Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Have an idea for a Warzone? Share it with a Dev!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Anzel
04.14.2014 , 01:20 PM | #741
Something that I think would set SWTOR apart from other games is the idea of mixing RTS with PvP. This was done in Battle II: Combat Commander and it was an awesome experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlez...mbat_Commander

Basically one person on your team is the "Commander" and gets a top down view of the battlefield. This person has RTS controls and is able to give commands to other players such as "Attack, Heal, Defend, etc.". The players then receive the commands and waypoints. Think of how much more organized and enjoyable a PUG would be with a good Commander?

This is something that could be implemented into any of the existing 8v8 maps or even to Flashpoints and Operations and none of the other major MMOs are currently doing it. Please consider...
ANZEL - Master Bounty Hunter - Corbantis Galaxy - 06/23/2003
ANZEL - Bounty Hunter / Mercenary - The Corbantis Legacy - 12/13/2011
ANZEL - SWG EMU - CORE 1 Developer - 06/2006

t-darko
04.14.2014 , 05:35 PM | #742
Now what I really would like to see; To put our guild stronghold in PvP queue then stage 1) A GSF battle with our Guild strongholds as background, Stage 2) Winning team of the space battle get to board the losing teams Stronghold and get a multiple choice of pathway to split up and try to reach the bridge.

Reaching the bridge earns your guild a gold star, defending it successfully earns your guild a defense gold star, silver for a good try and so forth.

Then the guild wars has begun - add to that leader boards with guild reputation. What would be even greater is a skirmish function so we could choose to fight each other . . . Guild A can choose to fight Guild B - that would open up so many dimensions to the game ...

SonzeK
04.14.2014 , 08:03 PM | #743
mix some little story with a wz just like you do with ops,an example of a warzone: you're on a starship,you were hit down so you must use escape pods,you land on a republic planet and each player falls in random location,the goal is to survive in a nearby bunker for a certain amount of time untill reinforcements arrive,if they do - you win,if everyone die - you lose. and the "surviving" team can't spawn again,the attacking team can.

Another suggestion for a warzone is to make one special day in a week when the warzone finder system will gather atleast 4 groups of 8 players(no matter on what side,republic or imperial) and make a pretty known game called "king of the hill" ,they will fight eachother(no respawns) on a hill in the middle of the map and there will be a button that must be activated within 5 seconds to grant one's team the win(or the last man's standing team wins).

Saito_Hiraga
04.15.2014 , 12:27 AM | #744
:3 Are our loveley devs still checking this thread?...

I think GSF maps also count as Warzones, well here's another suggestion:

I think a map where we must destroy the other team's capital ship would be interesting. here are the details:

The map features 3 artillery satelites that must be captured to have them fire at the enemy capital ship in order to destroy it.
But what makes this more interesting is that each capital ship is assisting its team to capture and defend their satelites.

The Republic Ship is in range to attack enemy fighters surrounding Satelite A and B
As the Imperial Harrower is in range to attack enemy fighters on Satelite B and C
(The damge the capital ships cause to ships must be obviously adjusted so the turbolasers dont just blow you into space dust with a single shot)

Also in order to obtain advantage over the enemy team is to attack their capital ship's turrets in order to destroy them and have their team an easier capture over the satelites it was guarding.
Also if turrets get destroyed they can also be repaired by the "Repair Drones" droped by some bombers and the new Scouts in order to ambush those enemy fighters who think they were already owning those satelites.

When the warzone ends an animation of the other team's capital ship blowing into pieces would be sweet.

Heres also a map I made for you guys :3

http://oi58.tinypic.com/9vh2fr.jpg

I trust you'll perfectly understand it...

GSF Go!! <3

AlexModny
04.15.2014 , 07:43 AM | #745 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Anzel View Post
Something that I think would set SWTOR apart from other games is the idea of mixing RTS with PvP. This was done in Battle II: Combat Commander and it was an awesome experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlez...mbat_Commander

Basically one person on your team is the "Commander" and gets a top down view of the battlefield. This person has RTS controls and is able to give commands to other players such as "Attack, Heal, Defend, etc.". The players then receive the commands and waypoints. Think of how much more organized and enjoyable a PUG would be with a good Commander?

This is something that could be implemented into any of the existing 8v8 maps or even to Flashpoints and Operations and none of the other major MMOs are currently doing it. Please consider...
That would be amazing! I enjoy the commander aspect seen in other games and would be pretty cool to command groups/striketeams in Warzones. How would the commander be incentivized to be a "good commander"? How would players be incentivized to follow the commander's orders? Would you queue to be a commander or would it be random/top Valor once you got into the Warzone? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

Ravenpsix
04.15.2014 , 07:56 AM | #746
To what people was saying about reskin: sometime rescin is al that matters, GSF is example to that. They just changed backgroung from static stars to actual shooting scene and BAM - so much more fun to play.

Now to actual suggestions:

1. MYSTERIOUS DEVICE. Emperial reclamation service had found an ancient device, wich apparently have the power to disentegrate all life forms of chosen parametrs in the entire star system. Given time, Imperium could lern how to duplicate this device (ATC ~ 25000 years ) so Republic desides to lunch desperate attack in order to push back the Imps from the system.

