Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need a help choosing your class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Need a help choosing your class?

Cuiwe
07.19.2014 , 05:35 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Andytori View Post
How important is the following to you:

Defence: 6

Support(Healing): 3

Damage: 6

Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 5

Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 5

Empire: 5

Republic: 5

Lightsabers: 5

The Force: 5

Tech Gadgets: 5

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 5

Armour: Light(robes)-Medium(leather/uniforms)-Heavy(plaSTEEL)
Doesn't Matter

Dual Wielding: Doesn't matter

Big Weapons(two handed): No

Stealth: No

Method of damage: Overtime

Scope of damage: Multi-Target

Favourite SW character: none

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: <insert class(es)>-none
Now, this one is rather difficult due to all those 5s. But there is something to be said here after all. A tanky DPS with a focus on AoE DoTs. As well as Faction/alignment Neutral. I think that the only class that fits would be a Bounty Hunter PowerTech. I'd even go as far as to say a hybrid between the Advanced Prototype and the PyroTech trees, but seeing how they keep making classes more and more bland(ehm..."balanced" yes! Of course!) that suggestion is out of the window. Try either of those two talent trees.

Bounty Hunter
PowerTech
Advanced prototype OR PyroTech

If you are willing to go a bit more Factional, you could also play(now there are some actual sacrifices here):

Jedi Shadow/Sith Assassin
Balance/Madness

This makes you considerably more vulnerable than Bounty Hunter, but one could argue that damage is higher. Lesser DoTs as well.

Jedi Sentinel/Sith Marauder
Focus/Rage

Now, the Shii-Cho's talent tree makes you really uncannily resilient. I'd argue that is the pinacle of the meaning "tanky DPS" in this game. Is there a catch? Of course there is! Your DoTs...aren't. They disappeared! It's completely DD focused.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

Cuiwe
07.20.2014 , 05:09 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
What kind of a host would I be if I didn't give you an example? You'll get my answers, so you know what to expect:

Def: 9
Supp: 2
Dmg: 6
L.Side: 8
D.Side: 3
Empire: 9
Republic: 2
Sabre: 6
Force: 3
Tech: 8
Guns: 7
Armour: Heavy
Dual wield: Neutral
Big: No
Method: Over Time
Scope: Area
Char: Jango/Boba Fett
XP: White Lion (Guardian)/Knight(Glory)/Shadow Warrior(Skirmish)[WAR], Survival Hunter(wow), Beastmaster/Warlord/Chloromancer/Archon(Rift), Brute Barbarian/Spirit BS/2H Conq(AoC), Mesmer/Paragon(GW 1)

Result(s): core class-alternate class-talent tree

1. Bounty Hunter-Powertech-ShieldTech/Adv.Prototype
2. Trooper-Vanguard-Tactics/Assault
3. Inquisitor-Assassin-Darkness
Honorable mention: Agent-Sniper-Lethality
Ok, so I decided to update my own info:

Def: 9
Supp: 1
DPS: 7
L.Side: 9
D.Side: 2
Empire: 3
Republic: 8
Sabre: 5
Force: 7
Tech: 8
Guns: 6
Armour: Heavy
Dual Wield: Neutral
Big: Neutral(saberstaves are ok as are snipers. Cannons-not nearly as much)
Method: Neutral-slight lean towards DoT
Scope: Neutral-slight lean towards AoE

Results:

1. Bountyhunter: PowerTech(ShieldTech)
or
Trooper: Vanguard(Assault)
2. Jedi Consular: Jedi Shadow(Kinetic Combat)
3. Jedi Knight: Jedi Sentinel(Focus)
Honourable mention: Imp.Agent: Sniper(Lethality or Engineering)

Observe how much it changed since I posted this last time.
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

Andytori
07.20.2014 , 01:47 PM | #33
thanks man

Cuiwe
07.20.2014 , 02:28 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Andytori View Post
thanks man
No problem. How'd it go?

Econometrix
07.29.2014 , 05:13 PM | #35
Cuiwe, I am leveling a couple of classes and am developing my preferences as we speak. However, as a researcher, I am intrigued by your survey. My responses appear below. I assume a positive scale where 1= least important and 10= most important.

