Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will the new ships make GSF even more casual/noob unfriendly ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Will the new ships make GSF even more casual/noob unfriendly ?

Verain
04.08.2014 , 07:18 PM | #11
The new ships are very powerful in a group. Calling a target you are about to remote slice is simply a guaranteed kill, as it can't evade unless it has disto- in which case, you call the disto first. The other abilities are excellent because they group buff and don't all instantly fade away.

The complaint about premades being more powerful though, doesn't matter. If the premade is using support ships, it should be better than if it isn't. If the premade is really a premade- not just some people who grouped for a faster queue- then they will destroy a non-premade regardless, so this ship just allows a few more aces to run req ships and have more fun.

Meanwhile, it adds depth to the rare but epic premade versus premade.

admpellaeon
04.09.2014 , 01:29 AM | #12
I was really looking forward to 2.7 mostly because of the 2 new ships,. I really liked the more healing utility of the new ships especially when it came to the repair drones. After playing around 15 or so matches today I've concluded I have to be playing the ships wrong. Whenever I charge into the thick of a battle to use one of my abilities, it seems that after I sweep through I'm either shield-less/dead or alive with little to no engine capacity left. Whenever I do live it seems like my ships offensive capabilities are substandard. It seems like most of the missiles don't match up compared on the AoE radius needed to use the healing abilities. it's too way too early to give up on the ships, but any suggestions or comments would be helpful.

Verain
04.09.2014 , 02:03 AM | #13
Well my first question is, are you playing mostly naked ships or did you save tokens to crack? Like, are you used to throwing down with a 100k req or mastered starguard, and now you have a 10k or 40k Clarion?

Secondly, which builds are you using?

Ramalina
04.09.2014 , 05:03 AM | #14
The Clarion is pretty decent baseline, compared to other ships with similar upgrade levels.

Switch out of rapid fire lasers as soon as you can of course, but other than that the default choices are ok.

I wound up doing a lot of unlocking rather than upgrading, and the group buffs are definitely noticeable, though it takes practice (and preferably VIOP) to hit at least two friendly ships with them. Buffing two other ships is where I saw them become really noticeable, getting just yourself or only one additional person is a bit weak, but that's intended in the design.

In some ways it's a bit like running a sage healer in PvP. Not the easiest, not the most impressive, but if you're very good or just really like the playstyle it's not an unreasonable pick.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

Kuciwalker
04.09.2014 , 07:03 AM | #15
I have no idea if the Clarion is good, but Tsuki seemed to have an entertaining time with it in a lopsided TDM yesterday. When I got low I'd fly over to him and tell him to heal me.

GSF needs some equivalent of the ops pane and friendly targeting so you can find damaged allies and heal them.

Sidenti
04.09.2014 , 07:15 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by admpellaeon View Post
I was really looking forward to 2.7 mostly because of the 2 new ships,. I really liked the more healing utility of the new ships especially when it came to the repair drones. After playing around 15 or so matches today I've concluded I have to be playing the ships wrong. Whenever I charge into the thick of a battle to use one of my abilities, it seems that after I sweep through I'm either shield-less/dead or alive with little to no engine capacity left. Whenever I do live it seems like my ships offensive capabilities are substandard. It seems like most of the missiles don't match up compared on the AoE radius needed to use the healing abilities. it's too way too early to give up on the ships, but any suggestions or comments would be helpful.
Your job in a support ship isn't to charge into the thick of battle. Stay with your wing, let them do the heavy lifting while you buff and assist.

Your kill totals will likely suck. But your gunships will love you. -bp

DeputyConvict
04.09.2014 , 07:39 AM | #17
I had enough comm's to get Bloodmark to tier 2 at start of the day. By time I went to sleep I had Tier 3 with exception of weapons and systems! (will work on Imperium in a couple days, but I trust I can make it work efficiently)

Laser Cannon
Ion Missile
Tensor Field
Distortion
Snap Turn
Lightweight Armor
Damage Capacitor
Large Reactor
Dampening Sensors

my stats for day one (34 matches played)
-219 kills(6.44 per battle), Highest kill count 17 in TDM
-225 assists(6.61 per battle). Highest assist count 14
-75 deaths((KD ratio of 2.92)
-1.1 million damage dealt(32,719 per battle), highest dmg in TDM 75k
-41% hit miss %

I do not think any ship is bad, you just have to find a way to make it work for you. this ship maxed out with the right person flying ti will be just as deadly as any other ship. Anyways I hope everyone gives it a try. i will let you know how striker turns out when I get around to it.

Zharik
04.09.2014 , 05:26 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DeputyConvict View Post
Laser Cannon
Ion Missile
Tensor Field
Distortion
Snap Turn
Lightweight Armor
Damage Capacitor
Large Reactor
Dampening Sensors
I'd favor range sensors over dampening (you're hanging out with friends, right? Dampeners are for solo hunting) and anything other than the ion missile (depending on what you want the missile to do). But otherwise that is a solid build.
<Alt-a-holic's Anonymous>
President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Members (x18).

My Referral Link for some Free things (for you and me)

Morgrid
04.09.2014 , 05:33 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
I'd favor range sensors over dampening (you're hanging out with friends, right? Dampeners are for solo hunting) and anything other than the ion missile (depending on what you want the missile to do). But otherwise that is a solid build.
I'd go with communication over range, but that's just me.
Darth ImperÓus of The Ebon Hawk.

Galactic Champion of "Chase the Bomber"

DeputyConvict
04.09.2014 , 05:36 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Zharik View Post
I Q solo a lot, not so much last week or so but 85% of all matches ive ever done are solo. also I made new thread per sombodys request.