Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler popularity

Rankaze
12.23.2011 , 08:16 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeyeli View Post

Theres 2 kind of people who play Smugglers:
  • The people who want to live the "Space Merecenary Cowboy" fantasy, including not only Han Solo, but bunch of other guys like Captain Reynolds from firefly, or Spike from cowboy bepop, Etc.
  • The people who are interested in the mechanics and gameplay of the class
I'm both at once!

I started out wanting to play a Jedi, and I do have a Jedi Guardian who is level 17 and is a lot of fun, but once I started my Smuggler (Gunslinger, now), well... both from a story/character perspective, and also a gameplay mechanics perspective, the Gunslinger is crazy fun.

Now my Gunslinger is level 26 and I'm not looking back. That's not to say I'm not going to play my Jedi, but I think he's going to always lag behind. I'm just enjoying Gunslinger way, way too much.

silentsurfer
12.23.2011 , 09:14 AM | #12
The number of threads in the forum dont necessarily mean the smuggler is the most popular class.

• The people who want to live the "Space Merecenary Cowboy" fantasy, including not only Han Solo, but bunch of other guys like Captain Reynolds from firefly, or Spike from cowboy bepop, Etc.

I have a friend playing for the first reason, and hes loving the game, im more of a gameplay kind of guy, so im playing the class cause of the mechanics, whatever the reason is, people enjoy the class greatly.

Smugglers and IA are not for everyone i think, they require some patience, and strategy to play most of the time, you cant just dive in and kill stuff without expecting consequence

You have to basically stop and think how many people want to be space cowboys? theres a lot, but compare that to the amount of people wanting to be a jedi. The jedi has been a well established icon in world wide culture, the whole IP revolves around them.

Now the people who are in this for the fun of the mechanics, gamplay and strategy, usually gave every class a try, and stayed with the smuggler cause the though it was what suited their style.

I think the Smuggler is sort of a cult class, lol,

I think in time when people actually try the class, they will fall in love with it and you will see a lot more smugglers.
Nice post, I think this is very accurate. I have been playing due to reason 1, which I think reason 2 is the reason why you may not see to many smugglers actually. I LOVE the 'idea' of the smuggler class, but I don't like the way the mechanics were implemented. I am currently level 20 and on my server I see very few other smugglers, although I see lots of chat about how people love them, just no representation of them being played. On the flip side also, and maybe this is just a server thing for me, but I don't see very many Imperial Agents either. Being that I like to PVP, going into warzones full of almost exclusively sith warriors, sith inquisitors and bounty hunters, the smuggler just isn't a wise choice against those opponents. If they made a smuggler gunslinger build that could be more mobile like a bounty hunter, I'd be all about that. But as it sits, I am probably going to join the masses and abandon my smuggler hoping they will change some mechanics at a later date.

VisusOcculo
12.23.2011 , 10:38 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Rankaze View Post
I'm both at once!
Same!

Abanoth
12.23.2011 , 10:51 AM | #14
I like Smugglers because they're the only character who's not a space wizard or a Super-soldier, just a regular guy with a gun trying to make his way in this screwed up galaxy.

So yeah, I definitely play it for RP reasons, but it's also fun doing nutshots on Sith.

jazzllanna
12.23.2011 , 10:54 AM | #15
I love my smuggler... stole me from the Imp side. I was dead set on being a bad guy but the smuggler story and play is so fun. I think the polls you see are old I would wait and see after a few months to see the true numbers where people ended up. I never thought I would be playing Republic as a main lol
Wichita Gunslinger
The Harbinger
Spoiler

Celestry
12.23.2011 , 11:40 AM | #16
I love my Smuggler. I played on ein beta. The tried consular (which was also fun) and had alot of trouble deciding what to play at launch. I stated a smuggler and a Jedi knight. My smuggler is level 25 and the knight is level 10 and has not been touch in 1 week.

Why I think there is less love for the class..