Defence: 1-10 [4]

Support(Healing): 1-10 [5 - In a support role, I am more comfortable playing a healer than tank, but having heals available to me while fulfilling a dps role is not terribly important]

Damage: 1-10 [9]

Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 1-10 [2]

Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 1-10 [8]

Empire: 1-10 [9]

Republic: 1-10 [3]

Lightsabers: 1-10 [7]

The Force: 1-10 [8]

Tech Gadgets: 1-10 [6]

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 1-10 [4]

Armour: Light(robes)-Medium(leather/uniforms)-Heavy(plaSTEEL) [No preference, light acceptable]

Dual Wielding: Yes-No [No preference]

Big Weapons(two handed): Yes-No [No strong preference, saberstaff is cool but obviously directs one to two classes]

Stealth: Yes-No [Preferred]

Method of damage: Direct-Over Time [No strong preference, dot acceptable]

Scope of damage: Single Target-Multi Target(Area) [Strong multi-target preferred {holdover from playing EQ2 warlock}]

Favourite SW character: <insert name>-none [Grievous {walking Cuisinart}]

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: <insert class(es)>-none [Casters typically {EQ2: warlock (main), illusionist, coercer, WoW: warlock (main), mage, GW2: elementalist (main)}]

Cuiwe
07.30.2014 , 02:12 AM | #36
Madness and Lightning Sorcerer. It all points there. Especially towards madness one. DoTs, prior xp, armour, scope, everything. It even achieves at least 4 on Defence by having those strong CCs of his.

Enjoy!

KonichiwaWitch
07.30.2014 , 04:19 PM | #37
This sounds like fun!

I have a bunch of old alts, but haven't played this game in more than two years, and so much has changed. Here are my preferences, and I'm interested in your opinion:

Defence: 5
Support(Healing): 7
Damage: 9
Light Side: 10
Dark Side: 1
The Force: 7
Tech Gadgets: 4
Armour: Light or Medium
Dual Wielding: Neutral
Big Weapons: No
Stealth: Yes (But I can live without it)
Method of damage: Neutral, will be solo-leveling
Scope of damage: Neutral, will be solo-leveling
Favorite SW character: R2D2 from the movies, and Jolee Bindo from KoToR.

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: I usually play a glass-cannon dps, or some sort of healer/support person. Favorites include my WoW Shadow Priest, and my TSW leech healer and dpser.

Please tell me my fortune, oh wise one?

Econometrix
07.30.2014 , 04:26 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
Madness and Lightning Sorcerer. It all points there. Especially towards madness one. DoTs, prior xp, armour, scope, everything. It even achieves at least 4 on Defence by having those strong CCs of his.

Enjoy!
Thanks for the prompt response... and affirmation. The only things missing are stealth, which is very nice to have in this game, and mobility.

Cuiwe
07.30.2014 , 06:24 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Econometrix View Post
Thanks for the prompt response... and affirmation. The only things missing are stealth, which is very nice to have in this game, and mobility.
And this is the part I overlooked intentionally. It interested me if it would surface eventually and, lo and behold, it did! You could play madness in either tbh. But if you want AoE: Sorc. If you want mobility, better ST, stealth and a sabrestaff: Assassin.

See, I didn't have to say a word. You, just by filling those forms, answered this for yourself. Because, willingly or not, you were aiming at an Inq(either).

Cuiwe
07.30.2014 , 06:38 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by KonichiwaWitch View Post
This sounds like fun!

I have a bunch of old alts, but haven't played this game in more than two years, and so much has changed. Here are my preferences, and I'm interested in your opinion:

Defence: 5
Support(Healing): 7
Damage: 9
Light Side: 10
Dark Side: 1
The Force: 7
Tech Gadgets: 4
Armour: Light or Medium
Dual Wielding: Neutral
Big Weapons: No
Stealth: Yes (But I can live without it)
Method of damage: Neutral, will be solo-leveling
Scope of damage: Neutral, will be solo-leveling
Favorite SW character: R2D2 from the movies, and Jolee Bindo from KoToR.

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: I usually play a glass-cannon dps, or some sort of healer/support person. Favorites include my WoW Shadow Priest, and my TSW leech healer and dpser.

Please tell me my fortune, oh wise one?
Funny you mentioned him. The old sod. Are you aware that you answered it for yourself in the last 2-3 forms? Anyhow:

What is certain is that you're looking for sage. LS 10 practically screams Consular. Now we have to determine which spec. You mentioned S.Priest and Rifle, so let's see. We can remake s.priest(somewhat), but we can't remake Rifle gameplay(to my big chagrin). I'll come back to the Rifle gameplay. Your best bet would be to go Sage and work your way up the balance tree. If you want it, you can very much hybrid Balance with healing in order to get pretty s.priest-y feel. I'd recommend investing heavily into CC then(Pinning Resolve etc). It turns game real easy(but enjoyable seeing the amount of control you have-both over enemies and allies!). Therefore:

JEDI CONSULAR
SAGE
Balance or Balance/Heal hybrid

I hope that you enjoy your class! And welcome back!

edit: Abot the Rifle healing(lifetap), we could've had it. If you ask me, the Bounty hunter/Trooper Healing should be about that. I mean shooting at an ally with both pistols is just...daft. And no matter what the explanation would've been like, it'd be better than "I SHOT MY ALLY! HE IS HEALED!". See now what I mean? Oh and scanning is SO unlike bh(probe Healing is, otoh, very fun and good looking-Commando). It just makes sense(imo). Idk what others think, but this is neither the place nor time for such talk. I just shared my observation