Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

GrandLordMenace
03.27.2014 , 05:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by tlbww View Post
It's not about doing better, it's about playing my way and having fun. I understand the group aspect as well. Maybe I'll stick to starfighter pvp or not pvp with this toon if the community is of the same thought.
The thing is in an MMO, you aren't the only person playing the game, and much of what people mistake as elitism is just people trying to get you to open your eyes to the "more efficient" way to play, as because the rewards and progression in the game is often dependent on your fellow players, someone who is purposefully "shooting himself in the foot" is sometimes seen as not desirable.
Rydarus of <Aisthesis> on Ebon Hawk
Guardian DPS Guide: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/30/swtor-vi...s-class-guide/
Juggernaut DPS Guide: http://dulfy.net/2014/01/20/swtor-ve...s-class-guide/

Tevzz
03.27.2014 , 05:40 PM | #22
It's not about doing better, it's about playing my way and having fun. I understand the group aspect as well. Maybe I'll stick to starfighter pvp or not pvp with this toon if the community is of the same thought.
Well not using force abilities on a Sentinel is a VERY bad idea. You're limiting yourself so much that I don't even know what to say...unless you plan on making the most out on your class I don't think the Sentinel is a good idea if you plan on not using Force Abilities. Sure, it's about having fun, but when you're causing your teammates NOT to have fun because you're limit yourself for reasons of preference then it's even worse.
Vanov - Carnage Vanv - Vengeance Darrthvanov - Deception Vnv - Focus Va'nov - Advanced Prototype Vnov - Concealment
The Shadowlands

tlbww
03.27.2014 , 11:16 PM | #23
Kinda of reminds me of playing FFXI. You really weren't allowed to play what you want. The community told you how to play. I barely made any individual decision else risked playing solo in an mmo that forced you to group.

I think I'll save my RP build for Rp and reserve an option to refrain from using lightsabers. I was really surprised at amount of negative feedback I got even though I was having some mad fun. The pleasure of one at the expense of others I guess. Even still, the community has a right to the law of their land.

Essence_of_Light
03.27.2014 , 11:22 PM | #24
Kinda of reminds me of playing FFXI. You really weren't allowed to play what you want. The community told you how to play. I barely made any individual decision else risked playing solo in an mmo that forced you to group.

I think I'll save my RP build for Rp and reserve an option to refrain from using lightsabers. I was really surprised at amount of negative feedback I got even though I was having some mad fun. The pleasure of one at the expense of others I guess. Even still, the community has a right to the law of their land.
Don't listen to them. As long as it is fun for you, you're a winner.

The real losers are the ones who force themselves to play the way others tell them to, and lose the fun factor because of it. Win or lose, who cares. It is the fun that matters. Isn't that the reason people play video games in the first place; to have fun?
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Cavell
03.28.2014 , 01:19 AM | #25
I agree that GSF is not exactly intuitive and could do with a much better tutorial. I was absolutely useless at it until I read a few guides and realized that flying around, never adjusting my power pools, never using my skills, etc. was what was getting me killed constantly. There is also a not-insignificant gear gap between new players and people who've been playing it since it launched.

As for PVP...I dunno what to tell you. Neither of the Knight's advanced classes start to get good until the late 20s. I'd argue they don't even come into their own until the 40s, but you can at least start seeing where the spec's going by the 20s.

On the issue of Force powers...I'm not even sure what you mean by this. The overwhelming majority of the Sentinel's attacks have some element of Force use to them, at least in "in-universe" terms. In terms of mechanics, I don't see how it'd be possible to have any success at all at PVP playing a Sentinel that doesn't make extensive use of all the available tools. Sentinels have great defensive cooldowns because they need them. Their rotations are dependent on more abilities than just swinging sabers. Sentinels are a blast to play, and absolutely capable of wrecking face, but they can't do it purely with white damage and none of their DCDs.

You've gotten some responses from people encouraging you to play your way. I'd encourage that, too. Just be aware you will be about as popular with PVP teammates as the kid who plays baseball "his way" by throwing the bat at the pitcher and running to left field instead of trying to hit the ball and run the bases every time he steps up to the plate.

-Alma-
03.28.2014 , 02:05 AM | #26
Swtor is altaholic pve. Play titanfall if you want pvp - you will get a better gaming experience

UseKonDorm
03.28.2014 , 12:05 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
Don't listen to them. As long as it is fun for you, you're a winner.

The real losers are the ones who force themselves to play the way others tell them to, and lose the fun factor because of it. Win or lose, who cares. It is the fun that matters. Isn't that the reason people play video games in the first place; to have fun?
You have fun when half your team is losing you the game 90% of the time because they are not doing enough preparation for PVP? That's like saying a high school basketball is playing for an NBA team in the championship but it doesn't matter as long as "the players are having fun".

People like you is the reason why PVP in this game is not as great or as thrilling as it should be. You expect to equip PVE gear and have BioWare hand you the expertise. You don't work for it. If you wanna PVP or success in it, prepare for it and stop ruin for the others.

Gidrea
03.28.2014 , 12:22 PM | #28
I hope you're on a PvE server, if not, you should move to one.

There's no reason to PvP. Don't let other people tell you that you should do it.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Comtrol - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

JuMoraf
03.28.2014 , 12:27 PM | #29
Troll.
۲۲۲۲۲๑₰ৠ]▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

Essence_of_Light
03.28.2014 , 01:30 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by UseKonDorm View Post
You have fun when half your team is losing you the game 90% of the time because they are not doing enough preparation for PVP? That's like saying a high school basketball is playing for an NBA team in the championship but it doesn't matter as long as "the players are having fun".

People like you is the reason why PVP in this game is not as great or as thrilling as it should be. You expect to equip PVE gear and have BioWare hand you the expertise. You don't work for it. If you wanna PVP or success in it, prepare for it and stop ruin for the others.
Relax man. We're talking about normal PvP here (not Ranked), so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Also, nowhere in my post did I say "Go into PvP with PvE gear on loool" or "Don't help your team at all, cuz they suck". You can still play the AC tree you like, have fun, and be a help to your team, ya' know.

PvPers... I swear.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!