1. It is Star Wars people figure their main needs to be holding a lightsaber
2. Attacking is moderately more strategic than the hack and slash lightsaber classes
3. The cover mechanic for an MMO is the least familiar. For those coming from MMO (especially WoW) backgrounds this is their first exposure to a cover system. The Jedi characters play more like what people are used too.

Why we love the class and it will grow in popularity

1. The storyline is great. While Jedi's get this moralistic typical Star Wars story. We get a snarky, smart *** gunslinger in the old west tradition. It is a much more light hearted even funny storyline
2. When people figure out the cool and unique cover system.
3. It can be a very versitile class, where other classes (especially knights) are more 1 dimentional
4. We get cool gear.
5. We get a freakin Wookie
6. WE GET THE BEST LINES PERIOD.

I had my entire party laughing during a Hammer Station run 2 nights ago. I decided to go darkside and reprogram the droids. Caught everyone off-gaurd, but the dialog and result made everyone smile.

Faux_Fox
12.23.2011 , 11:52 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by StealthNerf View Post
Yes you can... go saboteur and just spam thermal grenade.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Incidentally, there is Sab-style strategy when you fight the harder stuff. But oh so much bombardment.
"Struggle to live, smuggle to survive."

Ajaxbreaker
12.23.2011 , 11:56 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Celestry View Post
I love my Smuggler. I played on ein beta. The tried consular (which was also fun) and had alot of trouble deciding what to play at launch. I stated a smuggler and a Jedi knight. My smuggler is level 25 and the knight is level 10 and has not been touch in 1 week.

Why I think there is less love for the class..

1. It is Star Wars people figure their main needs to be holding a lightsaber
2. Attacking is moderately more strategic than the hack and slash lightsaber classes
3. The cover mechanic for an MMO is the least familiar. For those coming from MMO (especially WoW) backgrounds this is their first exposure to a cover system. The Jedi characters play more like what people are used too.

Why we love the class and it will grow in popularity

1. The storyline is great. While Jedi's get this moralistic typical Star Wars story. We get a snarky, smart *** gunslinger in the old west tradition. It is a much more light hearted even funny storyline
2. When people figure out the cool and unique cover system.
3. It can be a very versitile class, where other classes (especially knights) are more 1 dimentional
4. We get cool gear.
5. We get a freakin Wookie
6. WE GET THE BEST LINES PERIOD.

I had my entire party laughing during a Hammer Station run 2 nights ago. I decided to go darkside and reprogram the droids. Caught everyone off-gaurd, but the dialog and result made everyone smile.
I don't mean to call you out on this, but I gotta ask: how did you know everyone was smiling?

Also, love my smuggler so far. My friends want to play Imp, but I just can't pull myself away from this toon. Ah well. Can't wait to see more of the story.

LaManoNera
12.23.2011 , 12:28 PM | #19
I think it just means the Smuggler is being played by more "hardcore" players. A casual player wouldn't be on the forums much if at all.
♥ Love ♥
Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope.

eponymousbosch
12.23.2011 , 12:47 PM | #20
The number of threads in the forum dont necessarily mean the smuggler is the most popular class.

I have a friend playing for the first reason, and hes loving the game, im more of a gameplay kind of guy, so im playing the class cause of the mechanics, whatever the reason is, people enjoy the class greatly.

Smugglers and IA are not for everyone i think, they require some patience, and strategy to play most of the time, you cant just dive in and kill stuff without expecting consequence

You have to basically stop and think how many people want to be space cowboys? theres a lot, but compare that to the amount of people wanting to be a jedi. The jedi has been a well established icon in world wide culture, the whole IP revolves around them.

Now the people who are in this for the fun of the mechanics, gamplay and strategy, usually gave every class a try, and stayed with the smuggler cause the though it was what suited their style.

I think the Smuggler is sort of a cult class, lol,

I think in time when people actually try the class, they will fall in love with it and you will see a lot more smugglers.
I'd say both of those bullet points apply to me. Tried a consular and it's fun but got boring quick. Now, the gunslinger smuggler really suits my playstyle.