Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When is the next name purge?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When is the next name purge?

Andryah
04.18.2014 , 03:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.
Sorry pal, but that tells you nothing at all, except that the character has not leveled. I have 5 GTN alts of various levels that are active pretty much every day..... but none of them have leveled in more then a year.

There is really no way for players to determine if an character with a name they want IS or IS-NOT part of an active account and in fact in active use. So stop trying.

As to next name purge..... only Bioware knows.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

kirorx
04.18.2014 , 04:42 PM | #22
Exactly, the server transfer basically screwed alot of us over in the name department including myself, I'm just eager to get my old name back especially since it's not currently being used.
Still trying to get my Jedi knights name back, that name was why I bought the game...for early access and for the name I used from kotor
Watch the Clowder of Cather in this video http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j7uTcYvoEbU

RaithHarth
04.18.2014 , 05:01 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Sorry pal, but that tells you nothing at all, except that the character has not leveled. I have 5 GTN alts of various levels that are active pretty much every day..... but none of them have leveled in more then a year.

There is really no way for players to determine if an character with a name they want IS or IS-NOT part of an active account and in fact in active use. So stop trying.

As to next name purge..... only Bioware knows.
Actually it's telling me quite a bit, especially if the user holding that name isn't being used by a subscriber anymore, or he/she is off on another server, completely ignoring the name while he/she attends their business elsewhere on an entirely different server.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!

wilsonstone
04.18.2014 , 06:10 PM | #24
Actually it's telling me quite a bit, especially if the user holding that name isn't being used by a subscriber anymore, or he/she is off on another server, completely ignoring the name while he/she attends their business elsewhere on an entirely different server.
I'm curious again...you can tell if the owner of the name is a subscriber? I'm seriously just asking a question about that, no snark intended.

I will say though that if the player is off on another server that's no reason to lose the name. I have characters on another server I haven't touched for months. But that doesn't mean the names are up for grabs.

Jeweledleah
04.18.2014 , 06:50 PM | #25
food for thought.

I have alts that I don't level, they are there for the luls and or for being crew skill mules. my account is active, just those specific characters never change level.

who is to say the character whose name you want is not like that? last time we had name purge - they didn't even touch subscribers (even if the alt hasn't been touched at all, just sitting there taking up space), and as long as you have logged in on a character within a month as f2p - it didn't matter if they had been the same level for a year or more - they got to keep their name.

just saying that name purge is no guarantee that you'll get the name you want

ivanhedgehog
04.18.2014 , 08:32 PM | #26
Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.
so people have to level their alts on your schedule? wow, you really are important

ivanhedgehog
04.18.2014 , 10:02 PM | #27
it doesnt tell you if they are a subscriber. it only tells you they havent been leveling that particular character. they could be a hardcore raider on your server and you would have no idea

Adaliaya
04.18.2014 , 11:28 PM | #28
I agree, I also had one name in mind, but I never expected to get it because I started 4 months ago, so most of goods were taken.

With a little imagination I have still been able to find good names that could actually be names, at least in Star Wars universe. I was even able to grab one nice three letterish name. One of my character is named after nice NPC and other has common name + s mode

But, if bioware decided to purge my name, would they just randomly generate it or would I be able to choose new one once I log in?

Nightfalll
04.18.2014 , 11:39 PM | #29
LOOK PEOPLE, JUST BECAUSE I HAVE SEPHIROTH AND LEGOLAS DON'T BE HATING.........

So damn jealous............
"I wonder what you will say when SWTOR surpasses WoW in subs.

Something like Oh it will die in 2 years from now, when it doesnt you change your opinion and say Oh its 4 years." quote from DARTHDOLL 2/25/2012

horrorfaneightys
04.19.2014 , 01:20 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by wilsonstone View Post
I'm curious again...you can tell if the owner of the name is a subscriber? I'm seriously just asking a question about that, no snark intended.

I will say though that if the player is off on another server that's no reason to lose the name. I have characters on another server I haven't touched for months. But that doesn't mean the names are up for grabs.
This is me too. I have characters on a US server but my primary sever is EU. I haven't logged into them for months, but I'm still active. Just not on those.

In the end there’s been several names that I wanted that were already taken. I just used my imagination to come up with a variation on the name, or came up with a new one. There is no god-given right to any name, even if this name is your real name, or the name you've used on every other game you've played.
"There is no heavier burden than a great potential" ~ Linus, Peanuts
Morga-dar Level 54 Assassin Li'lu-fei Level 54 Sentinel
Xaniata-kee Level 53 Sniper Aiden-grey Level 55 Vanguard