Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Outdated information on Holonet

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Outdated information on Holonet
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DOHboy
04.22.2014 , 10:16 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Why though?
That may be their reasoning, but why not release new armor sets per difficulty.

The new NIM armor is the HM stuff with glowy bits.
And no, the HM's weren't the hardest content, don't even get me started on that.

You also failed to answer why PVP and PVE need the same sets of gear.
Ok lets get this out in the air..are you wanting more designs? or new mods? If you don't understand why PVP and PVE gear need to be balanced (at least as far as the mods are concerned) what happens the moment one is better than the other, well people start running OPS in PVP gear since that is now better than anything they can get, putting those who dont' PVP at a disadvantage.

The alternative is PVE gear is better and people start running PVP in non PVP gear, meaning those who don't run ops and choose to PVP are now also at a disadvantage and holy hell would break loose on the forums.

Right now the game is stuck at 55lvl. When you create operations you basically have 2 components you can mix to create a "harder experience" Health and damage. With damage you can cause bosses to hit harder, hit more often, hit more people or a combination there in. Additionally you can reduce that with defensive stats, more health, and more healing. The bosses in the meantime will have more health also, more defensive type abilities/mechanics. Rather than adding pure health/damage they can reduce thigns like chance to hit, chance to crit, damage on crit etc.

When everyone was 50 they had 3 sets of gear, Tio, columi, rakata. once everyone was maxed on the Rakata and realized they had most of the end game content cleared. They did 2 things.

1) Introduced new nightmare ops and new ops with an additional change in gear, the previous BIS became the average, the previous average became the beginner, and beginner became classic. Once people got passed that gear they
2) introduced new char levels (55) and with that dropped the accuracy/crit/surge/def/shield/absorb stats to reflect the next increase in gear. once that stat flush was done, they could then add new gear and allow people to progress wthout the things becoming obscene.

We are not back to phase 1 meaning the operations and char levels are such that adding more gear will not necessarily change anything, requiring additional char levels and probably reworking stats so that when the new gear is added we are not getting things like 150% accuracy or 100% crit and 100% surge or 75% defense

What is the current norm, will be intro at best. And we will have to work to again approach the current status quo.

As for PVP, same thing. They can't keep adding new gear (at least with stats) lest they outpace PVE and create an imbalance or create obscene stats like having 150% accuracy or something like that. so until you get a level increase that clears that status quo and creates a new baseline. you are going to get things like mounts, pets, etc. as incentives for PVP over gear.

So far we have had only 1 level cap increase at 15 months, the second increase will come with 2.8 (3.0?) and will probably be dropping around Q4 this year.

We will probably have one more level of gear with the new NM operations at which point beyond that we will have stat chanages to keep things balanced. At which point you'll get your new PVP gear and PVE gear and 5 new levels with operations to obtain it.

SW_display_name
04.22.2014 , 11:35 PM | #42

What abilities are on the Sniper page linked that Snipers don't actually have?

Oh. A few outdated talents in Marksmanship and a couple pre-2.0 things from Engi/Lethal.

None of those details are really that disappointing, are they? It's just a couple missing procs, and there's replacement designs instead.

Like I agree, it's inaccurate, but the general idea about the class is still correct. Just seems zero-priority IMO.

ArchangelLBC
04.23.2014 , 03:22 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
Gear progression for PVE is tied to the new ops. Most people don't even bother with the new gear and just use the mods to put in adaptive gear. They only add new gear, when they add new level of ops (since that is the only reason you need the gear). So the dreadforged and oriconian were added as part of the 2.4 update back in October. The level 180s just became available for crafting and only recently available outside of the hardest operations for purchase via ultimate comms. Previously was only available from DP HM.

They will be adding a new level of gear with the drop of DF/DP nightmare mode as well as with the increase in level cap probalby with the next batch of story arch coming out.

PVP gear is another issue and is typically tied to the PVP seasons, which they just released season 2 i believe. Again, most people are using adaptive gear and just use the mods. So unless there is a level cap, PVP gear isn't needed since we're all at the same level already. Thus alternative rewards are issued (mounts)

tl'dr New gear only drops with new ops in PVE since that is where it comes from. PVP gear is tied to char level.
You're missing the point. People put mods into adaptive gear because
a) They don't want to pay for more augment kits
b) The new armor is ugly.

Token gear being reskins (if that) of Comm gear is nothing new. PVE gear being the same skin as PVP gear is pretty new though. Either way the problem with the CM is that the art team there obviously is capable of pumping out lots of new designs pretty quickly as evidenced by the quick pace of new pack gear. The question is why can't some of those designs be made PVE or PVP gear instead? Why can't some of those designs be given as new schematics (maybe they even come from the CM so we have the best of both worlds) for Synthweavers and Armortechs?

Clearly they have the resources to give us new sets of gear instead of lazy reskins with one basic skin for all facets of the game. Just as clearly those resources are going almost exclusively to the CM.

But hey BW knows what side their bread is buttered on eh? Yeah that's kind of the point.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Selenial
04.23.2014 , 06:55 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by DOHboy View Post
Ok lets get this out in the air..are you wanting more designs? or new mods? If you don't understand why PVP and PVE gear need to be balanced (at least as far as the mods are concerned) what happens the moment one is better than the other, well people start running OPS in PVP gear since that is now better than anything they can get, putting those who dont' PVP at a disadvantage.

