Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it OK to do 'Tactical' FPs as Tank / Heals ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Is it OK to do 'Tactical' FPs as Tank / Heals ?

SW_display_name
03.30.2014 , 04:29 AM | #1
Hi guys, I've been away from the game for a long time and since then BioWare is apparently replacing 'Story Mode' with this new 'Tactical' thing that's like WoW Scenarios or GW2 dungeons, where you have no roles?

I always, always, always queue as Tank or Heals on my characters because those are what I like doing. But in WoW , showing up as Healer in a Scenario makes everyone really unhappy because no one needs healing so you just slow the whole run down.

And Tank can be a problem too, because if you take aggro on everything you can end up messing up the damage-intake that's balanced around people kiting or splitting up mobs between the 3 DPS specs the devs assume you're running with.

And in GW2 at this point , mostly, everyone just gets mad at you if you're not spec'd for max DPS and show up for a PvE run. "Support spec? NTY go away"

I'm just curious if SWTOR's 'role neutral' FPs are the same way. I want to try them out, but should I not use my Tank / Heal specs when I queue for them?

CaptainApop
03.30.2014 , 05:25 AM | #2
No healer in tacticals generally means an overabundance of people needing to OOC channel heal and stupid people pulling when the entire group is at 20% hp except them. Having a healer is fine. One healer speeds things up nicely I think.

Tanks generally slows things down a little but anyone legitimately whining about it should be fired out of an airlock. Plenty of bits where a tank makes things simpler.

Healer and tank stacked groups (3+) are beyond slow but you can see the roles before you click accept so just let those be and let RNG reshuffle the queuers for your own sanities sake. Queue time isn't very long for tacticals.

Honestly though, kuat is stupid easy and so are the czerkas and nobody sensible really cares who's doing what where or why. Get field respec if you really want to cover your bases.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Smuglebunny
03.30.2014 , 08:24 AM | #3
Having a healer just makes it faster. Having a tank lets everyone know who pulls first and the squishy take less damage so again it makes it faster.

So yeah. its totally ok to que as tank or heals in tactical. Just if there is more than one healer there might not be enough dps and things could slow down. But up to 1 healer and/or one tank will only speed things up.

Evolixe
03.30.2014 , 09:05 AM | #4
Tank slows stuff down, 1 healer speeds it up.

Any variation to "healer, triple dps" is inferior.
Evolixe [ToFN/PoT5] Exilove
PvE AMR - Livestream - PvP AMR - BiS PvP Mad/Bal - BiS PvP Dec/Infi
Quote:
Open yourself to suggestions from others.
There is so much to be learned from other people no matter how good you are.

ShadowMudkip
03.30.2014 , 10:32 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Tank slows stuff down, 1 healer speeds it up.

Any variation to "healer, triple dps" is inferior.
While this is true, if you happen to have a AoE spec heavy team (lightning, engineering, focus) the tank wont slow down the team much at all. In fact it would hardly be noticeable.
JediCovenant
The Veir Legacy
Mairick-Assassin Mylius-Sorcerer
Kaidin-Mercenary

Sorei
03.30.2014 , 11:43 AM | #6
I've yet to be in a KDY group where anybody critizises tanks or healers for being there, at least openly.
I don't mind having a tank in the group and a healer or a DPS who can offheal. (In fact, I just had a KDY run with a tank and I was DPS, but healed when necessary. It was quite a smooth run and didn't feel too long).
Having more than one tank or healer in the group can feel quite slow, but it's not that bad.
If people want maximum efficiency in running KDY they shouldn't pug for the flash point. Queue as the role you want to and feel most comfortable with. Every role is allowed in there.

SW_display_name
03.30.2014 , 03:04 PM | #7
TY guys.

It sounds like SWTOR Tacticals are balanced a lot better than 'role-neutral' content in other MMOs I play, so that's encouraging. I'll try them out when I get a chance to play tonight.

It sounds like I'll just stick to my normal specs and Field Respec (ah Field Respec, one of my favorite things about SWTOR ) to DPS if the group already has a Tank / Heals.

LuaRumina
03.30.2014 , 04:34 PM | #8
Yeah, tanks are great for grouping things up and honestly, on an actual mitigation geared and spec'ed tank, they often take so little damage it can speed up the downtime between pulls, at least around level 40 when you can get tank gear.

I have been in groups with 3 tanks where we whittled it down to just one. I always have field respec for my characters and if you ask, a bunch of people GF deems tanks have queued for both roles and were only going to respec if they got a traditional FP pop.

But in KDY I have also seen: people designated DPS (which means they specifically clicked off the tank option) who are in tank stance, people yell at others marked heals when the person healing is dpsing and in a dps spec, and most egregiously, people saying "hold on a sec" at the start so they can go respec to whatever KDY assigns them as, even if the group already has one healer or one tank.
Rumina Legacy || Ebon Hawk // The Harbinger

Hei_Atzfel
03.30.2014 , 06:16 PM | #9
I'm not a fan of the lack of having a trinity in flashpoints, so I prefer a tank/heal/2DPS setup, even though having a tank does slow things down, I just prefer it.
Warlord Saeari Atzfel - Deception Assassin
Quote: Originally Posted by Ugolino View Post
Healing was long overdue for a clubbing like a baby seal.
^ General forum's response to Operative healer nerf ^

XAtrophi
03.30.2014 , 06:25 PM | #10
Would like to note, tanking while LEVELING in tactical flashpoints isnt the greatest idea. Bolster doesnt affect defensive stats very much so you'll be taking very similar amounts of damage as you would dps, atleast thats what ive found as my guardian who is leveling with the best gear and augments(Perks of having cybertech,artifice and biochem with purple schematics )
Maybe as i get closer to 50 it'll be better but sitting at 35 its just not worth it im more of a hindrance then a help.
~The Killsu Legacy~
"You can turn off the sun, but I'm still gonna shine."
Balien Komui