Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Comparing RP on this server to NA RP servers. Confused.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Progenitor
Comparing RP on this server to NA RP servers. Confused.

Darth_Exar
03.30.2014 , 05:48 PM | #1
To start off this is not a complaint, i'm merely perplexed at why there is such a difference.So recently I've been playing on my NA server characters (The Ebon Hawk) that I made when the population blip happened and everyone fled to one single server. And Im really confused at the massive gap there seems to be with RP on this server and RP on the NA servers.
For example on the NA servers:

The Fleet - There are usually quite a few guilds and even random people RPing on the fleet 24/7, in a matter of all varieties. Usually at the bars and in the sitting areas. Now I have never, ever seen anyone from this server even attempting to RP on the Fleet. Its almost like we are embarrassed to do so.

RP is everywhere - I mean literally everywhere, places like Voss and even Balmorra I have seen quite a few folks doing stuff like military ops. Again I have never seen RP out "in the wild" while doing quests on characters unless I venture into a cantina.

Starter Planets - These places are crammed with RP, on here we do have a few guilds RPing I agree but the numbers don't compare.

Friendly faces - I seem to be able to walk up to most people in RP and join in without any issues. I cannot count how many times I've got rather unsavory comments when I try to RP with others here.

Not just guilds - As stated before a lot of random people RP together, from different guilds or folks without guilds. There seems to be a requirement to be a guild member to RP on the Progenitor.

Guild advertising - There are tones and tones of RP ads in general chat on the fleet and the first couple of planets.

So why is there such a massive gap between people RPing here and over there. Why does it seem so rare and desolate to find RP on this server unless i'm in some bar with people who don't really want to involve me. Why is it when I try to apply to a guild its like trying to apply for a job. I understand that there are quite large gaps in population between servers but it shouldn't discourage people! RP is why I remain in Swtor, and it saddens me that people seem so stiff about it on this server.
"So this is how Liberty dies....With thunderous applause."

The Proginator

Mallaliak
03.31.2014 , 03:52 AM | #2
Being a roleplayer on Progenitor since launch, I still find the server filled with people and groups, and more RP than I'll find myself able to pay attention to. People are spread out here, and that's it.

Still look at it like this, there's a english, german and french RP server in Europe. Population numbers differs, languages differs, cultural mindsets differs, and in all honesty, many people are LAZY. Rather than stick and start up RP, operations or pvp teams themselves, people are prone to change to another server where someone else will do it for them.

Different communities would be the short answer. Diversity is good for those that wants it
I don't approve of Fandalorians and Plotkiller.

t-darko
04.20.2014 , 01:38 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallaliak View Post
Being a roleplayer on Progenitor since launch, I still find the server filled with people and groups, and more RP than I'll find myself able to pay attention to. People are spread out here, and that's it.

Still look at it like this, there's a english, german and french RP server in Europe. Population numbers differs, languages differs, cultural mindsets differs, and in all honesty, many people are LAZY. Rather than stick and start up RP, operations or pvp teams themselves, people are prone to change to another server where someone else will do it for them.

Different communities would be the short answer. Diversity is good for those that wants it
Sorry to see the OP brushed off in an all to familiar way, and that the problem of almost non existing open and random RP on the Prog not is taken seriously by a major Guild like the Lost Praxeum. It is safe to say that when it comes to RP on the Repside on the Prog, the Lost Praxeum and the Conclave guilds leads the paradigm of RP and atm it seems that their policy is isolation.

The RP you speak of is undeniable always 'in-guild' or 'cross guild'. The ever presence of the Conclave guild as soon as there is a criticism against the lack of open and random RP and the fast way to in which the debate almost always is silenced in a post claiming the opposite, is troubling. This steady act on disclaiming every try to get a discussion going often function as a seal of approval of do and don't is the world of RP on the Prog and on who makes it or break it. I don't think this is a mischievous act, but more a failure of insight and ability to see the RP out of any perspective then their own and with that comes a severe element of 'group think'. Now I recognize that the Conclave Guilds didn't ask to be the paradigm leaders or even the ones that leave a seal of approval, but how ever, the sum of the Conlcave's acts and in this regard answers on trouble thought presented concerning the RP has had severe consequences for the RP on the server as that the Prog nowadays is in the hands of the PvE and PvP crowd.

