Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So what themes and roads are not acceptable in the starwars universe?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
So what themes and roads are not acceptable in the starwars universe?

Matais
12.23.2011 , 05:48 AM | #1
Just wanted to know what types of themes people don't want in a starwars story. And also what plot threads to not bother with
"Know that much may happen here, but above all, do not forget this—you may trust in me. We cradle each other's lives, and what threatens one of us, threatens us both. And if you find you cannot trust me, trust in your training. Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done. All your decisions have brought you to this point."

MoffJordan
12.23.2011 , 10:26 AM | #2
I would advise you to avoid tech-heavy plots, save those for Star Trek RPing.

Matais
12.23.2011 , 02:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MoffJordan View Post
tech heavy? how so? seriously i am interested as to how that could be a problem
"Know that much may happen here, but above all, do not forget this—you may trust in me. We cradle each other's lives, and what threatens one of us, threatens us both. And if you find you cannot trust me, trust in your training. Trust in yourself. Never doubt what you have done. All your decisions have brought you to this point."

KahnyaGnorc
12.23.2011 , 02:41 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by MoffJordan View Post
What if your character is an engineer or the type to "Hot Rod" your vehicles (like Han with the Falcon)? What about a slicer/hacker? You could get a good Nar Shadaa(sp) plotline going that is very Cyberpunkish.

I think the main thing to avoid is out-of-setting stuff (while avoiding sparkling undead types or giant sentient flying reptiles may be obvious, it unfortunately often is not) and avoid using others' characters (including/especially BioWare's and Lucas's characters) in your plots, except maybe as cameos (a certain Jedi Master or Senator sending you on a mission), except with permission (for other players' characters).

Matais
12.23.2011 , 09:55 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
What if your character is an engineer or the type to "Hot Rod" your vehicles (like Han with the Falcon)? What about a slicer/hacker? You could get a good Nar Shadaa(sp) plotline going that is very Cyberpunkish.

I think the main thing to avoid is out-of-setting stuff (while avoiding sparkling undead types or giant sentient flying reptiles may be obvious, it unfortunately often is not) and avoid using others' characters (including/especially BioWare's and Lucas's characters) in your plots, except maybe as cameos (a certain Jedi Master or Senator sending you on a mission), except with permission (for other players' characters).
I was thinking of doing something set 10-15 thousand years after return of the Jedi (to start a clean slate so i wouldn't be needing other people's characters) The sith would be gone due to their own teachings finally catching up to them in the end. THe galaxy is broken (meaning the republic is on the verge of collapse) Riots are breaking out in the streets due to the Jedi order taking an active role in polotics and keeping order. Since the Jedi would have secured a means to wiping out the sith forever they would want to ensure that no other dark sider rises to power. So to this effect the jedi would stamp out any force user that wouldn't join the order. (this only would work because in the setting i am thinking of using the republic citizens would have mized opinions about the Jedi's intervention in a weakened republic.

Unknown to the majority of the galaxy Criminal cartels are slowlly desolving (example the Hutts and any other criminal cartel established so far) Meanwhile bounty hunter seem to be getting more work now then ever despite the impending galactic collapse. ( the main character would be a bounty hunter being caught up in the galactic events unfoldin)

As you would expect things only get worse from here

so i made this thread to see what type of themes and stuff would be inapropriate in a starwars story. I need to know if ripping out the black and white morality out of starwars for once would be acceptable

Darth_Casus
12.23.2011 , 11:07 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Matais View Post
I was thinking of doing something set 10-15 thousand years after return of the Jedi (to start a clean slate so i wouldn't be needing other people's characters) The sith would be gone due to their own teachings finally catching up to them in the end. THe galaxy is broken (meaning the republic is on the verge of collapse) Riots are breaking out in the streets due to the Jedi order taking an active role in polotics and keeping order. Since the Jedi would have secured a means to wiping out the sith forever they would want to ensure that no other dark sider rises to power. So to this effect the jedi would stamp out any force user that wouldn't join the order. (this only would work because in the setting i am thinking of using the republic citizens would have mized opinions about the Jedi's intervention in a weakened republic.

Unknown to the majority of the galaxy Criminal cartels are slowlly desolving (example the Hutts and any other criminal cartel established so far) Meanwhile bounty hunter seem to be getting more work now then ever despite the impending galactic collapse. ( the main character would be a bounty hunter being caught up in the galactic events unfoldin)

As you would expect things only get worse from here

so i made this thread to see what type of themes and stuff would be inapropriate in a starwars story. I need to know if ripping out the black and white morality out of starwars for once would be acceptable
The one thing I find common in almost all star wars books is that there is always a conflict of Light and Dark. Sure, we all love the hard gray decisions but in a place where there is no Sith and only Jedi and a breaking Republic, there isnt much to go on.

There has to be another reason as to why the Republic is breaking other than "it cant work". It apparently worked for the twenty thousand years between founding and the Great Jedi Schism, why is now different? Things dont "just fall apart" when nothing happens to cause it. Even in 130 ABY Darth Krayt was behind the terror attacks framing the Yuzaahn Vong. There is always a conflict of Light and Dark, never a Light and Gray.

Im not suggesting putting the Sith back in, but even if they arent, the Dark Side is always present. You could say that either the Jedi or the Republic is beginning to become corrupt and that could be a premise. Did a Jedi go rogue? Is there some great unforseen evil lurking in the shadows? Has the Republic been infiltrated? These things you have to think about before saying they all went down the toilet.
The Black Knights: Dark Lord
The Black Knights Website
"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal."

Matais
12.24.2011 , 01:16 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Casus View Post
The one thing I find common in almost all star wars books is that there is always a conflict of Light and Dark. Sure, we all love the hard gray decisions but in a place where there is no Sith and only Jedi and a breaking Republic, there isnt much to go on.

There has to be another reason as to why the Republic is breaking other than "it cant work". It apparently worked for the twenty thousand years between founding and the Great Jedi Schism, why is now different? Things dont "just fall apart" when nothing happens to cause it. Even in 130 ABY Darth Krayt was behind the terror attacks framing the Yuzaahn Vong. There is always a conflict of Light and Dark, never a Light and Gray.

Im not suggesting putting the Sith back in, but even if they arent, the Dark Side is always present. You could say that either the Jedi or the Republic is beginning to become corrupt and that could be a premise. Did a Jedi go rogue? Is there some great unforseen evil lurking in the shadows? Has the Republic been infiltrated? These things you have to think about before saying they all went down the toilet.
what i meant was the Galaxy wold be near broken from fighting the sith (again) Imagine a galaxy that fought the most destructive and costly conflict in the history of starwars. Now imagine recovery and the republic being near the bottom of the ocean deep in debts. Thats what i meant.

THe sith aren't the dark side. Just because they would be gone does'n't mean other dark siders can't exist.

In terms of the jedi i was kind of aiming to have had their arrgoance explode since they would have an excuse to crack down on the galaxy. THe senate would be more useless than usual.

THe sith being gone would of been a statement on how a culture that thrives on death will eventually destory itself unless refined.

I do like your constructive feedback, much appreciated.

MoffJordan
12.24.2011 , 08:56 AM | #8
I don't mean that you can't feature technology or use it, such as a slicer or engineer. But Star Wars is a human story, conflicts should be resolved by human means, not through the next doomsday weapon or Anti-Theron Particle Inhibitor device you built.