Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Chrisweaver's Avatar


Chrisweaver
04.22.2014 , 03:56 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
This is a little bit of an aside, but I'm curious as to what the more invested PvP'ers think on the issue.

I've recently started to PvP again in this game. For the longest time I was primarily a PvE'er (Raids/HMs/some NiM content at level), but recently got the urge to try PvP again. I played some at launch, but by the time I got into it, the expertise/abilities/lvl difference kind of put me off a bit.

But that being said, I've found that since I've started again I've grown to like it more. I'm certainly a better player than I was at launch and I don't feel as overwhelmed as I did back then (I know a lot has changed fundementally, as well).

I've been running regs quite frequently. Have a mix of Obroan and Brutalizer, augments, somewhat min/maxed etc. Have a good understanding of most class abilities, but I'm sure there are still a lot of situational tip/tricks to be learned, just through more experience.

I also agree that ranked is there for winning and competition and have no issue with the ranked rewards being for ranked wins.

But I'm at the point where I'm curious as to how I would fair in ranked, and if more competition would actually help me improve more. If you guys could have it your way, would you think someone like myself would be better off in solo queue or group queue. Granted the group queue would probably be people with similar skill sets as mine.

I guess even bigger picture: If one queue were more of a "Test to see if you're ready for Ranked" and one more "Serious Ranked Here" which way would you guys want it to be? And I know in a perfect world ELO blah, blah, blah you'd be grouped with and against similar players, but I don't want to hear about semantics, just if you had to separate the distinction in queues, which way would you prefer it to be.
You are about ready to start getting involved in the ranked environment. All you need in order to be ready to step into a solo arena as far as gear is conserned is at least full obroan augmented + brutalizer relics. A basic understanding of other classes burst phases and cc/roots is important in order not to be surprised, because things happen fast sometimes. Everyone starts somewhere so get in there now and learn the different strategies an powerful comps. Try discussing not just who your team will target, but also who the opposite team will be targeting and how this will affect your positioning. Now is actually the best time as there is no rating so teams aren't as scared to lose.

As far as the community thinks about new ranked players coming into ranked. I believe that most of us would love more people queuing as long as you are ready to try your best, know your class, listen, focus target, and take the blame for the loss
Bibidi -Sorcerer 55 Vťgeta-Maurader 55
Chreal-Sniper 55 Gorrilla-Powertech 55
Bobidi-Assassin 55 Majin-BŁŁ-Mercenary 55
Chržst "the risen"-Juggernaut 55 The Bastion

tanerb's Avatar


tanerb
04.22.2014 , 03:57 PM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
a whole bunch of drooling window lickers
You need help dude.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
04.22.2014 , 04:04 PM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
There is a place for everyone who wants to PvP, but it is not ranked. If you MUST queue for ranked, at least find 3 other unskilled/undergeared players to queue for 4s so that you can get team globalled and not harm the potential enjoyment of 3 other people on your team. If you are looking to get involved in the PvP world or looking to improve, play regs. The queues are faster, the caliber of play isn't as high, and there are rewards fitting of the skill required to obtain them..
I disagree with you here. ranked matches are serious (insofar as any game's matches can be). that doesn't mean you have to be good. that means you have to give it a legit shot. show up with appropriate gear and consumables. not require the crutch of bolster. I don't think there's a feasible way to enforce augs and consumables, but enforcing exp gear and removing bolster ARE feasible.

you also have to consider that being "bad" is highly subjective. I had some jerk refuse to queue because I was not an effective tank...while being pressured into switching into ion cell before the match in the first place (full AP). in his eyes, I was a bad. iunno. I won a lot more matches than I lost (mostly after AP was nerfed). I won matches on the same night on and against the same players (i.e., regardless who was on my team), and I had win streaks of 20 and 30 games over the course of a weekend. doesn't make me leet sauce, but "bad"? I mean...you just cannot allow subjective distinctions like that to matter. in the solo q, you need to accept that you will be teamed with and against lesser players. the matchmaking system will (or should) eventually take over (albiet there are clear flaws). in any case, "if you're bad, don't queue" isn't a feasible criteria. it's too subjective.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjšck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Dežnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
04.22.2014 , 04:11 PM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by Groncho View Post
2018 expertise
min
to get a RWZ pop
just want to reiterate that with a minimum exp requirement, there would be NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR BOLSTER IN RATED. this is because any single pvp mod (even just a barrel) would drop you below 2018 exp. if everyone's in exp gear...well....what's the point of bolster? are we worried that someone's still wearing partisain? or w/e came after ewh...
A legacy of meh
Krackerjšck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Dežnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Smuglebunny's Avatar


