Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nightmare DF Draxus

cvak
04.17.2014 , 08:16 AM | #41
Running with 4 dps, cleared it. 2 sents, 1 gunslinger and 1 commando.

Regarding wave 5, ranged take the sides (but also taking first interrupt on back corruptors from range before they start that). Saving all CD's/adrenals for that phase. If ranged clear their sides (also a little bit depending on what 2nd tank does then), they keep one up at low hp to kill the second the next phase starts.

Personally, playing assault commando, I can get all 3 down in time unless I'm unlucky with crits, where I will basically hit it exactly at the next phase transition (at which point I dot up boss and drag my dismantler to a preassigned position for 2nd tank to take both). If I on the other hand get lucky with crits I'll be done ahead of time, during which I will leave a last add up for those few seconds and hit boss until next phase starts (which, wont be that long either way).

During out kill, melee had to keep hitting boss for a few more seconds into the next phase for him to go away. So stretching that phase out to its maximum time is very important.

Chemic_al
04.18.2014 , 03:34 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
Can't really make comments on AoE vs single target DPS in that fight with such a small sample size... my raid team has 1 x watchman sentinel, 1 x gunnery commando, 1 x dirty fighting gunslinger and 1 x sharpshooter gunslinger (me) for this fight. What was your point about dotsmash and eng dominating? We clear it fine.
The point is you are still using 4 of the highest parsing dps classes.

If you were using a vanguard instead of a sentinel and a shadow instead of a slinger still think you'd be clearing it so easy?

I doubt it.

Slingers and sents have trivialized many a fight due to Bioware's insistence on giving them top dps and the best raid utility. Nightmare mode is more about choosing the best dps class than anything else, because Bioware don't have a clue about dps classes. This has been proven time and time again, and commented on them that they knew people stacked these classes for a reason. Yet even knowing this, the refuse to do anything about it.
<Sithhiker's Guide to the Galaxy>
Jung Ma

Loki_
04.18.2014 , 05:07 AM | #43
Nobody really seems to have mentioned that the key to an easy wave 5 is pushing super hard as the boss jumps out on wave 3.

I call for healers to place dots on him etc at around the 65/64 % mark and any dps class to save its heaviest hitters at this point if they can hold off a few seconds.

This way its possible for him to jump out on 54-52% saving saving around 4-6% from the usual 58% he can come back in at on wave 5.

fire-breath
04.18.2014 , 05:16 AM | #44
Even though you can 5 DPS the fight to no disadvantage, it feels dirty. If your reasons for using 5 DPS is lack of DPS, that really doesn't bode well for Grob'thok and Brontes.
Counter question:
If a fight requires only 1 tank why would you want to handicap yourself with only 4 dps? Just like EV HM back in the old days but than for Draxus.

Doing it with 4 dps might mean your dps is good enough, running with 5 dps just makes it easier. So unless you want to artificially make a fight more difficult I don't see anything against bringing in an extra dps as long as he deals more dps than his tanktoon.

I think every serious progressionraiding tank has a few dps toons who can clear NiM in theory.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger Sãrãh - Shadow Tank
TRE PvP toon
Ishmaldo - Sage healer

AAAAzrael
04.18.2014 , 09:19 AM | #45
Even though you can 5 DPS the fight to no disadvantage, it feels dirty. If your reasons for using 5 DPS is lack of DPS, that really doesn't bode well for Grob'thok and Brontes.
We kiled Grob'thok just fine and some of DPS from my group were on top 1-5 on leaderboards for HM version so I don't see any problem there. Having boss away well before anything else spawns helps a lot there and second tank really is a weak DPS there. There is no significant role for him to play.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Joshased From Beyond / Dread Slayer Xartanol
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

AAAAzrael
04.18.2014 , 09:20 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by RikuvonDrake View Post
It's basically admitting that you don't have enough DPS for Nightmare Content, and I dislike tricking myself, I would rather go work on my rotations/speccs which is the real issue in this case.
I would rather kill bosses with whatever resources are available. As it happens my co-tank is an ALT of somebody who mains a sentinel and only tanks because our group lost a tank while ago. No reason for him to be on his tank in this fight unless specced to smash.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters

RikuvonDrake
04.20.2014 , 06:27 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
I would rather kill bosses with whatever resources are available. As it happens my co-tank is an ALT of somebody who mains a sentinel and only tanks because our group lost a tank while ago. No reason for him to be on his tank in this fight unless specced to smash.
I don't disagree, if Draxus was the last boss of the instance and there would be no more Nightmare content during the coming months I would swap out a tank for a DPS without blinking an eye. However Draxus isn't the last boss, he is not even the hardest boss in terms of DPS requirements and that why I would rather work on DPS so I can handle both Dracus AND future bosses such as Brontes (+ Dread Palace bosses). But I can understand your point and I would agree that it does apply in certain situations, I just don't think that this is one of them =)
Dread Master - Deposer of The Dread Masters - Conqueror of the Dread Fortress
Not Good Enough | Rikacha - Rikachu - Rikachi - Rebel Dream | Riku
Ruthless | Susannah - Fauna - Wildthorn - Krewel - Montör
Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

AAAAzrael
04.20.2014 , 10:05 AM | #48
The way I see it we can either smash our heads night after night against phase 5->6 transition and optimise every ability activation until we get it or we can clear the instance every week and get our gear WHILE we all improve. I have DPSed that fight as well (I main shadow tank) on my ALT and I improved something of an order of 300DPS in first 10 tries with lots to be still done - it can be done, but I don't see the point in making fights harder then they need to be.
I am fairly confident we will clear Brontes when we get to it. Currently we have 1 only one night a week devoted to last boss but we do main and ALTs and 2nd ALT's farms of 1st and 4th boss to get gear quicker to the group. I think this is sound strategy to clear the content and don't think it's cheating in any way. At very least it's something that can and will work for our guild. When we are more practised or go for timed run at some point of course we won't be switching anything or anyone.

SnickerJew
04.20.2014 , 01:40 PM | #49
It really just comes down to this. If you cannot kill this boss with 4 DPS you should either, a) work on your DPS to maximize it as best as you can or b) not be doing NiM content. Yes I understand you don't NEED 2 tanks, but in my opinion clearing a boss with a different composition then any of the other fights in the instance seems silly. My personal first clear of this boss on 8m we had 2 SS Slingers, 1 TK Sage, & 1 Infiltration Shadow. No Inspiration or Smashers. IT CAN BE DONE PEOPLE, just work on bettering yourselves.
Yoloborg & Hashtäg <Zorz>
World First Dread Master & Deposer of The Dread Masters
6x Conquerer of The Dread Fortress & 6x Deposer of The Dread Masters

JouerTue
06.25.2014 , 08:59 AM | #50
sorry for necro but i was searching for strategies for this fight.
probably you downed him at this point. just to say.. we had the same issue as you..boss at 45% and wave 6 starting. without changing nothing in our group composition or roles, we manage to squeeze the dps to up the boss at 27% before the 6th wave..
The Red Eclipse
Republic: anstacav, giranda, hobogo, vitulal, wasiq, zadoro, onovidi
Empire: astutillo, comel'am, covamo, heksebo, qarrarr, dadietr
The Harbringer- Republic: hobogo; Empire: qarrarr