Gameplay: Two team (IMP and REP) tryes to activate the ancient device to oblitarate enemy forces. To activate the devise, you need to use 2 consoles (it can be one at a time, but both of them must be on for the DEVICE to activate). The other team can reset the programmed console, and only after that reprogram it themselfs. The DEVICE itself takes time to actiavate so the other team have time to turn the tables.

Outcome: Device is activated and destroyed (REP SIDE) or secured for research (IMP SIDE)

2. NOT an actual adia, but some random thoughts.
2.1. Devide huttball to 4 teams (4 players each, near the same playfield size) . The aim is to carry ball to YOUR side to score.
2.2. I call it tag of war. To generators, each side have 1 accses zone. Power your generator to blow up enemy generator. The conductor between generators needs 50 units of power to fill. Generator itself can hold 1000 units of power, then it blows. The conductor is conducts electricity both ways, and is filled with difference betvine both generators in power units (Example IMP have 200, REP have 210 => conductor holds 10 units) . When conductor is filled more than 50 units the losing team's generator blows (example REP 200 IMP 251 => Rep generator is blown) The aim is to blow others team generator before blowing your own.
''There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power. I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness. In balance with chaos and harmony, Immortal in the Force.''

kopalame
04.15.2014 , 09:16 AM | #747
I don't have any actual ideas, but I have two wishes regarding the general mechanics.
1. No randomness in the spawn. Meaning no spawn like huttball, novare coast, hypergates or voidstar where you might rejoin the battle right away or you might wait a long time. Rather a spawn like alderaan civil war, where you always wait the same amount of time.
2. No long channels required to do objectives. Except for huttball all warzones have some channel you need to do for a long time to do objectives. Hypergates somehow doesn't feel so bad in this regard though. So something along the lines of huttball/hypergates where you rather have to run around with something and not get killed to do objectives.

Ravenpsix
04.15.2014 , 09:27 AM | #748
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
That would be amazing! I enjoy the commander aspect seen in other games and would be pretty cool to command groups/striketeams in Warzones. How would the commander be incentivized to be a "good commander"? How would players be incentivized to follow the commander's orders? Would you queue to be a commander or would it be random/top Valor once you got into the Warzone? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each?
How about players vote on start? If commander is bad, you yourself are at fault, because majority choose him. You can even make 1 vote = character LVL or Valor, or even Legacy LVL
''There is no ignorance; there is knowledge. There is no fear; there is power. I am the heart of the Force. I am the revealing fire of light. I am the mystery of darkness. In balance with chaos and harmony, Immortal in the Force.''

Centrixo
04.15.2014 , 09:50 AM | #749
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Hello Warzone Aficionados!

We are starting our pre-production (ideation stage, if you are into buzzwords) for the next Warzone and we want to get your ideas for a new Warzone!

We have a few ideas (even got a few prototypes on the backburner) on what we would like to do and what we *think* you would like but we want to hear your ideas before we move forward with a design!

Remember when you post, the more information the better. Layout pictures and descriptions always help, some of us are visual learners =P Think about and post your thoughts on how will the scoring work? What is the goal for each player? Will some players have different goals? How can players make a come-from-behind victory? Is this fun? The more questions you ask yourself about a design that you can answer and feel good about, the better the design.

Please make sure you understand that this is not a vote. Even if there is a consensus on a specific idea that everyone wants that is no guarantee that we will develop it. Also there is no guarantee that we will develop an idea that is suggested. We want to gather ideas on what you want from the next warzone so we can make something ya'll want!

Also please note that this Warzone will not be released Live during the current Road Map.

Looking forward to reading what yall have in mind!

Cheers!
there are a few other PvP type matches that could make their way into this game the trouble is that the PvP system would need to be completely expanded on with more controls for the players, so they can choose what they want, for example avoiding huttball and 4v4 matches by deselecting like like it is with the flashpoints.

there are several PvP types

Deathmatch (simple FFA bloodbath with the highest frag scorer winning the round)
Team Deathmatch (which TOR is following)
Capture The Flag (huttball is like it but not, CTF usually involves taking the flag from an enemy base and taking it back to your own. and it can be captured by as many players as there are on a team if thats what the team wants).
King of the Hill (defend the middle with your team as long as possible).
Objective Based (TOR has this also) but it could be expanded on a bit with a few more maps.
Last man Standing (FFA with no respawns and the last man standing winning the round)

in my opinion however, some of these modes wont really work because of this cloak system for the SI/consular and Agent/smuggler, it would unbalance a good bloodbath in the arena.

Mdgshorty
04.15.2014 , 07:49 PM | #750
I honestly would love to see both huttball maps to be also used for 4V4 Arenas. I also like to see another type of arena type game. Currently once you are down, you canít come back that round. Iíd like to see a type where itís based off kills but within a certain time limit. Basically you gain points every time you kill someone on the other team. I am looking at these would be 8-16 players per team. We can use many of the current PVP maps we have now for this.

I also would love to see other variants of the current pvp maps we have.