Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it OK to do 'Tactical' FPs as Tank / Heals ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Is it OK to do 'Tactical' FPs as Tank / Heals ?

psandak
04.02.2014 , 10:03 AM | #21
One other thing I have noticed when doing Tacticals as a tank is a lack of patience: you are waiting 2 seconds for a CD to wear off and a DPS jumps in. But I have adapted: I never "go nuclear" when I pull. As an example, on my guardian I will either throw or leap but never both (except on bosses) that way I always have one available for the next trash pack.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101
"You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give it to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something else" Steve Jobs

DawnAskham
04.02.2014 , 11:45 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
One other thing I have noticed when doing Tacticals as a tank is a lack of patience: you are waiting 2 seconds for a CD to wear off and a DPS jumps in. But I have adapted: I never "go nuclear" when I pull. As an example, on my guardian I will either throw or leap but never both (except on bosses) that way I always have one available for the next trash pack.
KDY is an exercise in patience, and most people I end up with in Czerka 55 tactical fps could solo them, so I tend not to worry about having CDs ready for anything as they generally aren't needed.

I do find a well coordinated group with a tank and healer can zerg tactical fps down fast, especially if they take advantage of things like LOS (tank pulls the room, LOS in corridor, AOE it all down).

On mine that can tank, I usually queue as both roles, and generally for KDY just stay in whatever spec I was when I zoned and simply swap offhand / stance as needed.

I do agree that if you see things like multiple healers and / or tanks when the queue pops, you might want to click decline, especially if queue times are minimal.

mikebevo
04.03.2014 , 12:06 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
Healer and tank stacked groups (3+) are beyond slow but you can see the roles before you click accept so just let those be and let RNG reshuffle the queuers for your own sanities sake. Queue time isn't very long for tacticals.
Not doing it right, 4 healers is fastest run I have ever been on. All four went in different dirrections and then meet back at the end, super easy and fast with no death. Of course a healer in 72 can just solo these without deaths, so that isn't saying anything.

These are so easy, I don't care what the group is.

Sorry was thinking about it at 55, yeah at lower levels, best group is 3 dps and a heals or even better 4 dps with one of the dps having offheals and knowing how to use them (especially a sage or socerer). Still don't really care, will do it with anyone one and any class, it is just that easy.

RiVaN_
04.04.2014 , 07:24 AM | #24
A Good Tank and a Good healer make the Tac FP's go smoother and sometimes faster. Bad tanks and/or healers will make the FP... painful. When I role on a tank I keep the raid frame in view and I don't worry about people pulling Agro off of me. I jump in, do some damage and AoE taunt or taunt the biggest baddie in the group. As a healer I often just use my field respec to go DPS and then toss off heals as needed, until the end boss, then I spec back to heals and toss off DPS.

Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post

I do agree that if you see things like multiple healers and / or tanks when the queue pops, you might want to click decline, especially if queue times are minimal.
Sorry to disagree with you on this point, but I never decline a pop, the added challenge of a diverse group actually makes it a bit more fun for me. If I wanted to run something where the Mob's just die I would solo SM Athiss on my lvl 55's all day long. This is my personal opinion and how I like to play the game. Perhaps you like to only run in "ideal" groups, but I prefer to adapt and over-come. Of course I have been in the Army for 19 years, so that's just part of who I am.
Ra'mel, Merc - The Gentelman Bastards
Nikolete, Scoundrel - Republic Flashfire
C'aboose, Commando - Souls of Fate
Jedi Covenant

MadHobbit
04.05.2014 , 10:24 AM | #25
once ran as a tank with 3 other healers, they kept me healthly and we had no problem with last boss,think it was the sith warrior who chokes a lot

GraceandDanger
04.19.2014 , 08:57 PM | #26
Healers are always welcome imo because it keeps people from stopping to heal, thereby making the run faster. Tanks can be useful as well but their effectiveness diminishes if they dont have a healer. 1 healer + 3 dps is probably the fastest set-up but I still like the rare trinity group (tank, healer, 2 dps) because the flashpoint seems to be a lot less stressful, assuming everyone is doing their job right.

