Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Random Acts of Kindness

Sempronos
04.16.2014 , 01:04 PM | #1
After reading another interesting post about people who bother you in game to PL them or give them stuff, I thought about my reply and decided we need a thread telling stories of nice things people did for you in game that you totally didn't expect.

I will start off with my favorite. While playing my sniper and trying to level, I found I was constantly dying or being forced to run away and try again. I couldn't understand why I was having such a hard time. One day a high level sniper was passing by and had been watching me once again barely escape death and as I was resting, she sent me a tell.

She asked my spec and what was my rotation. After informing her, she was quiet for a while then gave me a suggestion on a better skill tree to use, what stats to look for when getting items and a much better roation. I wasn't utilizing my strengths and was ignoring some of my tools.

I took it to heart and immediately went to the GTN and swapped out items I used to think helped. I did a respec and changed my hotbar. Eager to see the results, I went back to the same levelling grounds and to my amazement pulverized the mobs. I was so over joyed that I eagerly sent a whisper to the person, but they had logged off.

I thought it was such a nice thing to do. She didn't have to stop, she didn't have to take the time, but I am glad she did and it really put me in a happy place. Not everyone on the internet is a troll.

So what is your story?
---- There is no Spoon ----

TUXs
04.16.2014 , 01:14 PM | #2
Great story, great thread!!!

I can't name the countless people who have helped me in one form or another in-game, nor can I thank the writers of of the many guides enough for their extra effort here on the forums...I don't have a simple story I can think of that made me smile, I have hundreds of random acts of kindness I've encountered that keep me smiling.

Let me just say that the good people, imo, far outweigh the few trolls. We have a fantastic community and I do what I can to repay and show my gratitude.

To everyone who has helped someone else, THANK YOU! YOU are what keeps me playing! YOU are the type of person I want to spend my free time with! We're lucky to have you all!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Sempronos
04.16.2014 , 01:21 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
Great story, great thread!!!

I can't name the countless people who have helped me in one form or another in-game, nor can I thank the writers of of the many guides enough for their extra effort here on the forums...I don't have a simple story I can think of that made me smile, I have hundreds of random acts of kindness I've encountered that keep me smiling.

Let me just say that the good people, imo, far outweigh the few trolls. We have a fantastic community and I do what I can to repay and show my gratitude.

To everyone who has helped someone else, THANK YOU! YOU are what keeps me playing! YOU are the type of person I want to spend my free time with! We're lucky to have you all!
Great reply, I am kicking myself, I should totally have said what you did too.

OrionLives
04.16.2014 , 01:26 PM | #4
Ok here it is. I am a level 55 sentinel on the Harbinger.
I have been with SWTOR for almost 2 years now and I love it!. Now...

I hit 55 with my sent and wanted to do Ops. I got the mission for Eternity Vault. I went to the Gav Daragon and started recruiting in chat. I don't remember their names but this one Vanguard or Commando was the main guy to help me out. My character name is Maddelyn so if you read this and remember me then chat me up.

The carried me through the whole thing after laughing at my 18.5 k health bar.

By far my favorite experience in this game.
Thanks you guys! I am at now officially 23K! Thanks to you!
!
60Maddelyn - Sentinel of KOTOR!V
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

Sempronos
04.16.2014 , 02:03 PM | #5
Ya I had a similar story on my Jugg. This was over a year ago before the level increase because I took a year off but now I'm back.

Anyhow, I am 50 in mostly free gear and some purple items. I get into some group dailies with a couple of really decked out Juggs, I mean their health bar was miles ahead of mine and their mitigation was amazing.

So we run in and right away these two Juggs start pulling everything! I immediate freak out. How can people with such top level gear be such *******? Before I can jump in and start tanking, all the mobs are dead.

Huh?

They continue to run, I scoop the loot and follow and they clear the next room. This went on and on and on, basically run and scoop loot while they machine gunned the entire thing. I was so stunned and amazed.

Stunned that a Juggy could do that kind of damage while taking next to nothing in damage themselves, and amazed at how crappy my lowly level 50 Juggy felt. I was really down, but one of them took the time to explain they run hardmode and nightmare mode ops and such and have the best gear plus they know what to do.

I took their advice, and switched out items that gave me a boost to hit points and looked for items that gave mitigation and I am forever thankful to those guys for that.

The reasoning is if a mob hits you for 10K you might only take 3k damage from it with mitigation, but if you just focus on lots of hit points, you take the whole 10K, plus you work your healers harder trying to keep you alive.

It was a valuable lesson and I am glad they took the time to even talk to a noob 50 in free gear.

TUXs
04.16.2014 , 02:33 PM | #6
I love these stories! THIS is why I enjoy this game...please keep em coming
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

venomlash
04.16.2014 , 03:18 PM | #7
Get advice, pay it forward. Even from the selfish point of view, it's better to advise newbs, because then they get better at playing their spec, and then when they queue in groupfinder they're able to do a good job. And that leads to better runs overall for everyone.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

wilsonstone
04.16.2014 , 03:23 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sempronos View Post
After reading another interesting post about people who bother you in game to PL them or give them stuff, I thought about my reply and decided we need a thread telling stories of nice things people did for you in game that you totally didn't expect.

I will start off with my favorite. While playing my sniper and trying to level, I found I was constantly dying or being forced to run away and try again. I couldn't understand why I was having such a hard time. One day a high level sniper was passing by and had been watching me once again barely escape death and as I was resting, she sent me a tell.

She asked my spec and what was my rotation. After informing her, she was quiet for a while then gave me a suggestion on a better skill tree to use, what stats to look for when getting items and a much better roation. I wasn't utilizing my strengths and was ignoring some of my tools.

I took it to heart and immediately went to the GTN and swapped out items I used to think helped. I did a respec and changed my hotbar. Eager to see the results, I went back to the same levelling grounds and to my amazement pulverized the mobs. I was so over joyed that I eagerly sent a whisper to the person, but they had logged off.

I thought it was such a nice thing to do. She didn't have to stop, she didn't have to take the time, but I am glad she did and it really put me in a happy place. Not everyone on the internet is a troll.

So what is your story?
I always appreciate it when someone jumps in and helps me with a difficult fight, even if they just toss me a buff or heal. I certainly appreciate the three guys that jumped in the fight when I was getting my rump kicked by three imps. (actually that was pretty funny as I imagine the imps were like "Holy C***! Where'd they come from!?".

DomiSotto
04.16.2014 , 03:28 PM | #9
I was playing a Trooper and attacked one of those purple-glowing creatures on Coruscant. I did not remember them being tough when I played as a group. Well, it was. I was making the run for my last HPs, leaving Aric to die (honorably, I am sure), when a JK sped by, killed the darn thing with one blow and was off when all I could manage in the way of thanks was hitting my class buff! What can I say? I love the Order

Darslk
04.16.2014 , 03:39 PM | #10
I've definitely been helped in many, many ways. Back in Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palace days I had people take care to explain mechanics to me, or let me into a guild run when they could've picked a more experienced healer. I once accidentally traded someone a rangehunter's pistol before they put their 500k up (or whatever I was selling for, long time ago) and they then reopened up a trade and gave me the credits though they didn't really need to. Back in the hybrid advanced prototype days, Jonie of <hey i'm mvp> took time to explain his gear and spec for arenas to me.

A big thank you to all top players that show their specs and gear, it really helps. Thank you to everyone that puts out guides and theory crafts.
Prophecy of the Five, <Ghost Panther>