Now I realize that this isn't an evil scheme on the part of the conclave guilds, I would call it a naive lack of insight on how the the community reacts on what has become the sum of all actions from those guilds that undeniably are the most organised, the most skill full and in the end the ones who end up with the silent consensus of who is running things.

And we have all been great full for the Jedish atmosphere you guys have created with your Tython lectures. But it's time that you guys starts, as the rest of us has done, to ask your self; Why on an RP server in a Star Wars game is there no official hubs for random Jedi RP? Why isn't there reoccurring events that promote and support random and open Jedi RP? Why start with the demand of chat bubbles, when there is freakishly amount of Aanakinh Shywalkers and Xxslayer69xX running lose on an RP server???? Why not start with the basics!?

There is something very wrong with the RP on the Progenitor!

Tatile
04.20.2014 , 01:27 PM | #4
I have to agree with the OP. There's no RP on this server that I can really see. The only place I know of that has occasional RP is the Nar Shadda cantina, and that's always between people who know each other well, talking about their current guild or party storylines, and which isn't accessible or available to anyone else.

I don't have any RP experience, so I wouldn't be welcome in an RP guild, and I like to do end-game PvE, but all RP-mix guilds are RP-PvP, so I can't even "come for DF/DP, get some RP free" anywhere. Likewise, because I have no RP experience, I can't slid my way into the cantina stuff.

Now, I understand that drop-in RP isn't exactly the height of skill, and that you often open yourself up to massive trolling by RP'ing outside of instances, but don't say that the server is filled to the brim with RP'ers RP'ing when you have to find them in hedgerows.

Wylf
04.20.2014 , 05:07 PM | #5
Huh. I have to say that I see RP quite often. Not necessarily RP that I would qualify as *good* per se, but I tend to stumble over it on a regular basis. Be it on Korriban, in Kaas City, inside the Jedi Temple on Tython... hell, I even managed to accidentally disturb a bunch of Roleplayers on Alderaan, while questing through an imperial listening Post thingie there. Not saying that it's everywhere, but trust me, in the eight years I'm roleplaying in MMOs now I encountered Servers where the situation was far, faaaar worse.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I don't have any RP experience, so I wouldn't be welcome in an RP guild,
[...]
Likewise, because I have no RP experience, I can't slid my way into the cantina stuff.
Many of the RP guilds I saw recruiting aren't really asking for lots of experience. Combined with your comment about being unable to take part in the cantina RP because you're inexperienced I'm thinking that your problem might be that you're placing yourself under a lot of pressure. Let me put it like this - you won't get RP experience by not roleplaying, because you're afraid of your own inexperience.
Cantina RP isn't exactly the highest form of Roleplay anyway, so you don't need all that much experience to participate. Think about a background for your character (I'd advise not using a too complicated one, for starters), give him or her a personality (what does he like? What does he dislike? Does he have personal quirks?) and just start a conversation.

Lastly, if you have questions regarding roleplay, feel free to drop me a PM here (since that's far more likely to reach me than whispering one of my characters, considering that I'm not really having a 'main' right now). I wouldn't say I'm the greatest roleplayer, but with eight years of experience I'd say I'm confident enough in my abilities to dish out some advice.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor

Urien
04.22.2014 , 07:23 AM | #6
"Never, ever seen anybody even attempting to RP on the Fleet"? You should take the Interfleet Transport over from Carrick Station to Gav Daragon; First Expeditionary Fleet is usually roleplaying there pretty much every evening, and always happy to have random new people to interact with. Usually it will be in Instance 2, however, for the same reason that most people don't want to RP on Carrick Station itself: the amount of OOC crowds that will start trying to grief and interrupt our RP when they come across it is at best shocking, at worst horrifying. For an RP server, there are a LOT of players on this server who will literally drop everything else they are doing if they come across a bunch of RPers to grief, and they will dedicate hours in some cases to keep finding ways of doing it. As a result, those of us who do RP often feel pressurised into quieter and more isolated game areas to avoid the unwanted attention. Sad, but there you go.

