Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Armortech] inverse engineering

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Armortech] inverse engineering

dsxdsx
03.27.2014 , 04:11 PM | #1
Hi
I am new here, just got in to crafting. I picked up cybertech to do my own mods and armoring. I wanted to craft blue items instead of green so I have done reverse engineering on green mod level 5 and but got blue schematic level 2. It doesn't make any sense to me as I will never be able to craft same items as commendation vendor. Is it how it meant to work?
Many thanks

KorinHyvek
03.27.2014 , 04:18 PM | #2
You should get the same level of mod you re'd, at least with mods you create and mods found in end-game gear. If you RE a random mod that isn't learn able via the trainer, well, I'm surprised you COULD learn that recipe.
The Ferrin Legacy, Ebon Hawk
Major Volner Ferrin // Darth Hessar

psandak
03.27.2014 , 04:24 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by dsxdsx View Post
Hi
I am new here, just got in to crafting. I picked up cybertech to do my own mods and armoring. I wanted to craft blue items instead of green so I have done reverse engineering on green mod level 5 and but got blue schematic level 2. It doesn't make any sense to me as I will never be able to craft same items as commendation vendor. Is it how it meant to work?
Many thanks
Um, there are no level 5 mods that can be crafted by cybertech. Mods are all even numbers.
If you are talking about armoring:

That's wierd. That should not happen.

dsxdsx
03.27.2014 , 05:02 PM | #4
Yes! it makes crafting pointless......
I created green resolve armoring 5 (required lvl 15) and RE just to get blue resolve armoring 2 ( required lvl7 ) with worse stats.
I switch from f2p to subscription to get full access to crafting.....
Did anyone else come across this issue?

psandak
03.27.2014 , 08:11 PM | #5
Never seen it before sorry.

If you have screenshots (which I doubt) you could probably submit a ticket, but the most likely answer is that there is nothing that can be done.

Question: can you still RE the green item to get the correct blue or does it say no research available?

dsxdsx
03.28.2014 , 02:25 AM | #6
I didn't take screnshot....It also says there's only 20℅ chance to get blue schematics so there is no guarantee you will get it each time you apply RE, it makes it even more difficult. I have unlearned all skills , will start over againg today and post screenshot.

dsxdsx
04.05.2014 , 03:58 AM | #7
Ok I know what is an issue now, you have to start RE with lvl 1 items can not go right away to higher level, I think its a bug or that's how it was design to dont progress to quick?

psandak
04.05.2014 , 08:25 AM | #8
Ok I know what is an issue now, you have to start RE with lvl 1 items can not go right away to higher level, I think its a bug or that's how it was design to dont progress to quick?
HUH? I think more detail is required here. Let me see if I got this right:
  1. you picked up a crafting crew skill
  2. you started crafting
  3. you did not RE stuff early on
  4. you crafted more stuff
  5. and then you started to RE only to find it not working properly.

Is that basic description accurate?

Suffice it to say, I have always taken advantage of the RE system. At low levels I would craft a number of items just for the skill-ups, maybe use one of them, and RE the rest. So I cannot say whether what you are experiencing is a bug or working as intended.

swtonewbie
04.05.2014 , 10:38 PM | #9
What are you talking about 'level 1' item? you train athe recipes from the crafting trainer. You create might armoring 5 which spits out a green quality might armoring 2. You reverse engineer that green quality might armoring 2 and if you are lucky you learn the recipe to craft a blue quality might armoring 2. You create blue quality might armoring 2 then you reverse engineer that and again if you are lucky you learn the recipe to craft a purple quality might armoring 2.

And thats all there is to it. You dont need to level up might armoring 5 before you can level up might armoring 7. If you want to start making blue quality might armoring 7 then you make some green quality might armoring 7 RE it and hope you learn the recipe for blue quality might armoring 7. The only thing you need to do to progress is to level up your overall cybertech crafting skill so that you can learn more recipes from the trainer. To do that i would not recommend crafting a bunch of blues. Instead craft a bunch of green quality stuff to raise your crafting skill.

If you RE'd a Resolve armoring 5 and you learned a recipe for blue resolve armoring 2 then either you are looking at it wrong or it is a bug. But also keep in mind that some things can be RE'd but you only get materials back and you dont actually learn anything. When you click on the RE icon and you hover your mouse over an item the tooltip will tell you if you learn anything or not.
I'm not really a noob...

swtonewbie
04.05.2014 , 10:51 PM | #10
Ohh and also you mentioned not being able to craft armoring that is the same level a the commendation vendor? here is how i do it:

Level 15-19-23-27-31-35-39-43-47 is when i upgrade my gear
Craft Armoring (i usually craft blue quality if i have lots of underworld metal)
Buy Mod from modification comm vendor
Buy Enhancement from modification comm vendor
Buy Hilt/Barrel from modification comm vendor
At level 27 buy weapons from Tatooine vendors for credits and strip out the mods

Level 17-21-25-29-33-37-41-45-49 is when i upgrade gear for my companion
Craft Armoring (i craft green quality for them)
Craft Mod (also green quality)
Buy enhancement from modification comm vendor OR i give them my old ones when i upgrade my enhancements
Buy barrel/hilt whenever
At level 27 buy weapons from Tatooine vendors for credits and strip out the mods

I always get weapons from the Tatooine spaceport vendor at level 27. It costs 11000-12000 credits, the weapon is moddable and so you can rip out all the mods. The weapon itself has a requirement of level 28, but the mods all have requirements of level 27. I always go through the Tatooine vendor because between me and my companion i save anywhere between 22 to 44 comm badges. Twenty two if we both only have 1 moddable weapon, 44 if we both dual wield (IE Sith Marauder and Vette). So instead of spending 22-44 comm badges i just have to spend 20000-48000 something total credits.

Also while i am questing i always pick the commendations for rewards. I dont normally do heroics on a planet when i am leveling through it. But i will go back once i am overleveled and do it for comms. I will level on Ord Mantell and leave it at level 10. I level on Coruscant and finish at level 16-17. I go back to Ord Mantell and do all the heroics for comms. I level on Taris and leave it at 21-22, go back to Coruscant and do all the heroics for badges. I do it that way so i dont have to stop and get a group when i am on level. I just wait until i over level it and go back and blaze through it all. In fact if you are a Smuggler or Trooper, Ord Mantell heroics have the best time to comm ratio. Less then 5 minutes of work for a level 16-17 and you get 9 comm badges for the Ord Mantell heroics. They are all in the same island too which is why doesnt take so long to do.
I'm not really a noob...