Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
There Needs to be SERIOUSLY Better Policing of the RP Servers

MickyJuulke
04.19.2014 , 06:23 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
I don't understand why these players chose a RP server in the first place.
European RP server is top of the list and automaticly selected.

saremun
04.19.2014 , 06:23 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Adaliaya View Post
Sure names are important for RPrs, and I would understand if these Lolsmashe, Hulkkills etc. would try to roleplay with you, but if they just walk on you in cantina why don't you just think "oh well" and carry on?
I joined an RP guild once, a great guild tbh but they had very important rule, "no stupid none lore names" so they wont RP or even recruit anyone with such name because they find it like trolling the RP community, sure iam all to freedom of choice but why would someone pick such name in the first place if he/she is an rper?

Adaliaya
04.19.2014 , 06:25 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JattaGin View Post
It is highly annoying. It totally destroys the immersion if you see all these stupid names. It has been quite good on The Progenitor for a long time in my opinion, but nowadays the names I have to see e. g on the fleet are ridiculous to shameful. And it's not only that. A player who names his char like that also plays the same way he names his char: stupid, ridiculous, shameful. If you get such a char in your FP or PvP group, you know upfront that you lose.

I don't understand why these players chose a RP server in the first place. They don't do RP. They don't care. They are casuals at best. I would like a RP server policy, too. At least have a short intelligence test during character creation. Threshold may be IQ 60. It might rule out 70% of the newly created chars.
I got a tank called Davekills to fp and he was a god for a tank. Name generally doesn't affect to playing skills

AndasKastor
04.19.2014 , 06:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Drudenfusz View Post
RP server is not about rules, it is a tag to indicate where yoou have a higher chance to find like-minded people with a playstyle close to yours.
^ This is why some servers are designated as RP. In my opinion BW has been upfront on what that designation means.

kirorx
04.19.2014 , 07:13 AM | #25
I understand but there is nothin that can be done.

I am sure even with strict enforcement someone will find a way to bypass the rules.

The only names that really bother me are the racist ones

The thing about naming that is funny is that it's hard to dictate what is normal, didn't Gweneth Paltrow name her kid Apple?

In lore we have Darth Maul and his brother...Savage

Heck Darth Vader is just Dutch or dark father .

Some times names break immersion in RL and in actual lore anyway
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

OddballEasyEight
04.19.2014 , 08:19 AM | #26
I play on an RP server and I don't think we need any special policing on them.
And it always amazes me how many think there are no naming rules in the game.
There are.

These are the rules in case someone (apparantly everyone) missed them:

Spoiler

Those rules apply to all servers, not just RP servers.
But the thing is that there is nobody actively policing these rules (ie. going around in-game looking for names that break the rules).
If you see a name that breaks the rules, report it.
It might take a while for anything to happen (if it happens at all, just because you don't like a name doesn't mean it violates the rules) since this isn't exactly at the top of the list when it comes to CS reports.
I have reported a number of names that violated the rules and I know for a fact that some of them have been adressed by biowares staff. (especially since I actually told one of the ones I reported and he later whispered to me that I was an ******* and they had made him change his name, which was so rude that I can't even write it here without it being censored by the forum).

So you have to be the one policing the naming policy. If you see a name that breaks the rules, feel free to report it.

Oh and for all of you who are going to respond to this saying "what do you care if someone breaks the rules, let people play the way they want", all I can say is; I would report someone pickpocketing or shoplifting as well, despite them not directly hurting me in any way.

EDIT: Oh and nowadays I just play with names turned off... That way I won't be taken right out of the games immersion when "xXxStarkillaxXx" walks infront of me.
I still report names that break the rules when I see them in chat tho.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Rafaman
04.19.2014 , 10:41 AM | #27
So... that was a wall of whine OP. And it seems to me way off the mark. I have a few toons on an RP server just to RP and everything is just fine. In fact better than fine, I'm having a blast RP. But here are a few things that make the RP experience work well.

First, I don't go around analyzing names and trying to decided if they break immersion. I don't care about the names because frankly, if it is not someone I interact with it doesn't matter. And on that rare occasion that I do interact with someone named "Toothpaste" (and it is rare as most players names are RP worthy), it doesn't matter at all because that player is not part of my story. So get over it OP. Names are non-issue on an RP server because most names are perfectly acceptable.

Second, And this is what I don't get... why do you need RP areas? Any area is an RP instance if you choose to make it one. I am in a great guild. We have RP events all over the place and there various ways to do it. There are rooms in buildings on various different planets waiting to be used. All you have to do is use them. But you have to RP. Yup... sorry you have to actually RP when you use them.

And btw, using /say and /me works just fine. I don't need a speech bubble to RP. A speech bubble breaks immersion btw. I don't usually see speech bubbles in real life. Lol.

Bottom line, it seems to me you need to police yourself. That will go a long way in improving your RP experience.

Hoshkar
04.19.2014 , 01:40 PM | #28
I have to agree with the poster of this thread. There are plenty of PvE and PvP servers to roll on, if you have 0 interest in roleplaying please do NOT make a character there!!!!
New to the game? (Get a free starter pack!!!) Just coming back to the game after 90+ days? (Get a 7 day subscription, a bundle pack and 1 character transfer!!!) Feel free to use me as a Referral! (CLICK HERE)

swtonewbie
04.19.2014 , 02:46 PM | #29
I partially agree...i think that offensive names should be policed but that goes for RP and regular servers. Some of my RP names though border on the edge of 'breaks immersion'. But i could just as easily say that those names are what my frat buddies used to call me in Jedi college or that it was my stage name or gladiator name. If you see a Lord Herp'Derp just say to yourself that maybe it was a nickname given to him by his Sith Academy instructor since that player was such an idiot. Nicknames arent just self given, they can be given by other people too and they arent always good nicknames. Watch the first sequence of Full Metal Jacket where they meet their drill instructor for the first time: Joker, Cowboy, Snowball, Gomer Pyle? In case you've been living in a cave and have never seen that movie...Joker and Cowboy arent exactly bad nicknames, but in the movie a black guy was nicknamed Snowball and a dumb guy was nicknamed Gomer Pyle. That's all i do when i see a terrible name fly by me. I dont bother wasting a second of my time to put them on ignore, i just think to myself...yah back on Hutta that guy must have been the village idiot, then i continue on with my questing.

OR

Somebody a few posts up actually brought up a really good suggestion. If seeing that name above their head is immersion breaking, why not turn off ALL nameplates. You get rid of having to see silly names just while passing people by AND maybe you also add a little bit more to your RP immersion. You want to find out who that person is? then you interact with them by clicking on them and then talking to them. If i walk around and i see somebody familiar i would be all hey isnt that Jedi John from my guild? it looks like him because he's got on that outfit, let me go talk to him **clicks Jedi John and confirms that it is him**. See you guys could give that a try...or do you guys that like to RP only limit your RP interactions to sitting in a cantina and doing emotes?
I'm not really a noob...

OddballEasyEight
04.19.2014 , 02:48 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoshkar View Post
I have to agree with the poster of this thread. There are plenty of PvE and PvP servers to roll on, if you have 0 interest in roleplaying please do NOT make a character there!!!!
I have 0 interest in roleplaying (in MMO's) but I still roll on RP servers because I find that they usually have a better quality of players than regular servers (or, I should say, better mannered players).
Telling everyone who doesn't roleplay to stay off RP servers is pretty short-sighted.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.