However, I think any respectable RP guild worth its salt (of which there are many on Progenitor) will still make an effort to be open and welcoming towards people who come across their RP, respect it, and want to join in -- regardless of how much experience they may or may not have at RP. The couple of notorious people who jump in every thread here and on SWTOR-RP.com to fling paranoid insults at these guilds about being engaged in some ludicrous conspiracy to deny RP to everybody else are simply bitter ex-members who can't handle the fact they were kicked out of these guilds because they had horrible attitudes as players Out-of-Character, and created endless drama and arguments with everybody else all the time. And they're still trying. It's fairly pathetic, especially when they claim to have left the game altogether but still keep going (you know who you are -- yes you).
Republic Navy Starfighter Corps
- Lt. Zarius KESSLER
Red Squadron Leader, RSS Gav Daragon
First Expeditionary Fleet

katsukii
04.22.2014 , 02:11 PM | #7
I would simply like to ask those who are criticising the Lost Praxeum to look at this screenshot:

Random stuff happening.

While it might be taking place at a rather out of the way location, I see here a group of people consisting of the Lost Praxeum, the First Expeditionary Fleet and two random, guildless roleplayers who are engaging in an interesting debate on the nature of Free Will and the Force. It's unplanned, welcoming to everyone and openminded.

All I wanted to say.

EDIT: I took this screenie when I read this thread. So it's not even as if I had to DRAG something up from the ***-end of nowhere.

Tatile
04.22.2014 , 02:43 PM | #8
Sorry, I wasn't criticising Lost Praxeum, I wasn't even aware that you guys had so much RP going on as a guild. You don't have an Imperial equivalent though, do you? I tried the Progenitor fan-site, but it seems kind of sparsely updated and cliquey.

katsukii
04.22.2014 , 02:56 PM | #9
Not you ^_^ Someone after you. I myself am not in the Praxeum, actually. I've just had the pleasure of roleplaying with them for a while.

If you want some guidelines, have a look at these posts:
Progenitor 101 Helpful Information Links for all Players.

And to find RP:
Welcome to new players!
Guild Status.

Hope these can help you along!
I'm also pretty sure that there are tons of guilds who would lovingly welcome those new to RP!

Wylf
04.23.2014 , 04:21 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Sorry, I wasn't criticising Lost Praxeum, I wasn't even aware that you guys had so much RP going on as a guild. You don't have an Imperial equivalent though, do you? I tried the Progenitor fan-site, but it seems kind of sparsely updated and cliquey.
Mh, from my experience RP is much more dense on empire side, than it is on Republic side (pay no attention to my signature, I have an equal amount of imps and reps in my character list). It's also quite often a tad more silly and centered around strong, independent Sith, who don't need no man, but... eh.

An obvious spot to find RP would be Korriban, there's almost always at least one of the Sith I mentioned earlier hanging around. If you are looking for RP of the less... 'silly' variety I'd suggest keeping your eyes open in General chat. There are RP Guilds recruiting quite frequently and occasionally you even find one that sounds like talking to them might be worth your time.
Other RP Spots I noticed so far would be the Cantina on Kaas City and the one on the Nar Shaddaa promenade. And lastly, my offer still stands, if you have questions or need helping with roleplay, drop me a message.
'Twas right, said they, such birds to slay
that bring the fog and mist

The Mitharr Legacy - Way too many characters to name here.
EU - The Progenitor