Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

what class would be the 'right' one for me...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
what class would be the 'right' one for me...

pirader
12.23.2011 , 05:54 AM | #1
hey all,

i just got the game, and i'm doubting what class would be good for me.

i come from playing wow, where i was a warrior tank for over 4 years.

hence i love tanking and want a class that can tank well but also if needed can dps and do so well.

i love going toe to toe with my enemies, being able to withstand the fierces attacks possible.
i also love utility and hate the no-brainer 3 button mashing specs.
high mobility would be a plus for me.

now i'm doubting between the juggernaut and the assassin class.

what are the pro's and con's of each? and what would suit me best?

Haasth
12.23.2011 , 06:11 AM | #2
Juggernaut is a bit more your straight up protection/arms warrior to keep going with the WoW comparisons, Assassin I often hear and I got to agree is more of an enhancement Shaman style of gameplay. I can't say this is completely true - I don't have one, but this is something I often hear from others.

At any rate, I suggest just looking into each class a bit. There's probably quite a few PvP videos or flashpoint videos out for each and they should help you narrow down how they play a lot. Then keep in mind you'll also be picking a story which you'll be spending a lot of time on, so if you don't like the Inquisitor story for example.. You're much better off picking the Warrior.

Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights play quite a bit like warriors though. Their resource mechanics are essentially the same idea whereas Assassins/Shadows have essentially a mana pool to work with.

Aisriyth
12.23.2011 , 09:09 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Haasth View Post
Juggernaut is a bit more your straight up protection/arms warrior to keep going with the WoW comparisons, Assassin I often hear and I got to agree is more of an enhancement Shaman style of gameplay. I can't say this is completely true - I don't have one, but this is something I often hear from others.

At any rate, I suggest just looking into each class a bit. There's probably quite a few PvP videos or flashpoint videos out for each and they should help you narrow down how they play a lot. Then keep in mind you'll also be picking a story which you'll be spending a lot of time on, so if you don't like the Inquisitor story for example.. You're much better off picking the Warrior.

Sith Warriors/Jedi Knights play quite a bit like warriors though. Their resource mechanics are essentially the same idea whereas Assassins/Shadows have essentially a mana pool to work with.
That isn't far from the truth. The Assassin feels very much like a shaman without totems if they could tank.

Also, I know this mattered a lot for my friends so its worth mentioning. Juggernaut is exclusively a single, single blade lightsaber. Sith Assassin is a double bladed lightsaber (Think Darth Maul).

Also, I saw you didn't mention Bounty Hunter Powertech, they are VERY capable tanks as well.

Edit: Another thing i feel is worth mentioning. Sith Assassin has a lot more flashy force powers then the Sith Juggernaut. I.E Force Lightning vs something like Force Choke for the Juggernaut.

Meanwhile the Powertech Bounty hunter has rockets and flamethrowers!

Torothin
12.23.2011 , 09:41 AM | #4
I would say BH Power Tech. Within that AV you have 3 tree's. Pyro, Adavanced protype, and Shield. The Pyro and AP are more of your melee class builds with one focusing on fire and the other retractable blades while both have a moderate tank. I'm a Pyro build and am loving it in PvP. Ask anyone here Power Tech are generally on top of the kills/dmg in PvP.

Pyro's also have good DOTs so even if you go down you are likely to take someone with you after you die...