Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
04.19.2014 , 02:57 PM | #31
this is rich. The OP wants to get rid of people with his version of "stupid names" which are really names from other stuff that people are role-playing as ( on an RP server) and basically restrict peoples name freedom just because HE does not like them, so in essence the OP wants to essentially add restrictions to role-playing ON AN RP SERVER.
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preffered and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE to prove it's legit

Wylf's Avatar


Wylf
04.19.2014 , 03:15 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
this is rich. The OP wants to get rid of people with his version of "stupid names" which are really names from other stuff that people are role-playing as ( on an RP server)
Oh please. That argument you're bringing there? Utterly worthless. There are many things one could argue are wrong about the OPs post, but the names he mentioned are all more or less unfitting, with the exception of maybe "Sithborn" which would work as a nickname.

You can't honestly tell me that those people are 'roleplaying' as Spiderman, Sirfapsalot and Hulk Hogan. And if you, in fact, are telling me that, allow me to laugh in your face: Ahahahahahaha.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

Heal-To-Full's Avatar


Heal-To-Full
04.19.2014 , 03:17 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
You can't honestly tell me that those people are 'roleplaying' as ... Sirfapsalot
In my experience, about 75% of pugs are roleplaying as that one.
What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence of the Sith race and the Sith people, the glory of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the Empire, so that we may fulfill the mission allotted us by the Force itself. Everything must be examined from this point of view and used or rejected according to its utility.

Wylf's Avatar


Wylf
04.19.2014 , 03:20 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Heal-To-Full View Post
In my experience, about 75% of pugs are roleplaying as that one.
Touché.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
04.19.2014 , 03:22 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
Oh please. That argument you're bringing there? Utterly worthless. There are many things one could argue are wrong about the OPs post, but the names he mentioned are all more or less unfitting, with the exception of maybe "Sithborn" which would work as a nickname.

You can't honestly tell me that those people are 'roleplaying' as Spiderman, Sirfapsalot and Hulk Hogan. And if you, in fact, are telling me that, allow me to laugh in your face: Ahahahahahaha.
I have seen a hulk Hogan actually, true that guys character looked hideous and was pretty much wearing only the bottoms of the cartel market male stripper stuff but it still counts....


and don't tell me that its not possible for a guy to create a character name and kind of imitate that name of whoever they choose
Click this REFFERAL LINK for free character transfer, free inventory slot, and one week free sub time for preffered and subscribed accounts! You can read more about it HERE to prove it's legit

Wylf's Avatar


Wylf
04.19.2014 , 03:25 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
I have seen a hulk Hogan actually, true that guys character looked hideous and was pretty much wearing only the bottoms of the cartel market male stripper stuff but it still counts....
That makes him an elaborate joke character, but not a roleplayer. Do I honestly need to explain why?
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

swtonewbie's Avatar


swtonewbie
04.19.2014 , 03:58 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Wylf View Post
You can't honestly tell me that those people are 'roleplaying' as Sirfapsalot
Challenge accepted...

I mentioned in post #29 that not all nicknames are good and they arent all self given. Again using the movie Full Metal Jacket as an example, one of the guys in the movie was nicknamed "Hand Job". Below is a quote from the movie which copied and pasted from IMDB.

Quote:
Private Cowboy: Tough break for Hand Job. He was all set to get shipped out on a medical.
Private Joker: What was the matter with him?
Private Cowboy: He was jerkin' off ten times a day.
Private Eightball: No s***. At least ten times a day.
Private Cowboy: Last week he was sent down to Da Nang to see the Navy head shrinker, and the crazy f***** starts jerking off in the waiting room. Instant Section Eight. He was just waiting for his papers to clear division.
Now that doesnt mean that i approve of somebody rolling an SWTOR toon named 'sirfapsalot'. But i could easily explain it away using something similar to the above. That's what his all the other Padawan called him on Tython because he liked to **** a lot, or because of the way he handled his lightsaber i dunno. It's pretty easy to cry foul when somebody does something immersion breaking, but instead of QQing why not take it as a challenge and use it in your RP build your story around it? How would i explain away a Jedi or a Trooper named Hulk Hogan? his family name is Hogan and one time on Tython/Ord Mantell he was seen lifting a huge tree trunk that had fallen on a comrade, hence his new nickname 'Hulk Hogan'. Spiderman? he's a jedi/sith/trooper/whatever that likes to keep spiders as pets.

Of course those names are reportable anyways since one is mildly offensive and the other two are trademarked. But if you ignore the real world references and try to make up an explanation that fits within your RP session you could try to make it work. It's pretty obvious what people are trying to do when they pick names like those. But if you can take what they've done and turn it around or make it backfire now i think thats pretty funny. It doesnt matter if they intended to RP with that name or not, it's what you can do with their name to make it fit your RP.
I'm not really a noob...

Wylf's Avatar


Wylf
04.19.2014 , 04:00 PM | #38
You misunderstood my argument. I wasn't saying that the name "Sirfapsalot" couldn't be explained, I was saying that it's unlikely that the guy playing the character created it with roleplay in mind. Therefore the argument "you are anti RP because you say that Sirfapsalot is a bad name" is a silly argument.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

get_shredded's Avatar


get_shredded
04.19.2014 , 04:11 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Heal-To-Full View Post
There are no specific rules for RP servers. This isn't LotRO.

Only difference is that on non-RP servers people openly lol@RPers, while on RP servers the RPers have a retort "So why are you on a RP server?"

You can also report names like Spider-man (trademark violation), Sirfapsalot (offensive/vulgar), "Hulk Hogan" (trademark violation), on any server.
Using names such as spiderman or hulk hogan as a personal character name in a game DOES NOT amount to trademark infringement.

It might be against swtor's T&Cs though.

HeatRacer's Avatar


HeatRacer
04.19.2014 , 04:58 PM | #40
Given many of the funky names used in Star Wars, can RPers use their imagination to re-imagine the pronunciation of names they don't like: ie, I saw someone list "Davekills" as a name that would "break their immersion". So instead of thinking of it as "Dave kills", imagine their Star Wars name pronounced like "Dah-veh-keelz".