Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Pvp is too hard... starfighter piloting is too hard... I'm sticking with pve

tlbww
03.24.2014 , 02:50 PM | #1
The new player experience is pretty great so far. I get to the Fleet, and I get introduced to a bunch of quests that fail to provide the traditional handholding experience and I'm sure I just made my teammates lose. I can't for the life of me pilot a starfighter... I quit even trying... far too complex and not very intuitive for me being left-handed and having to steer on a kb (might try with a gamepad).

PVP is the typical brand.... but give that I just unlocked my advanced class and fighting against people with a larger array of skills and adept at pvp, I again make for yet another lackluster effort against the inevitable stomping. I don't mind losing at all. Very little was explained to me, so I adapted the 'let me just finish this to get the quest over with' mentality. I would have liked to run around with fellow noobs, but that probably isn't likely as pvp isn't as popular as pve content at least at the low levels. While I get what I deserved joining a pub, it's just ridiculous to pair me against players of any more skill than novice at the start. I learn nothing getting no practice piloting a ship.... I learned that I was underpowered trying to compete in pvp against people with even less pvp skill but with more skills to use.

I'm just saddened that there was not introduction to any of these modes other than throwing you into the mix. If there was a practice zone for me to fly the starfighters around and shoot targets, I missed it. If there were npc playing the classes I would fight against at various levels, I would have really needed to use that.

I apologize for anyone that was grouped against or with Zynoto. I have not SWTOR skill in pvp or any skill in vehicular combat. I'm pretty decent at knowing my class, so flash points and the story missions will be where I stay from now on.

Knorikus
03.24.2014 , 02:57 PM | #2
There is a practice starfighter mode at the top right of the hangar screen (looks like a question mark), and for pvp, it's hard early on, but you have to practice a ton to get good at it.

Norcroft
03.24.2014 , 03:19 PM | #3
When you landed on Fleet and spoke to the greeter for your ac quest there is a holo terminal that has a starship projection. That's a GSF terminal and will give you a quest to find the bay via a turbolift where you can interact somewhat with the ship crewmembers, view models of the various ships , access the reputation vendor and another quest. Also there will be a tutorial that will pop onto your screen and you can read thru it. When click on the GSF icon on your minimap there is an option to go to a training area tather than into battle. It has a time limit on how long you can stay but can go in repeatedly and practice flying and shooting at satellite defenses
For pvp, your in the right area to get a ton of help via the pvp forums. With expert player guides and links to in game videos you can get a sense of what you need to do in the various maps and contribute.
Will you be an expert your 1st or even 10th run? Nope. Will you get better because you feel more comfortable each time and with new ablilities/skills be more effective? Certainly. Find guides that help you set hotkeys instead of clicking, establish/ practice rotations and be ready to modify with next new powers.
You figured out how the pve works (just check the new player forum to see how hard that is for someone brand new to mmo's) so you can , with time and some effort, figure pvp/ gsf if you want to. Happy Star Warsing

Norcroft
03.24.2014 , 03:22 PM | #4
And one of these days I'll figure out how to make the post in the forum look like it does when I'm typing it out in the reply box. With 1st line to the right a few spaces and proper gaps between paragraphs.

Essence_of_Light
03.24.2014 , 03:30 PM | #5
It is perfectly fine, and don't feel bad for "making your team lose". After all, a team isn't composed of one person.

PvP is not for everyone, and can be hard to grasp (especially space PvP in which you're talking about, otherwise known as GSF). GSF has a very steep learning curve, especially for players new to flight simulators & space combat in general.

I hope you have a good day! The important thing to remember is that if you don't enjoy it; don't do it.
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Cuiwe
03.24.2014 , 04:03 PM | #6
You don't have to do those modes hm?

PvE is more than enough imo...

Hoshkar
03.24.2014 , 04:05 PM | #7
We all started at level 1 at some point. You like to PvP (or starfighter), then keep doing it, that is the only way you will get better at it. Some people will be better then you, some will be worse. Same goes for every aspect of the game to be honest. Do what you enjoy doing in the game. Trust me, a new person in PvE has to learn things just as much, but solo at least you only hurt yourself in the process
New to the game? (Get a free starter pack!!!) Just coming back to the game after 90+ days? (Get a 7 day subscription, a bundle pack and 1 character transfer!!!) Feel free to use me as a Referral! (CLICK HERE)

MidichIorian
03.24.2014 , 05:34 PM | #8
For ground PvP/warzones it's much easier to start off on a ranged class. Not sure what class you are playing but even expereinced players can get into trouble on lowbie melees. Melee generally bloom late and without the good attacks and defensive abilties you quickly become a sitting duck. It is possible to get heal support at lower levels but healers generally don't bloom until they get their lvl 30 abilties, assuming they don't waste points in the other trees.

Hence, if you're still a level 10-15 and want to get into PvP but happen to play melee I would advice you to either endure the first 30-40 levels or re-roll as quickly as possible for a chance to get used to PvP without getting steamrolled in every game. You might regret such a re-roll at higher levels though since melee is pretty good up there.

What to start on really is a two-edged sword, especially for someone who is new to the genre. I would say that sage/sorc by far are the easiest classes to start out on and they're really good in lowbie PvP. The problem arises when you are going to roll an alt and everything becomes harder to play, from a mechanical PoV. So in that aspect it might be a good idea to start with something a bit more advanced, such as guardian/jugg, and then take a step back.

juleswinfield
03.24.2014 , 05:52 PM | #9
Roll a sniper/gunslinger for pvp until you get a good grasp of HOW the WZs work. They deal high damage even at low levels, so... A) you'll get a sense of contributing to your team's success. And B) it is far more forgiving if you are trying to transition from clicking to keybinding, especially when you run into those "oh ****" moments where you find yourself looking at your action bar and get that ugly urge to click again, than trying to learn whilst playing a melee class.

GSF is trash... Your life would be better without it.
deuce

Xakthul
03.24.2014 , 05:59 PM | #10
WZs are only truly difficult if you're a melee DPS. GunSnipes, Scoups, and GuardJuggs are pretty easy to play PvP with (GuardJuggs in tank role)

Oh... and for future reference:

GunSnipe = Gunslinger/Sniper
Scoup = Scoundrel/Operative
GuardJugg = Guardian/Juggernaut
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf