unlikely to garner than many credits. If anything, there'd be more grinding of those particular aspects if guild flagship content was unlocked through playtime.

Also, lets not pretend daily grinding is the only option available(not to mention its only about half an hour or less to earn 200k creds a day). If you'd simply use the GTN with some crafting or gathering skills, which require you to do little else than keep some empty inventory space and press a few buttons now and then, you can easily pull in a few hundred thousand a day, while going about your normal activities.

To repeat, there's no need to grind for credits to attain enough. But even assuming that you're the worst player ever, you still have the option of grinding for credits through dailies to access the content, and it doesn't even take that long in MMO terms.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

ScarletBlaze's Avatar


ScarletBlaze
05.01.2014 , 03:08 PM | #472
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
No, no, it didn't. It's something they're going to implement in the future, not at the initial release.

It's funny how people listen to a video, hear something, and instantly start drawing conclusions without caring what the video actually said about it.
Honestly, they haven't actually said what the strongholds will or will not have at release.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Guild Roleplays: http://republicexplorerscorp.enjin.com/activity
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vLlZlR

anathemeV's Avatar


anathemeV
05.01.2014 , 05:59 PM | #473
so is this true player housing where i can sit back and chill in my stronghold and spend hours upon hours decorating it???

NeoWolf's Avatar


NeoWolf
05.01.2014 , 06:51 PM | #474
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
To repeat, there's no need to grind for credits to attain enough. But even assuming that you're the worst player ever, you still have the option of grinding for credits through dailies to access the content, and it doesn't even take that long in MMO terms.
Your missing the point and there is no way you can say for certain that everyone can earn enough as none of us know how much or even what currency if any they will require to obtain at all.

My point is and remains whatever the method they NEED to be obtainable by all sizes and type of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

And as previously noted the most ideal way to do that is to have more than one type/size of Guild Flagship.

And again perpetuating a grind of any sort for creds if indeed it comes down to creds is FAR from being a good or ideal way of doing it.
THE HIDDEN CADRE

Mature, Casual, RP-PVE, GMT, English speaking, Social, forum use required

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
05.01.2014 , 08:54 PM | #475
Quote: Originally Posted by NeoWolf View Post
My point is and remains whatever the method they NEED to be obtainable by all sizes and type of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.
In my personal opinion, Guild Flashships should have two distinct phases:

1. Getting one at all.
2. Upgrading it to kingdom-come.

I believe that #1 should be, as you say, obtainable by all sizes and types of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

I believe that #2 should be anything but. It should be expensive, should require significant time and effort on the part of its members, and should NOT be available to anyone just for showing up.

NeoWolf's Avatar


NeoWolf
05.02.2014 , 07:02 AM | #476
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
In my personal opinion, Guild Flashships should have two distinct phases:

1. Getting one at all.
2. Upgrading it to kingdom-come.

I believe that #1 should be, as you say, obtainable by all sizes and types of guilds irrespective of playstyle within a reasonable amount of time and for a reasonable amount of effort.

I believe that #2 should be anything but. It should be expensive, should require significant time and effort on the part of its members, and should NOT be available to anyone just for showing up.
I agree with you completely.
THE HIDDEN CADRE

Mature, Casual, RP-PVE, GMT, English speaking, Social, forum use required

CyberneticDucks's Avatar


CyberneticDucks
05.03.2014 , 12:37 AM | #477
it seems to me with the image of the exterior of the sky palace in the galactic living video, it looks as if all of the rooms are already there. the sky palace appears to have a pre-set model with all rooms present and pre-designed. i think you buy cc or whatever to unlock the doors to rooms that you do not have access to over time. if this speculation is true, i hope you can pick which rooms to unlock first. i would sooner unlock the long balcony on the side, than just another room.

image shown here:

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/...ce-7_thumb.jpg
people on the internet are only mean because they can get away with it

chillshock's Avatar


chillshock
05.05.2014 , 06:19 AM | #478
Can I turn the X5 into my stronghold?

I think it would look totally 'cozy' with a few clothes on the floor... uhm... I mean some fresh paint and a few trophies... like... a carbonized quinn (some sith would pay to have them frozen and shipped!)

I love the vision I'm getting with the whole anouncement and yes, better to do it right than right now. But some of the stories and classes just project the whole "roaming character" feeling.

Aries_cz's Avatar


Aries_cz
05.05.2014 , 02:48 PM | #479
Quote: Originally Posted by chillshock View Post
Can I turn the X5 into my stronghold?

I think it would look totally 'cozy' with a few clothes on the floor... uhm... I mean some fresh paint and a few trophies... like... a carbonized quinn (some sith would pay to have them frozen and shipped!)

I love the vision I'm getting with the whole anouncement and yes, better to do it right than right now. But some of the stories and classes just project the whole "roaming character" feeling.
It has been said that you cannot, because of the way that custscenes are scripted inside the ships. Allowing players to mess up with object placement could seriously damage those scenes, or the scenes would need to be reworked and made much more generic to account for different objects being there or not.
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

chillshock's Avatar


chillshock
05.08.2014 , 08:07 AM | #480
Too bad. So... they'd actually have to redo the ships interior + scripted scenes... Yeah, I can see that being not-cheap.

Still... I think that strongholds for smugglers and roaming agents i.e. are a bad idea... Just some more thing that's going to get messed up by the few dozen bounty-hunters and sith-that-hold-a-grudge...

Well... maybe I can at least put quinn naked in a room with Bodar, Broonmark, a rabid rancor and put on Barry Manilow on auto-repeat.... And then leave for a nice 5 month trip to alderanean beaches ... Maybe financed by a livecam contract....