Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Ninja looting now acceptable?


fire-breath's Avatar


fire-breath
04.18.2014 , 04:27 AM | #21
In flashpoints I don't care that much about gear since comms allow you to gain better stuff anyway.
I draw the line at Underworld tokens. When it comes to underworld token drops I really really hate those people who are needing while they have better gear on them. During pugs I have seen pretty much only people needing on stuff while they have better gear equipped.

If you think it setting masterlooter isn't such a bad thing for a DF or DP SM pugrun. These are the possibilities:
a - Opsleader is fair and gives the loot to the ones really needing it
b - Opsleader is ninja'ing the loot for himself or his friends

Without masterlooter:
c - You will roll against at least 4 ninja's on average (yes its that bad often)

The benefit of c is that you have at least a chance on outrolling the ninja's.
If option b happens than you can just call it a day, note down the opsleaders name and inform his guild about it. If their guild doesn't care just don't pug with an opsleader from that guild.
Also you will have completed the weekly anyway.

In short I think that the risk of having a crooky opsleader is smaller than having a fair opsleader.

EDIT: misleading typo :P
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Macewindy - Sab Slinger

PugsloveHP - the 60k HP commando DPS/healer

slafko's Avatar


slafko
04.18.2014 , 04:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by fire-breath View Post
I draw the line at Underworld tokens. When it comes to underworld token drops I really really hate those people who are needing while they have better gear on them. During pugs I have seen pretty much only people needing on stuff while they have better gear equipped.
They could be needing for their alts or offspec.

I do S&V runs just to get a chance at UW tokens and mainhand. And when I join them, I join with my strongest character as I don't want to be a hinderance or have to be carried if I join with a toon that's a fresh 55 and needs the gear. And since i have participated in the run and contributed to the kills at least as much as everyone else - doesn't it stand to reason that I have a legitimate roll on tokens? Even more since I'm rolling on UW armor and mainhand tokens only while passing Arkanian tokens and Arkanian-tier gear.
I see their R2 droid and I grab it. No, you can't have it back, silly rabbit!

Darkelefantos's Avatar


Darkelefantos
04.18.2014 , 05:32 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by fire-breath View Post
a - Opsleader is fair and gives the loot to the ones really needing it

If option a happens than you can just call it a day, note down the opsleaders name and inform his guild about it. If their guild doesn't care just don't pug with an opsleader from that guild.
Well, that made me laugh a bit. But no thanks, I'll not /ignore the fair Opsleaders.
This place has been an empty wasteland for a long time. No longer.

"In a world without gold, we might've been heroes!"

AlrikFassbauer's Avatar


AlrikFassbauer
04.18.2014 , 06:05 AM | #24
All these "ninja-looting" discussions changed my behaviour so far that I usually ( ! ) go out from OPs with ZERO ( ! ) loot - except with commendations, of course.

I always do "pass" whereas 99 % do "greed" for the same thing ... It has become NORMAL ( ! ) for me to get out of OPs with any loot - because I'm not greedy enough.

And now everyone will laugh obver me because I'm not selfish enough ... Well, if that makes you happy, then please just do it.

What I do not understand at all is using "need" for luxury items that are reputaion items. "I NEED this reputation", LOL ?
_________________________________________________
About balancing classes :
Quote: Originally Posted by Hockaday View Post
It's weird really...they balance around PvP...but give PvE the content.
Quote: Originally Posted by Surbatu View Post
When everybody plays one class = perfect balance. Right? Problem solved.

ItachiZaku's Avatar


ItachiZaku
04.18.2014 , 07:28 AM | #25
I really only need role for stuff my character needs, or I want the gear model. In which case, I'm either soloing the FP or farming it with my roommate.
"Be careful Preston. You're treading on my dreams. "

Kufuffelupagus's Avatar


Kufuffelupagus
04.18.2014 , 07:56 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
They could be needing for their alts or offspec.
This is tricky and people have different opinions. I can understand that one wants to "not be a hindrance" to the run, but really, nearly everyone has alts. Some have lots of them. If we all rolled for our alts then what? It's the same as we all Need on everything. What about people who may be playing on their only character and the gear is an upgrade for them? They get less of a chance because they can't run as many ops per week.

