Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Still looking for the face I had before the world was made (Duel of the Fates)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Still looking for the face I had before the world was made (Duel of the Fates)

BenduKundalini
04.01.2014 , 01:12 AM | #1
Character: Kenobewan, level 55 Jedi Guardian ; Lord Scourge ; Satele Shan ; The Exile ; Revan ; Jolee Bindo ; Anakin Skywalker ; ???
Setting: Coruscant, player's apartment
Spoilers: JK Act 3 finale, companion spoilers for Doc & Scourge, and the Taral V/Maelstrom FPs

Fate is an accumulation of watersheds where certain split seconds matter more than entire centuries, their outcomes possibly shaping millenia to come.

This is more of a philosophical/atmospheric essay than a story, awash in the Old Republic's universe, where two roads meet (actually, many more than two).
A place to connect the dots - with in-depth canon stuff*
An exploration of the Force.
An exploration of how it all neatly intertwines - Revan, the events of Knights of the Old Republic I and II - with the story of the Jedi Knight in SWTOR, and... beyond...

True to Chris Avellone's** insights that the Star Wars universe is riddled with ECHOES... and where echoes are riddles...

*canon according to KOTOR/SWTOR at least
**writer/lead designer of Knights of the Old Republic II

I've paid a lot of attention to dialogues in-game and made lots of research on Wookiepedia so apart from one aspect of my character's lineage, the rest is an in-depth immersion into the backbone of the history of the Old Republic.
Here we follow a deep meditation of the Jedi Knight after he has completed chapter three, and he has a vision of impending doom that sends him flying out his his sleep into a lightsaber somersault that is the stuff of dreams - and there are MAD connections in the Force, across the oceans of time. The destiny of the Ebon Hawk contains something that connects with it all.

The title is borrowed from a U2 song called Mofo... which was used for a documentary series called... hah... Why are you creative !

Thank you.

BenduKundalini
04.03.2014 , 01:03 AM | #2
Chapter One

Spoiler

BenduKundalini
04.03.2014 , 01:06 AM | #3
Chapter Two
Spoiler

BenduKundalini
04.03.2014 , 01:16 AM | #4
Chapter Three

Spoiler

BenduKundalini
04.03.2014 , 01:30 AM | #5
Chapter Four

Spoiler

BenduKundalini
04.03.2014 , 01:39 AM | #6

EPILOGUE
Spoiler

AKHadeed
04.09.2014 , 08:47 PM | #7
Your writing is very lyrical. I will note I'm kind of curious to know more about your knight, and who he is, instead of just who he's related to.

BenduKundalini
04.12.2014 , 07:21 PM | #8
Right.

Everything in its own time...

As I pointed out in my summary, this is more of an essay into the Force before anything.
Also, it's a historian's work of connecting the dots between various sources and characters in the time of the Old Republic.

Sort of a "unifying perspective", but narrated with literary ambition, instead of as a crude wookiepedia article.

On top of it, lastly, comes creative/poetic license, with my knight being related to someone in the past and someone in the future (thus establishing that these two figures are directly related).

Who is Kenobewan? Right now, he is a meditator, and that's all that matters for the time being (but I hear you! Something is missing).
He is not One with the Force but nevertheless he communes with it and with other beings around him, even plant life.

It all came so neatly together I was struck. Even befitting for the verses I quote in the end...

Lunafox
11.07.2014 , 12:35 AM | #9
I've always been interested in the travels the mind is capable of taking, when left on it's own devices...like when you're going for a walk, or relaxing...when you don't have to think about anything except where it takes you, and sometimes that journey can be surprising.

This is the feeling I get from Kenobewan when he undertook his meditation under Coruscant's skies. It was deeply spiritual, while remaining factual about the histories you're entwining in the Jedi's connection with the force (this is helpful to someone like me, who doesn't know all of the back stories and lore). You really succeeded in showing his connection and how even one man can make a difference for generations.

I also appreciated the occasional injections of humor, like 'juggernauts hit hard, verontikus hit hard etc.' It was surprising, when most of the tone is serious. I like that.

