Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ranked daily/weeklies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Ranked daily/weeklies
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Transairion
04.22.2014 , 12:19 AM | #91
Quote:
Ranked is not about participation. Its about winning.
Then I hope you're ready to enjoy not winning, because the few new people that bother queing are going to lose. A lot.

Winning should be about the massive increase in comms, rating, and getting the Daily/Weekly done at super speed. It shouldn't be able getting 1 point to the Daily/Weekly at all.

JediMasterSLC
04.22.2014 , 12:28 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by idnewton View Post
The reason I don't think there should be missions for solo-queue is very simple. If all the undergeareds and bads are queuing for solo queue, leaving matches and doing nothing, is solo ranked any different from regs? The rewards at the end are different, yes, but this will effectively kill the solo ranked queue type altogether. Leaderboards will be based solely on extreme luck, whereas now the skilled player can be the deciding factor.
Ok, why the f*** do so many people think a simple daily ranked quest is going to cause all the bads to come flooding in. You already get ranked comms from the match itself- this daily will just be an augment to that. There is nothing fundamental about the rewards from this quest. It is not a big deal. It is basically just getting a little extra comms for your first few wins every day. This might bring some more terribads/undergeareds, but most of them aren't gonna be stupid enough to leave a game just because they don't think they're gonna win, unless they just get roflstomped the first round- in which case their team's not gonna win anyway. You already get far more comms from winning a ranked game than losing- a quest just somewhat magnifies this reality. I'll take bets now that this will not "kill the solo ranked queue type altogether". Like honestly, think.
55s: POT5- Kakarrotx-Sent, Paraguss-Sorc, Brawlly-Jug, Meleehealer-Mara
Bastion- Greenn-Mando, Radishz-Scoundrel, Trunkks-Shadow, Burdok-Sniper, Lettucce-PT

Transairion
04.22.2014 , 12:33 AM | #93
Quote:
Long post, skimmed through it, but what I got was that you don't enjoy doing ranked because you lose a lot because of reasons. However, you're going to cowboy up and take it, so that you can grind out a full set of Berserker, after grinding out a full set of Obroan from regs.
I don't/didn't enjoy PvP as a whole pre-server merge because on my server Imperials dominated PvP and I was Republic, so at the time doing the Daily usually didn't happen and the Weekly was basically impossible most weeks and that was only 7 wins.

Already have a full set of Conqueror now, so full expertise, but since I can't exchange that for Obroan anymore I do have to basically "rebuy" the lowest set all over again yes.

Quote:
But I have a question: What are you going to do after you've gotten full Berserker?

Continue participating in ranked and getting stomped by the same players?

Go back to regs and stomp undergeared PvE carebears trying to get relics for their healer alts?

Sit in a dark room and cry?

I mean, is there a thing that happens when you get full Berserker? Does Jaesa Wilsaam pop out of your monitor and suck you off or something?

Why is getting full Berserker the goal of your entire play, instead of having fun doing the things you like?

Assuming I get to full Berserker I'll go back to regular Warzones and use those regular comms to buy any PvP items I still like the look of (gamble boxes, mount/pets that kinda of thing). More importantly it'll mean I'll finally "up to par" for the current tier, and I'll actually be able to upgrade from Berserker to whatever-the-next-tier-is directly in months/a year down the line.

But why have that goal at all, why "ruin my games you filthy noob" to get there? Guild mostly. And because I choose to PvP, and no matter how low people's opinions of me I'm still trying to win, I'm not throwing or afking, and simply because you don't like it doesn't prevent me from queing.

cashogy_reborn
04.22.2014 , 12:33 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Transairion View Post
Then I hope you're ready to enjoy not winning, because the few new people that bother queing are going to lose. A lot.

Winning should be about the massive increase in comms, rating, and getting the Daily/Weekly done at super speed. It shouldn't be able getting 1 point to the Daily/Weekly at all.
I am done with the joke that is Ranked PvP in this game. Sub canceled, yada yada yada.

Inevitably the devs will likely cave to the ever growing crowd of casual baddies, and Ranked will get participation rewards (it already does btw, you get comms for losing still).

But I say again, Ranked is not about participation; its about winning. If you lose, figure out why. There is going to always be something different you can do in the next one to improve your game. However, there are a minuscule number of players interested in improving their own play. If they lose, its the other teams fault: they had better class composition, they had better players, my team sucked, the other side had a premade, etc etc. Sometimes, those are valid reasons for losing. But if you are losing a lot (more than you win), those are no longer valid reasons.