There are exceptions though. I ran Kuat the other night with 2 tanks and 2 dps and I initially cringed because those groups usually go a little slow but with 2 snipers (me and other guy) and 2 assassin tanks, we ripped through it like it was nothing.

In the end, it all depends on the group set-up and how good/not bad each person is.
It's victory or nothing!

MCaliban
04.20.2014 , 04:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by XAtrophi View Post
Would like to note, tanking while LEVELING in tactical flashpoints isnt the greatest idea. Bolster doesnt affect defensive stats very much so you'll be taking very similar amounts of damage as you would dps, atleast thats what ive found as my guardian who is leveling with the best gear and augments(Perks of having cybertech,artifice and biochem with purple schematics )
Maybe as i get closer to 50 it'll be better but sitting at 35 its just not worth it im more of a hindrance then a help.
I have a tanky jugg in unaugmented blues and both my HP and defensive stats went up when I was in Kuat.

Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I see this in PUGs for non-tacticals. It doesn't really bother me one way or another.
Better to be the tail of a dragon than the head of a lizard.

fire-breath
04.20.2014 , 05:24 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by GraceandDanger View Post
Healers are always welcome imo because it keeps people from stopping to heal, thereby making the run faster. Tanks can be useful as well but their effectiveness diminishes if they dont have a healer. 1 healer + 3 dps is probably the fastest set-up but I still like the rare trinity group (tank, healer, 2 dps) because the flashpoint seems to be a lot less stressful, assuming everyone is doing their job right.

There are exceptions though. I ran Kuat the other night with 2 tanks and 2 dps and I initially cringed because those groups usually go a little slow but with 2 snipers (me and other guy) and 2 assassin tanks, we ripped through it like it was nothing.

In the end, it all depends on the group set-up and how good/not bad each person is.
Jip. Best example might be the hangar trashmodule where you finish off with the 2 knockback eager elites and 1 wossy silver. In the phase downstairs not many people know that the very first trashmob pull lands perfectly stacked up after which they spread out. Same thing after you killed the 2nd sideroom.

If you are good you rush forward and click later. If not .... well, than you can't AoE them anymore and it will take slightly longer.
Progression raiding toons on the big RED
Macewindy - Sab Slinger since patch 1.2 through ups and downs

PugsloveHP - the 96k HP commando DPS/healer

sanctified
04.20.2014 , 01:50 PM | #29
A well geared/experienced tank can speed things along nicely in a TFP. DPS can kill things a lot faster if they don't have to worry about keeping up their health.

DPS complaining about speed in in a TFP have a tendency to race ahead of the group, over pull, die, then whine. I don't trust anyone who feels like a 20 minute run on Tython or Korriban is too long.
Playing since October 1st, 2011. Squad 238 for life.

wadecounty
04.20.2014 , 02:03 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
A well geared/experienced tank can speed things along nicely in a TFP. DPS can kill things a lot faster if they don't have to worry about keeping up their health.

DPS complaining about speed in in a TFP have a tendency to race ahead of the group, over pull, die, then whine. I don't trust anyone who feels like a 20 minute run on Tython or Korriban is too long.
This.

I think one thing I really hate about tacticals is people assuming that because the trinity isn't enforced, it no longer needs to be respected either, leading to things like healers who refuse to heal (even when spec'd as heals), everyone scattering and pulling random groups, and refusing to let the tank, tank. Which altogether ends up making tacticals at times more stressful than a regular flashpoint.

Fortunately if I have a rude/overeager group in a tactical and I'm tank spec'd I can just respec, no biggy. If its a regular flashpoint and I have one of those annoying groups where people constantly run ahead of me I'll just drop group, its not worth it.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger