Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Smuggler popularity

Vokiluk
12.23.2011 , 03:51 AM | #1
On the website swtorprogress.com we can see that the smuggler class is the one which people don't like to play. But...On the official forum (it is here )))... what do we see? The smuggler's threads are more popular than Jedi Consular's and Trooper's - 513 vs 474 and 471. If there is a low percent of people which are playing as a smuggler why there are a lots of threads..Where is the truth?

vhost
12.23.2011 , 03:56 AM | #2
The more educated people were intrigued by the smuggler, while the rest of the population wanted the force users.

Jetflair
12.23.2011 , 03:58 AM | #3
There is more to talk about smuggler since its more tactical class than Jedi or Trooper.

Most other classes seem to charge upfront. Thats not what smuggler is about.

VisusOcculo
12.23.2011 , 07:06 AM | #4
I enjoy the fact that we are unpopular, means more smuggler gear for me and also I look all doctor whoish when I get out my heals

Mikeyeli
12.23.2011 , 07:09 AM | #5
The number of threads in the forum dont necessarily mean the smuggler is the most popular class.

Theres 2 kind of people who play Smugglers:
  • The people who want to live the "Space Merecenary Cowboy" fantasy, including not only Han Solo, but bunch of other guys like Captain Reynolds from firefly, or Spike from cowboy bepop, Etc.
  • The people who are interested in the mechanics and gameplay of the class

I have a friend playing for the first reason, and hes loving the game, im more of a gameplay kind of guy, so im playing the class cause of the mechanics, whatever the reason is, people enjoy the class greatly.

Smugglers and IA are not for everyone i think, they require some patience, and strategy to play most of the time, you cant just dive in and kill stuff without expecting consequence

You have to basically stop and think how many people want to be space cowboys? theres a lot, but compare that to the amount of people wanting to be a jedi. The jedi has been a well established icon in world wide culture, the whole IP revolves around them.

Now the people who are in this for the fun of the mechanics, gamplay and strategy, usually gave every class a try, and stayed with the smuggler cause the though it was what suited their style.

I think the Smuggler is sort of a cult class, lol,

I think in time when people actually try the class, they will fall in love with it and you will see a lot more smugglers.
Stellar Corsairs - Corsarios Estelares

StealthNerf
12.23.2011 , 07:23 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mikeyeli View Post
Smugglers and IA are not for everyone i think, they require some patience, and strategy to play most of the time, you cant just dive in and kill stuff without expecting consequence
Yes you can... go saboteur and just spam thermal grenade.

NightHawke
12.23.2011 , 07:35 AM | #7
I don't like the advertisements, but awesome video man. Very nice.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

NightHawke
12.23.2011 , 07:56 AM | #8
Bah, wrong post lol!
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

PanzerKpw
12.23.2011 , 08:03 AM | #9
Gunslinger is really good in PvP, I'm currently only lvl 18 and I did couple PvP warzones and I topped the damage chart, sometimes 2nd. And I'm level 18 FYI, just figures....

SmugglerYakko
12.23.2011 , 08:10 AM | #10
My Smuggler (Scoundrel-Sawbones) is awesome. She's a great medic and is always appreciated in group battles. Heck, I even heal random people when going from A to B on my own missions. I started a Jedi alt when my character was stuck on Taris for a couple days but the moment it as fixed I haven't gone back (I will eventually but no time soon). Plus, she's got some hilarious lines, a cute giggle when certain skills or abilities activate and as others have said, the careful and tactical nature she must be playing in this game is appealing. And yes, I channel my inner Han Solo, Malcolm and Spike when playing. Out to make a few creds but a heart of gold.

I'm the exact same way with the Mass Effect series. I'm a huge champion of the engineer class.