Smuglebunny
04.22.2014 , 04:57 PM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
This is understandable and will happen to many players, even me no doubt =/

However we feel that having wins be the only criteria is a better way to go instead of making them games played. This is because of the incentive to play the gamemode for the right reasons (to win) is much lower for someone who is just interested in completing the daily/weekly. A percentage of the Ranked population would be queuing just to complete a quest and that would be detrimental to the team. We feel Games Played with an incentive (Double counts for Wins) is more acceptable in Unranked games because of the larger team size (less personal impact on if your team wins or loses) and more casual atmosphere.

This is our current philosophy on the choice we made but if it isn't working out we will make adjustments where and when possible.

Cheers!
And then I resubbed...

Over the last like...3-4 weeks Im hating BW less. I still disagree with a few things but now I feel like someone somewhere in there is trying...

Groncho's Avatar


Groncho
04.22.2014 , 05:22 PM | #196
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
just want to reiterate that with a minimum exp requirement, there would be NO REASON WHATSOEVER FOR BOLSTER IN RATED. this is because any single pvp mod (even just a barrel) would drop you below 2018 exp. if everyone's in exp gear...well....what's the point of bolster? are we worried that someone's still wearing partisain? or w/e came after ewh...
that's why im calling for a 2018 filter to get a RWZ pop
ChŽ
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=

_Adisa_'s Avatar


_Adisa_
04.22.2014 , 05:55 PM | #197
This thread has gone past the line of crazy and looped back around...which kind of makes it still crazy but twice as much so -Cycao
Axva
<Haukuna Matata>
Pot5

Nexus'one, Badlifechoices, Axxva, Lil'stinker

L-RANDLE's Avatar


L-RANDLE
04.22.2014 , 08:28 PM | #198
Quote: Originally Posted by Groncho View Post
that's why im calling for a 2018 filter to get a RWZ pop
That won't have a positive effect. I know why you guys ask for that, but just think about it. You get gear by afking in regs. Why the hell would that make sense to "need to do" before you play ranked? No augments and stims have a MUCH greater impact that bolster.

Being able to Que for ranked should be based on augments and experience.
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Zakmonster's Avatar


Zakmonster
04.22.2014 , 09:34 PM | #199
There have been a few posts already about how the new daily will fail because the old daily failed. Old Warzone dailies used to require wins only, and a lot of people had trouble completing them because of faction imbalance, and because a lot of morons were just deathmatching instead of going for objectives (which is how you win Warzones).

But guess what? Current ranked is all deathmatching. There are no objectives to be had in Arena outside of killing the other people on the other team. All these morons who deathmatched in Warzones will be deathmatching in Arena and therefore completing the objective.

So now, if you lose and can't complete your daily, its because you suck. There are better players out there who stack the deck in their favor (proper composition, better gear, better keybinds, etc) because they want to win more than you do.


And the main reason why ranked queues are not popping?

Because people don't like Arena. They prefer Warzones, but there are no more ranked Warzones.


Bring back ranked Warzones. Allow solo queue, but with a minimum gear requirement to even start queueing.
The Harbinger Server: Caezia - Level 55 Vanguard / Cezia - Level 55 Powertech / Zaethia - Level 55 Guardian / Xaethia - Level 33 Scoundrel / Caedia - Level 50 Vanguard / Vaknia - Level 27 Mercenary / Xethia - Level 28 Marauder / Zefia - Level 33 Sorcerer / Zethia- Level 38 Commando

Groncho's Avatar


Groncho
04.22.2014 , 10:10 PM | #200
Quote: Originally Posted by L-RANDLE View Post
That won't have a positive effect. I know why you guys ask for that, but just think about it. You get gear by afking in regs. Why the hell would that make sense to "need to do" before you play ranked? No augments and stims have a MUCH greater impact that bolster.

Being able to Que for ranked should be based on augments and experience.
ok, maybe an armor rating+expertise combination?
ChŽ
LATIN LOVER
Free Transfer??=