Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When is the next name purge?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
When is the next name purge?

Elly_Dawn
04.18.2014 , 11:08 AM | #11
honestly i agree with the OP... i'm not wanting someones old name i'm wanting mine back, the one that i lost in the server transfer... for about 15 years in every MMO i've played i've used Elly for my character name, when i started this game on Sedyn Kyne server i had Elly as my name, when the servers merged, i lost it...
i just want my name back, it feels weird to not have the name i go by in every other game i play/have played... and it's seriously uncool if the name has been taken by someone that doesn't even log in anymore, preventing me from getting it back...
in my opinion they need to come up with a better naming system, like an ID number for your account or something so names can be free for multiple users like in some other games, like the ones used in PSO or STO...
if all the great fashion designers have gone over to the Darkside, then i will too...
Jedi Covenant: The Ashtear Legacy:

Elhaym - Shadow / Shinoa - Scoundrel
Dawnaria - Assassin / Adawn - Mercenary / D'jour - Operative

Hoshkar
04.18.2014 , 11:11 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Given that the characters need to be unplayed for an extended period of time on sub-level 30s on f2p accounts, I doubt any of them had much of a reputation, good or bad.

I dunno, I still remember the servers biggest A-holes from EQ1...and that was 10 years ago lol
New to the game? (Get a free starter pack!!!) Just coming back to the game after 90+ days? (Get a 7 day subscription, a bundle pack and 1 character transfer!!!) Feel free to use me as a Referral! (CLICK HERE)

PLynkes
04.18.2014 , 11:19 AM | #13
As has already been pointed out, sometimes it's not so much a case of 'why would you want somebody's old name?' but rather wanting your own old name back.

I lost the name of one of my favourite characters in a server merge an age ago. I'd quite like it back, and will probably try and nab it if it ever becomes free.

Not gonna get all bent out of shape about it like some people do, though. In fact I'm approaching the point where I'll have trouble deciding whether I prefer the 'new' name to the old one, as the new one has been my character's name for a lot longer than the old one ever was.

Kourage
04.18.2014 , 11:35 AM | #14
So you want their name. Maybe that player is coming back and won't because they lost their name. Maybe you take it and cancel in 2 months. Maybe people remember the guy whose name you want and get confused because someone else is now playing under it. Maybe he was well likes, maybe he was a ninja & jerk.

Pick something more original.
Looking for a good woman. Able to clean, cook, sew, catch bait, and clean fish. Must have boat and motor.
((Please send picture of boat and motor))

ItachiZaku
04.18.2014 , 12:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Elly_Dawn View Post
honestly i agree with the OP... i'm not wanting someones old name i'm wanting mine back, the one that i lost in the server transfer..
When you play beta, early launch, and get all of your "family" setup, binge play to get legacy unlocked and are finally "settled", step away for a couple months, come back and find all your toons transferred and only your "kick around, meh" character still has his name... it was quite soul crushing. After recently coming back (Thanksgiving), one name was available.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

NoFishing
04.18.2014 , 01:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by RaithHarth View Post
Because I checked to see if the name was still in use by adding the username to my friends list, it's been lvl 33 since last year.
And...so what? I have 11 level 55 characters, a few of which I haven't logged into for over 6 months. And my subscription will be expiring soon. Should you be allowed to take those names?

SgtJeremy
04.18.2014 , 01:21 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by NoFishing View Post
And...so what? I have 11 level 55 characters, a few of which I haven't logged into for over 6 months. And my subscription will be expiring soon. Should you be allowed to take those names?
Yes

I have lost a few names in the Server transfers back when. Still sad about it. I just use random names and hope the good ones aren't taken. I am unoriginal and generally use names from other mediums. I have a character named Radec from Killzone and Jetfire from Transformers. I have a marvel villain named character, I have Pokemon named character The rest are random generated names.
"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
"Victory at all costs, Victory inspite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, their is no peace."
http://www.swtor.com/r/pqwT9F Want free stuff, sure you do.

uaintjak
04.18.2014 , 01:48 PM | #18
Yes. You aren't using it anymore, why shouldn't someone else?

And anyway that isn't how the system works.

DarthTHC
04.18.2014 , 01:50 PM | #19
If you look at the way they did the name free-up, exactly zero of your 11 level 55's would lose their names even if you dropped your subscription.

However, if they did another server merge, an active player may get preference over yours if your account is inactive.

RaithHarth
04.18.2014 , 01:55 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Elly_Dawn View Post
honestly i agree with the OP... i'm not wanting someones old name i'm wanting mine back, the one that i lost in the server transfer... for about 15 years in every MMO i've played i've used Elly for my character name, when i started this game on Sedyn Kyne server i had Elly as my name, when the servers merged, i lost it...
i just want my name back, it feels weird to not have the name i go by in every other game i play/have played... and it's seriously uncool if the name has been taken by someone that doesn't even log in anymore, preventing me from getting it back...
in my opinion they need to come up with a better naming system, like an ID number for your account or something so names can be free for multiple users like in some other games, like the ones used in PSO or STO...
Exactly, the server transfer basically screwed alot of us over in the name department including myself, I'm just eager to get my old name back especially since it's not currently being used.
Don't start the Revolution without me

The artist formally known as Rath, now they call me Sydow!