Like I said, people have different opinions about rolling for alts. Mine personally is that you should ask first or it's a Greed roll. And like others have said, asking about loot rolls before the FP/ Op starts is best. I had someone Need on orange gear for a companion in a FP recently too (they waited for everyone else to roll first) but no one cared, so there was no point making a fuss over it.

EDIT: Also, if you join with your strongest character and are wanting to roll for alts, how can anyone REALLY tell the difference between someone like you, and just some loot whore who doesn't need it for an alt? They may decide not to believe you and not let you roll since your toon has better gear.

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
04.18.2014 , 08:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
They could be needing for their alts or offspec.

I do S&V runs just to get a chance at UW tokens and mainhand. And when I join them, I join with my strongest character as I don't want to be a hinderance or have to be carried if I join with a toon that's a fresh 55 and needs the gear. And since i have participated in the run and contributed to the kills at least as much as everyone else - doesn't it stand to reason that I have a legitimate roll on tokens? Even more since I'm rolling on UW armor and mainhand tokens only while passing Arkanian tokens and Arkanian-tier gear.
Sorry but you are the type of person I don't want in my runs, and this attitude of 'I'll roll need on everything because one of my alts can use' is why I dislike the whole legacy gear mod shuffle.

This is why I also tend to only run a few Operations a week with a leader I know who uses master-looter with a Mainspec Need all other Greed ruleset (sometimes with a geared character performing one role while rolling for another, but which role they are rolling for is agreed before the run starts).

And don't even get me started on all the players that do the need on everything to over-gear their alts only to perform abysmally compared to their gear.

I can't tell you how many I've gotten in groups who can screw up even easy content like the Tactical FPs in their 72 / 78 gear sets as they have no clue how to actually play the game.

But then again this has become a game where it is much more important to have top tier gear to do easy SM content to cover up how bad the average player is at the game.

I'd love to see how many players would actually be able to achieve top tier gear if they had to beat each tier of content on the actual character (e.g. no farming SM / easy weeklies for comms to buy gear two or three tiers over the content being played, no shuffling mods to alts, and no crafting top tier stuff).

If you wanted 72 or 78 or whatever gear and I was running the game, your character would have to beat content tuned for the gear just below to obtain that gear.

LadyDarkkitten's Avatar


LadyDarkkitten
04.19.2014 , 12:48 AM | #28
Let me ask you would you rather I tanked your operation for you on a 72/78 geared toon and asked to roll on 72 aim gear/tokens or would you rather I showed up on a 66/69 geared bountyhunter with a 58 weapon and tried to tank in that?

That said I do usually say when I jon a pug something like "hey Im tanking this, but I want to roll dps gear/healer cunning gear/whatever as my main spec ok?"

I normally get people complain anyhow cos some people just insist on looking gift horses in the mouth.
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr
Here is my argument. The PvP is so good and balanced the game has to go free to play if it hopes to survive. More than 2/3rds of the player base left because PvP is too good. It's so good and balanced that no one wants to play it.

sanctified's Avatar


sanctified
04.19.2014 , 01:00 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDarkkitten View Post
Let me ask you would you rather I tanked your operation for you on a 72/78 geared toon and asked to roll on 72 aim gear/tokens or would you rather I showed up on a 66/69 geared bountyhunter with a 58 weapon and tried to tank in that?

That said I do usually say when I jon a pug something like "hey Im tanking this, but I want to roll dps gear/healer cunning gear/whatever as my main spec ok?"

I normally get people complain anyhow cos some people just insist on looking gift horses in the mouth.
Of course people would complain. Your offer is tantamount to blackmail. "Hey kids, want an experienced, well-geared tank to show you how to steamroll this content? You do? Cool! NOW GIVE ME YOUR UPGRADES."
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

fire-breath's Avatar


fire-breath
04.19.2014 , 01:26 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkelefantos View Post
Well, that made me laugh a bit. But no thanks, I'll not /ignore the fair Opsleaders.
whoops ..... My bad ... obviously I meant when the opslead is NOT fair ;-)
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Zal'ssesse - Engi Sniper Macewindy - Sab Slinger

PugsloveHP - the 60k HP commando DPS/healer