I also thought it was clever, when you suggested what an abomination Coruscant is...because of it's lack of anything natural, like trees, lakes etc, and that the Jedi would make it home to their temple. Coruscant isn't the first planet you'd think of as a home to the Jedi, because of their connection to the natural world. Tython, makes a lot more sense.

You also have an extensive vocabulary, I learned a new word from you today in fact...ecumenopolis. It's not one I've come across before, and it was very apt in it's description of the planet-city.

The only thing I would suggest, is to break up your paragraphs into more bite size pieces, just to make it a bit easier on the eyes for the reader.

It looks like a promising saga, and I look forward to seeing where it ends up as it collides with the future. Some dialogue with Obi Wan Kenobi would be amazing. Keep on writing!

BenduKundalini
11.07.2014 , 01:07 PM | #10
Bite size pieces I like that lol! Will do, and thank you for reading and reviewing!

While I plan to write about the adventures of Kenobewan (with an e), just another one so far, Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, this was a standalone piece.

I think I already pushed the Force to its limits by establishing a mirror in time, a vision of something happening, one million sunsets later (roughly 365 x 1000 x 3-ish = 3 thousand years). And so the "million sunsets reflected" is much more than a visual thing by the way heh heh.

Maybe, just maybe, Obi Wan on the other side of time could experience something similar. But then again it would be in twilight, in the twilight zone between actuality and the stuff of dreams, "proto-reality". And I stick to the idea that even for the greatest Jedi masters, this is way beyond anything they could ever fathom. Its is too deep in the mysteries of the Force. In the roots and phantom future fruits of the "giant tree"...
So the Force has reached them, linked both sides one million sunsets away - but ever so faintly - and only in the deepest of layers of their consciousness.

Hmm... I just had an idea... so... there might be a Continuation after all!

I initially had only fancied my char to be a descendant of Jolee Bindo, one of Revan's companions in the first game Kotor. Then the prospect of getting an apartment of Coruscant happened, and I pictured it overlooking the Senate and close to the spaceport (bingo!). Though I found there were many flaws in Ep III, the scene where Anakin is tormented by nightmares really struck a chord. What a powerful, haunting scene.

And then I realized the Knight had averted something far worse than the advent of Palpatine's empire or the rise of Vader. And how he had not really had the time to let that sink in. Cosmic totalicide - (I made that one up) - the murder of EVERYTHING. Definitive negation of life.

So I pictured the torment of his soul suddenly taking it in - in a setting that would serendipitously perfectly match Anakin's torment. And in doing so, a portal in time, and in essences, was born. And I started unraveling. Did a lot of research. Mad connections available! The game does not make it clear what the links are between Lord Scourge and the Ghost of the Jedi Exile. Not at the moment though - they will probably go deeper into it with the Revan expansion.
So the Knight quest lets us know Scourge recognized the Knight after having had a vision of him 3 centuries earlier, and waiting for him to "happen" in order to prevent the cosmic totalicide by Emperor Vitiate.

But we're not told how the Exile dies, essentially, because our character was in the tubes.
In other words the first (?) Force Ghost happens because there is an unborn ghost of a Jedi out there. Staggering!!!

Picturing the ramifications of a family tree over thousands of years, a family tree at the heart of the Force, sort of a chicken-and-egg conundrum, slowly started to fascinate me and was dizzing.

Then the Duel of Fates kicked in. Fate that would have been in the tubes for at least 3000 years. By the way in Greek, AnankÚ was the embodiment of inescapable fate. With some research I found the lyrics of that quintessential song/sequence were a translation, in the ancient tongue Sanskrit, of an ancient Celtic poem. Called... the Battle of Trees. It is what I quote in the end.

I was astounded at how neatly it came together. I mean the concept, of course. Though I am very proud of certain parts I know there's ample room for improvement in the exercise of giving shape to all that and delivering a finished product.

Oh, about the ecumenopolis, it's a word I learned thanks to Wookipedia, Coruscant entry. You taught me a word of two by the way, like "dapping" (I'm French).

Thank you for your interest, and for giving me the occasion to go over the topic once more - and scrape some new ideas!