Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Producer Letter Galactic Strongholds

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Producer Letter Galactic Strongholds
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aries_cz
04.24.2014 , 12:42 PM | #381
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
I can't help but point out this terrible logic.

There are murderers in this world.

But we might as well reward them for it, if it's going to happen anyways.

One of a thousand examples I could give for that logic being 100% awful.
That is insane logic. This is a game. If some player action happens, it should be rewarded. And as I mentioned, the very idea of Players being able to Conquer planets is begging to have PvP component
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd and Czech Alliance, Red Eclipse
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Infernixx
04.24.2014 , 12:49 PM | #382
Quote: Originally Posted by Aries_cz View Post
That is insane logic. This is a game. If some player action happens, it should be rewarded. And as I mentioned, the very idea of Players being able to Conquer planets is begging to have PvP component
As long as it doesn't impact the rest of the game, I'm all for it.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

JediMasterSLC
04.24.2014 , 01:04 PM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Why? Because the PVPers in this game have a documented and recorded history of ignoring the spirit of PVP and are known for kill-farming alts on the opposing side? Illum says hello.
Regular kill trading certainly happened, but I don't know of anyone that ever farmed alts on the opposite faction. Not many people had max level alts back then lol. People just organized it with other players through /say and such. Regardless, that was a long time ago, and it's foolish to use it as a justification for saying "sorry no open world for you guys just stay in warzones where you belong lel". It's sad that you can't even be satisfied with the fact that this new ability to "conquer" planets- which PvPers would love to be able to legitimately take part in- is primarily PvE based. No, you don't want PvPers to be able to be able to participate at all. Please, show us where the bad PvPer touched you.

Infernixx
04.24.2014 , 01:07 PM | #384
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Regular kill trading certainly happened, but I don't know of anyone that ever farmed alts on the opposite faction. Not many people had max level alts back then lol. People just organized it with other players through /say and such. Regardless, that was a long time ago, and it's foolish to use it as a justification for saying "sorry no open world for you guys just stay in warzones where you belong lel". It's sad that you can't even be satisfied with the fact that this new ability to "conquer" planets- which PvPers would love to be able to legitimately take part in- is primarily PvE based. No, you don't want PvPers to be able to be able to participate at all. Please, show us where the bad PvPer touched you.
PVPers are certainly free to partake in whatever PVE content they wish. They're simply not allowed to kill-farm like they did on Illum. If you have an idea of how to do PVP in a way that ensures that kill-farming can't happen again, then by all means, let's hear it.
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

JediMasterSLC
04.24.2014 , 01:17 PM | #385
PVPers are certainly free to partake in whatever PVE content they wish.
Awww, you really mean it? Deep down, I've always really wanted to be a carebear.

Infernixx
04.24.2014 , 01:23 PM | #386
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterSLC View Post
Awww, you really mean it? Deep down, I've always really wanted to be a carebear.
Show us where the PVEer touched you.

Pagy
04.24.2014 , 01:23 PM | #387
I didn't.

I merely commented that any PVP aspect has to be balanced around the reality that PVPers in this game have a reputation for ignoring the spirit of PVP and simply farm kills on their friends' opposing faction alts.
you're dictating what "has to" happen on servers that you don't play on?

the spirit of pvp is to kill opposing faction players. your example is just that.

Infernixx
04.24.2014 , 01:26 PM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
you're dictating what "has to" happen on servers that you don't play on?

the spirit of pvp is to kill opposing faction players. your example is just that.
Correction, the spirit of PVP is to kill opposing players who are fighting back. The 'letter' of PVP is simply killing opposing players.

Technically, killing someone who's standing there letting you kill him is Player vs Player, but it's not in the spirit of the game to do so. And yet, many PVPers are known to have done this.

That's why they have to be treated like children and the game designed to ensure that they can't ignore the spirit of PVPing.

BadOrb
04.24.2014 , 01:30 PM | #389
Quote: Originally Posted by Arthuriuan View Post
In the email sent out yesterday, there is the line:

Conquest Events: use the power of your Stronghold to dominate these events and earn rewards.

You've always refered to player housing as a Stronghold and Guild housing as a Flagship. Can I read this to be that we will use our personal Stronghold somehow to compete in these events? Or, should it have been Flagship and not Stronghold?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that , it seems from reading it a few times and the lines of text after it , about guild ships , that indeed these conquest events might not only be for guilds but individuals owning strongholds too. It's a shame eric didn't post about it really as many asked if there would be content for people outside of guilds.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

DarthDymond
04.24.2014 , 01:32 PM | #390
Correction, the spirit of PVP is to kill opposing players who are fighting back. The 'letter' of PVP is simply killing opposing players.

Technically, killing someone who's standing there letting you kill him is Player vs Player, but it's not in the spirit of the game to do so. And yet, many PVPers are known to have done this.

That's why they have to be treated like children and the game designed to ensure that they can't ignore the spirit of PVPing.
Where are you getting evidence that kill-trading has ever been a serious problem with this game? Your own anecdotal experience?

Forgive me, but that sounds like a pretty shaky foundation for sweeping claims about how PVPers "have to be treated".

Has it ever happened? Sure. But there's also been win-trading in Arenas, that doesn't mean the whole concept of Ranked PVP should be thrown out.
Given the choice whether to rule a corrupt and failing empire or to challenge the fates for another throw, a better throw, against one's destiny, what was a king to do?
But does one ever truly have a choice? One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
~Kain