The alternative is PVE gear is better and people start running PVP in non PVP gear, meaning those who don't run ops and choose to PVP are now also at a disadvantage and holy hell would break loose on the forums.

Right now the game is stuck at 55lvl. When you create operations you basically have 2 components you can mix to create a "harder experience" Health and damage. With damage you can cause bosses to hit harder, hit more often, hit more people or a combination there in. Additionally you can reduce that with defensive stats, more health, and more healing. The bosses in the meantime will have more health also, more defensive type abilities/mechanics. Rather than adding pure health/damage they can reduce thigns like chance to hit, chance to crit, damage on crit etc.

When everyone was 50 they had 3 sets of gear, Tio, columi, rakata. once everyone was maxed on the Rakata and realized they had most of the end game content cleared. They did 2 things.

1) Introduced new nightmare ops and new ops with an additional change in gear, the previous BIS became the average, the previous average became the beginner, and beginner became classic. Once people got passed that gear they
2) introduced new char levels (55) and with that dropped the accuracy/crit/surge/def/shield/absorb stats to reflect the next increase in gear. once that stat flush was done, they could then add new gear and allow people to progress wthout the things becoming obscene.

We are not back to phase 1 meaning the operations and char levels are such that adding more gear will not necessarily change anything, requiring additional char levels and probably reworking stats so that when the new gear is added we are not getting things like 150% accuracy or 100% crit and 100% surge or 75% defense

What is the current norm, will be intro at best. And we will have to work to again approach the current status quo.

As for PVP, same thing. They can't keep adding new gear (at least with stats) lest they outpace PVE and create an imbalance or create obscene stats like having 150% accuracy or something like that. so until you get a level increase that clears that status quo and creates a new baseline. you are going to get things like mounts, pets, etc. as incentives for PVP over gear.

So far we have had only 1 level cap increase at 15 months, the second increase will come with 2.8 (3.0?) and will probably be dropping around Q4 this year.

We will probably have one more level of gear with the new NM operations at which point beyond that we will have stat chanages to keep things balanced. At which point you'll get your new PVP gear and PVE gear and 5 new levels with operations to obtain it.
Im talking purely cosmetic here. Nothing to do in with mods or balancing.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Posted the prologue of fanfic Echoes.

TheSupaCoopa
04.23.2014 , 07:29 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
You're missing the point. People put mods into adaptive gear because
a) They don't want to pay for more augment kits
b) The new armor is ugly.

Token gear being reskins (if that) of Comm gear is nothing new. PVE gear being the same skin as PVP gear is pretty new though. Either way the problem with the CM is that the art team there obviously is capable of pumping out lots of new designs pretty quickly as evidenced by the quick pace of new pack gear. The question is why can't some of those designs be made PVE or PVP gear instead? Why can't some of those designs be given as new schematics (maybe they even come from the CM so we have the best of both worlds) for Synthweavers and Armortechs?

Clearly they have the resources to give us new sets of gear instead of lazy reskins with one basic skin for all facets of the game. Just as clearly those resources are going almost exclusively to the CM.

But hey BW knows what side their bread is buttered on eh? Yeah that's kind of the point.
Duran'del here(hello boys! IM BAAAAACK! )

It's because casuals would see the new armor for PvP/PvE and complain that "its too hard to get". The alternative option is to put the new designs in the CM, which everyone had access to.

Of course, that's only my theory. But I also have a theory that Black Holes are gateways to other universes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe a bit more. But don't dehydrate yourself. It'll weigh horribly on my conscience if you do.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

horrorfaneightys
04.24.2014 , 04:05 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSupaCoopa View Post
Duran'del here(hello boys! IM BAAAAACK! )

It's because casuals would see the new armor for PvP/PvE and complain that "its too hard to get". The alternative option is to put the new designs in the CM, which everyone had access to.

Of course, that's only my theory. But I also have a theory that Black Holes are gateways to other universes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Maybe a bit more. But don't dehydrate yourself. It'll weigh horribly on my conscience if you do.
Not every casual would complain - I accept that by not taking part in all of the content, I don't have access to all of the achievements and stuff that said content provides.
Xaniata-kee Morga-dar Li'lu-fei Aiden-grey Jadze Sangui Lavent Rou'n Nua'mi Bloodsigh Argeia

My referral link - http://www.swtor.com/r/PsR795

DartDaya
01.27.2015 , 05:39 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Totally understand how that would be annoying! Updating the Holonet and other areas of SWTOR.com is one of my big projects this year. I do not have a timeline for you yet since this is a pretty big undertaking, but we are actively working on this behind the scenes!
Hey Courtney. Are you still actively working on this?

Bachannal
01.27.2015 , 06:07 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by DartDaya View Post
Hey Courtney. Are you still actively working on this?
"Actively" - heavy on the air quotes.

Still the old class descriptions and such up akaik. Mind you, she commented on that last year, lol.

Cay_Chamma
01.27.2015 , 06:07 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
No one complains about new gear sets.

We don't get new gear sets >.>

I complained about all of the cyborg series armor sets. I hate each and every one of them. I just haven't complained on the forums.

Until now, I guess...

Bachannal
01.27.2015 , 06:10 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Cay_Chamma View Post
I complained about all of the cyborg series armor sets. I hate each and every one of them. I just haven't complained on the forums.

Until now, I guess...
Aka "the sets of armor that never sell on GTN"

(well, except Series 858 - for some reason those sell for a ton)