Personal responsibility for ones own performance is almost non-existent. If you want to win in Ranked, learn how to play better.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

howieloader
04.22.2014 , 12:35 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
Long post, skimmed through it, but what I got was that you don't enjoy doing ranked because you lose a lot because of reasons. However, you're going to cowboy up and take it, so that you can grind out a full set of Berserker, after grinding out a full set of Obroan from regs.

But I have a question: What are you going to do after you've gotten full Berserker?

Continue participating in ranked and getting stomped by the same players?

Go back to regs and stomp undergeared PvE carebears trying to get relics for their healer alts?

Sit in a dark room and cry?

I mean, is there a thing that happens when you get full Berserker? Does Jaesa Wilsaam pop out of your monitor and suck you off or something?

Why is getting full Berserker the goal of your entire play, instead of having fun doing the things you like?
WTB

/5char

MCaliban
04.22.2014 , 12:36 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Zakmonster View Post
Better gear for better gear's sake is part of playing an MMO RPG. At level 55, climbing gear ranks is a form of progression.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

cashogy_reborn
04.22.2014 , 12:42 AM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by MCaliban View Post
Better gear for better gear's sake is part of playing an MMO RPG. At level 55, climbing gear ranks is a form of progression.
For bads maybe.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Transairion
04.22.2014 , 12:43 AM | #98
Quote:
I am done with the joke that is Ranked PvP in this game. Sub canceled, yada yada yada.

Inevitably the devs will likely cave to the ever growing crowd of casual baddies, and Ranked will get participation rewards (it already does btw, you get comms for losing still).

But I say again, Ranked is not about participation; its about winning. If you lose, figure out why. There is going to always be something different you can do in the next one to improve your game. However, there are a minuscule number of players interested in improving their own play. If they lose, its the other teams fault: they had better class composition, they had better players, my team sucked, the other side had a premade, etc etc. Sometimes, those are valid reasons for losing. But if you are losing a lot (more than you win), those are no longer valid reasons.

Personal responsibility for ones own performance is almost non-existent. If you want to win in Ranked, learn how to play better.

Obligatory "You're just bad" response. If it were 1 v 1 then maybe it'd hold weight, because it'd be very clear where one is going wrong. Less so when it's 4 v 4 and certain classes are head and shoulders above the rest, and certain specs are simply just awful in comparison. That's not an exaggeration either.

I'm just not the type of person who dumps their main to reroll a "viable" class just so I can PvP.

JediMasterSLC
04.22.2014 , 12:44 AM | #99
Now you're doing it again but with Ranked, which is even MORE lopsided? Most Arenas are a brutal slaughter by the same people, playing the same classes over and over again. And matching silly teams against workable teams (2 DPS 2 Tanks VS 2 DPS 2 Healers??).
That does not happen in ranked, you're thinking of reg arenas.

Here's whats going to happen: Once I finish my Oboran set I will que only for Ranked since I'll need so many Ranked comms to get Berserker. I will get destroyed over and over and over again, but I'll still be earning a tiny amount of Ranked comms (which is more than I'll get from regular PvP). I will keep queing despite getting destroyed until I'm sick of doing it for the day, and maybe by chance I'll get a win or two in as well despite everything.
You can already do this now. A new daily quest is not going to significantly incentivize gearing up this way.

Why do most PvPers not queue for ranked? 1) They don't like arenas. These quests will not affect them, since ranked is already a superior form of gearing up to regs: so if they cared about getting gearing up faster enough to overcome their dislike of arenas, they'd already be doing ranked. 2) They're undergeared and don't want to get roflstomped. This will also not affect them. 3) Regs pop faster, ranked is not a guaranteed pop. This might affect them, as the presence of a quest could provide the notion of "ranked might pop faster now since people probably want to make use of this new quest". Increase the general perception that more people are queuing, and more people will queue. That's what this quest is for.
55s: POT5- Kakarrotx-Sent, Paraguss-Sorc, Brawlly-Jug, Meleehealer-Mara
Bastion- Greenn-Mando, Radishz-Scoundrel, Trunkks-Shadow, Burdok-Sniper, Lettucce-PT

MCaliban
04.22.2014 , 12:54 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
For bads maybe.
I'm not sure I agree that people who want better gear just because it's better are bads. Especially as working to get better and better gear seems the cornerstone of end game content.

Presumably there's a reason BioWare doesn't just hand out full Brutilizer sets when you hit level 55 and say "We're sure you'll continue playing PvP all the time now that there are no external rewards and the matches are all about skill!"
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.