Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Barrel Roll nerfs,

Ramalina
04.08.2014 , 09:39 PM | #1
ARE AWESOME!

So, yeah, killing scouts with stock proton-torps just makes me cackle with glee.

It won't last once they get used to the idea of missile breaks being *gasp* on cooldown and start to fly defensively.

Right now though, flying the Clarion and Pike feels like being the rancor let loose on the nerf herd. Heck, the nerf-herders too.

Definitely savoring the moment.

Incidentally, I did not change out of BR on my Pike, and even on a ship without distortion field available, the nerf is still awesome.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."

- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Verain
04.08.2014 , 10:02 PM | #2
I'm up in the air about it. The defensive nerf is rather shocking, but it is hilarious to missile everyone down. It really puts a huge emphasis on LOS, and I suspect that will shift the meta to short range weaponry.

SammyGStatus
04.08.2014 , 10:06 PM | #3
I was nervous when I got on, and afterwards felt that the system for my GS has changed to be verrrrryyyyyy cautious now because once a scout /strike closes on you, you're toast. Overall, it's fine Coordination is gonna have to be improved, as well as LOSing. It only changes the playstyle against those who're coming for ya with intent to destroy.
Aimbot / Renegade-One / Ashketar (IMP) - TEH's DAMAGE OVERCHARGE GSF GM
Leggogurl - Bane of Jung'Ma's Pub Pilots
Renegade-One (Harbinger) - <Irrelevant Squadron>

Ramalina
04.08.2014 , 10:26 PM | #4
Haven't really tried going after a well piloted gunship yet so I can't really comment on that yet. I do think that some of this will wear off as people get used to the change. Flying a ship that's almost immune to missiles is a bit different than flying one where they're a serious threat the majority of the time.

I can see a potential need for bumping fixes for the gunship's other defense options higher up the developers' priority queue. If things like rotational thrusters, interdiction drive, and fortress shield actually seemed viable to me, I wouldn't have any sympathy for gunships or concern for game balance effects of the nerfs.

Well, really, gunship pilots are going to have to suffer for a while before the sympathy shows up, but there is already a minor bit of concern for balance. On the up side, making the other defensive options for gunships work at an acceptable level could open up some build and playstyle options, which could be a nice thing.

It'll also be interesting to see if with barrel roll nerfed people start figuring out ways make the other options perform half-way decently. Not really optimistic on that front, but I wouldn't have expected scouts to still be able to break 80% evasion after the distortion field and evasion nerfs, so who knows?
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."

- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Nemarus
04.08.2014 , 10:50 PM | #5
I really enjoyed playing tonight. Even though my Blackbolt died more to missiles, I was also able to finish off targets I got the jump on much more quickly. I also felt like my Scout benefited more from its intended increased mobility relative to the other classes.

Yes, if I got on a Gunship, it could not run from me forever--instead it needed to fly evasively just long enough for its allies to scare me off.
Shayd/Callem - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

wvwraith
04.08.2014 , 10:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
I was nervous when I got on, and afterwards felt that the system for my GS has changed to be verrrrryyyyyy cautious now because once a scout /strike closes on you, you're toast. Overall, it's fine Coordination is gonna have to be improved, as well as LOSing. It only changes the playstyle against those who're coming for ya with intent to destroy.

As a gunship pilot, best of luck trying to get something to work. Unless you have teammates with mines that you can hang out in, welcome to missile spam. You'll get chasers that will spam you with missiles till you're dead. As HK says, "Death count, rising."
Sonya Storm Jedi Sage
Motavu -Sentinel
Momiji - Commando
Saber-wing Pilot

Altheran
04.09.2014 , 12:24 AM | #7
Personally, I have mixed feelings about the change. As a missile fan I appreciate that people hit more of my missiles.
However after playing a bit my Flash and against Stings, it has maybe become a bit too easy.

Verain
04.09.2014 , 12:30 AM | #8
Well, this change has pretty profound effects for every ship.

The need for rotational thrusters to be massively buffed- and interdiction drive, for that matter- remains the case. These components have always been poor, and even a greatly nerfed barrel roll doesn't make them worth picking.

Slivovidze
04.09.2014 , 01:02 AM | #9
I just put Power Dive on everything. Luckily last couple dsys I was trying to not abuse BR horribly so I don't feel the mobility nerf so much, but surviving indeed got harder. Can't BR to safety anymore. But I don't suffer from any increased missile spam.

But indeed I was surprised by my new Spearpoint's Thermite effectivity.

Thumbs up from me.

Verain
04.09.2014 , 02:05 AM | #10
Thermite is all the damage. All of it!

I put power dive on a couple of my ships and was surprised that I didn't instantly die. I put retro on a couple as well and mostly just get some free missile locks out of it. I definitely feel like there's more choice. Not on the gunship, of course- he's stuck with barrel roll.