Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What drives the economy

Khevar
04.21.2014 , 09:25 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
People see fairly regular items listed for 50,000 credits and freak out a bit, because of all those Zeros, but it would only be 5g in many fantasy MMOs.
Can you imagine the number of Zeros that will be attatched to Guild flashships.

(Realizing that I'm about to derail my own thread) , I imagine that Guild ships could very well end up being the most significant credit sink in the game. Imagine 30 million * 100 guilds for the uber-everything-unlock, and 8 million * 500 guilds for the standard unlock.

My purely imaginary numbers (that I completely pulled out of my bumm) would result in 7 billion credits worth of liquid assets being removed from circulation and destroyed.

O.o

Vandicus
04.21.2014 , 09:27 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I think one of the reasons people think TOR has inflation problems is because BioWare don't break the currency down into tiers like most Fantasy MMOs do, in other words, Zeros are confusing.

In TOR we have just credits, but in many MMO's you have Copper/Silver/Gold. 100 Credits would be roughly equal to 1 Silver in many MMOs, and 10,000 Credits would be roughly equal to 1 Gold. People see fairly regular items listed for 50,000 credits and freak out a bit, because of all those Zeros, but it would only be 5g in many fantasy MMOs.
Inflation problems? Please elaborate. Many of the raw material markets are practically depressingly competitive, and end-game mods will usually be crafted at cost.. Augmentation kits are less than half the price they were for months after 2.0. Augments themselves have stabilized somewhere between 20-40k cheaper than they were just over half a year ago.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Khevar
04.21.2014 , 09:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Inflation problems? Please elaborate.
I understood his post to say that there are people that THINK there is inflation, because they see big numbers. Not that there actually IS inflation.

Vandicus
04.21.2014 , 09:32 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I understood his post to say that there are people that THINK there is inflation, because they see big numbers. Not that there actually IS inflation.
Ah. Yeah I get what he's saying there. Most of the people who come on to the forums to complain about inflation seem to think that 1 million credits is outrageously large, and 20k is highway robbery for a piece of gear.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

PLynkes
04.22.2014 , 01:27 AM | #25
Yes, when one sees a bunch of zeroes in the price of what amounts to a pair of sweat bands, it puts one in mind of Weimar Germany and Hyperinflation. It just feels wrong to see so many zeroes in a price if you're not buying a car or a house.

slafko
04.22.2014 , 05:37 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by ShadowMudkip View Post
Instead, I believe that a credit sink should be applied to priority transport abilities. For a certain amount of credits (Scales with levels) you can reduce the amount of time a certain priority transport has left on its cooldown. For example, for 50k you can reset your fleet pass (at level 55).
This would not help anything.

Traveling to the Fleet takes like 5 minutes if you're on a planet. You go the spaceport, board your ship, fly to the Fleet for zero credits and exit your ship. This process only takes so long because of poor loading times when changing zones. It doesn't cost any credits aside the expenses for using local planetary taxi. Which are negligible.

Paying 50k for Fleet Pass Reset in order to save a few minutes of zoning is very overpriced. Why? Because it takes a lot longer than a few minutes to get those 50k. I can solo Republic's Black Hole Daily area (including heroic) in about 13 minutes when there's not much people running around and clicking objectives. So, let's say 15 minutes on a regular afternoon. That entire run gives me about 70k credits in quest rewards and drops.

Why on Earth would I spend 15 minutes gathering credits only to spend those credits on something that saves me three minutes of travel time? Makes no sense.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Andryah
04.22.2014 , 12:15 PM | #27
Ah. Yeah I get what he's saying there. Most of the people who come on to the forums to complain about inflation seem to think that 1 million credits is outrageously large, and 20k is highway robbery for a piece of gear.
Probably the same people that come to the forum and complain about being broke all the time in game too.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Andryah
04.22.2014 , 12:22 PM | #28
Even relatively undesirable cartel items will become worth significant amounts over time. This leads me to believe that the perception that something is difficult to acquire causes people to value that object more, which makes the market appear to be driven by the concept of "how difficult is this to acquire", which we measure in credits, over the long haul.
No disagreement here.

I make most of my credits off these people.... feeding their desires with my stored inventory of goodies that were dumped on the market as common junk initially and then became high value in the economy as they became scarce.

I see this as all about players craving items and those items subject to the price pressures of supply and demand. This is something that works exceptionally well in modern MMOs where there is a central selling mechanism like the GTN for the server economy.

Which is why I think ESO really blew it by localizing their in game markets to inside of guild membership only. That approach really stifles the economy IMO, but it is a bit novel in approach for an MMO so it will be interesting to see how players cope with the constraints and if ESO has to backpedal and move player selling markets into the open economy. Personally, I think they will back peddle on this and move to the LoTRO model where the in game auction house has two channels (Guild only listings, and open listings for all). Time will tell. Personally, I find the SWTOR economy to be one of the best I have experienced to date in a young MMO.
A Good Read ---> Truth Decay - An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life. Source: Rand Corporation https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2314.html

Heal-To-Full
04.22.2014 , 12:30 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
Paying 50k for Fleet Pass Reset in order to save a few minutes of zoning is very overpriced. Why? Because it takes a lot longer than a few minutes to get those 50k.
The Fleet Pass doesn't even have a cooldown. So I don't quite get what the idea is.

After using your EFP, you're at most 1 minute away from priority terminal to everywhere.

Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
My purely imaginary numbers (that I completely pulled out of my bumm) would result in 7 trillion credits worth of liquid assets being removed from circulation and destroyed.
Billion. Not trillion.

Also, in 7 billion credits, not liquid assets worth 7 billion credits.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

Vandicus
04.22.2014 , 12:33 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Which is why I think ESO really blew it by localizing their in game markets to inside of guild membership only. That approach really stifles the economy IMO, but it is a bit novel in approach for an MMO so it will be interesting to see how players cope with the constraints and if ESO has to backpedal and move player selling markets into the open economy. Personally, I think they will back peddle on this and move to the LoTRO model where the in game auction house has two channels (Guild only listings, and open listings for all). Time will tell. Personally, I find the SWTOR economy to be one of the best I have experienced to date in a young MMO.
I think the player base will hate it(the lack of an AH in ESO that is). Its interesting from the point of view of an experiment regarding behavior in a less sophisticated economy, but a pain in the *** for both consumers and sellers alike. The only people who benefit from it are those who like to take advantage of inconsistent availability of information on prices to gouge people.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!