Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need a help choosing your class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Need a help choosing your class?

Cuiwe
03.27.2014 , 12:46 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I already have a huge number of alts, but I'm curious about what you would recommend to me, so I fill this anyway if you don't mind. Just in case I feel like doing more alts to different servers. (And maybe you can help me decide which alts I should prioritize over others)
I'm assuming 0 = not important and 10 = very important

Defence: 2

Support(Healing): 5

Damage: 7

Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 5

Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 6

Empire: 9

Republic: 4

Lightsabers: 5

The Force: 7

Tech Gadgets: 7 for knives, 2 for everything else (not sure if knives are counted to this, though)

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 7

Armour: Medium (not a game breaker though, since there's adaptive armor)

Dual Wielding: Doesn't matter

Big Weapons(two handed): Doesn't matter if the weapon itself isn't huge (like some assault cannons)

Stealth: Nice to have but I can live without

Method of damage: Again, burst is nice to have, especially in pvp, but I can live without.

Scope of damage: Preferring single target

Favourite SW character: If we're counting people in Expanded Universe, Thrawn and Mara Jade. From movies, I'll probably have to go with Obi-Wan.

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: No prior MMO experience.
You, otoh, I can sort out directly. As was mentioned, the Operative is not a bad choice, but it seems that you want something else. This is visible from your favourite characters and the tree I'll suggest is more force attuned anyhow. You'll get two as well.

First is Imperial Agent-Operative-Concealment. This is a nice medium armoured class that I DETEST because of the very same reason you like it. Knives. It has offhealing to boot and is sth that'd come up First to someone. Not me though. And I think you are looking for this:

Sith Warrior-Sith Marauder-Carnage. Your liking of Mara and Obi go hand in hand with Ataru(Mara used it and Obi started with it, don't forget that Qui swore by it) specced Carnage, you get Medium armour, burst and some of nicest buffs in the game.

Try those two.

UdristeAlexandru
03.27.2014 , 12:48 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cuiwe View Post
Ok. Let's see. I'll suggest two classes. Because two classes fit, but one way better. Before I say anything, how do you feel on a Sent and Sin? After you answer, you'll have these suggestions. Leave that Warrior blank tho(without AC).
Well, here it goes.
On Sent(lvl 37)(combat) : First thing I noticed - i suck at PVP with it. At PVE i finished the first chapter of story line without problems, but around lvl 30 i started to make more research regarding the rotation, because on a long run in a fight the surv is pretty low. Now after the first mission of chapter two (some expert moobs) i died at one of them due to 3 sec delay in the rotation which really showed me that maybe i should re-spec to another tree, but the combat one is the one i like most....
On Sin (lvl26) (deception) : All the aspects until now are so fine that i can't believe what i saw on sith forums that deception is not good for lvling. I don't have any problems neither in PVE or PVP , mostly due to the fact that i use my companion as a tank. I notice that if I tend to go before my companion i loose very fast health points, but still i have time for the ultra defensive skills and i can avoid death with half of my HP all the times. As for PVP i was able to get kills even when i joined at lvl 10, i still wonder if later in the game i will reach to a block as it happened with the Sent, that's the reason i started the other 3 chars, but i really would like to know on which of this 5 to concentrate mostly in order to have a better game experience.

Seireeni
03.27.2014 , 01:40 PM | #23
Thanks for your suggestions. ^^ I actually have a level 16 concealment operative AND a level 55 scrapper scoundrel, but I leveled that scoundrel as a healer until level 45 or so, which lead to me creating a concealment operative just to get the "level experience" with this spec, too. Should be fun, then. ^^
I actually also have, no carnage marauder, but a combat sentinel that hit level 55 just last week. I'm not too fond of the randomness of the procs, but if everything does go right, you can do some serious damage in pvp with that spec.

I've been wondering which skill tree I should use on my Pot5 marauder toon, and based on this (and my experiences with a combat sentinel), I think I should at least try carnage... Especially since rage is getting nerfed.
Though, I have to admit, I was a little surprised to get marauder from this, since I've always favoured inquisitors/consulars and agents/smugglers over warriors/knights.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Cuiwe
03.27.2014 , 03:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. ^^ I actually have a level 16 concealment operative AND a level 55 scrapper scoundrel, but I leveled that scoundrel as a healer until level 45 or so, which lead to me creating a concealment operative just to get the "level experience" with this spec, too. Should be fun, then. ^^
I actually also have, no carnage marauder, but a combat sentinel that hit level 55 just last week. I'm not too fond of the randomness of the procs, but if everything does go right, you can do some serious damage in pvp with that spec.

I've been wondering which skill tree I should use on my Pot5 marauder toon, and based on this (and my experiences with a combat sentinel), I think I should at least try carnage... Especially since rage is getting nerfed.
Though, I have to admit, I was a little surprised to get marauder from this, since I've always favoured inquisitors/consulars and agents/smugglers over warriors/knights.
Would a Cons/Inq use Ataru? That'd be a day...

Cuiwe
03.27.2014 , 03:08 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by UdristeAlexandru View Post
Well, here it goes.
On Sent(lvl 37)(combat) : First thing I noticed - i suck at PVP with it. At PVE i finished the first chapter of story line without problems, but around lvl 30 i started to make more research regarding the rotation, because on a long run in a fight the surv is pretty low. Now after the first mission of chapter two (some expert moobs) i died at one of them due to 3 sec delay in the rotation which really showed me that maybe i should re-spec to another tree, but the combat one is the one i like most....
On Sin (lvl26) (deception) : All the aspects until now are so fine that i can't believe what i saw on sith forums that deception is not good for lvling. I don't have any problems neither in PVE or PVP , mostly due to the fact that i use my companion as a tank. I notice that if I tend to go before my companion i loose very fast health points, but still i have time for the ultra defensive skills and i can avoid death with half of my HP all the times. As for PVP i was able to get kills even when i joined at lvl 10, i still wonder if later in the game i will reach to a block as it happened with the Sent, that's the reason i started the other 3 chars, but i really would like to know on which of this 5 to concentrate mostly in order to have a better game experience.
Sith Warrior-Sith Jugg-Vengeance or Immortality is your First choice. Quite predictable to boot.

Bounty Hunter-Mercenary-Arsenal or Bodyguard is your second choice.

By recommending those two I covered all the possibilities that you might like. Try them. One is for healing days and the other is for Tank days while keeping the DPS focus(main trees being Venge and Arsenal). Enjoy!

And leveling with Assassin is easy as fk. I use Darkness and me and Dashade are well, unstoppable. Just a split of damage and nothing's impossible. I guess that could be said of Deception as well. Dash is awesome .

Darth_Kael
03.28.2014 , 03:08 AM | #26
Okay imma give this a shot.

Defence: 7

Support(Healing): 2

Damage: 8

Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 5

Republic: 5

Lightsabers: 7

The Force: 5

Tech Gadgets: 6

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 6

Armour: Med/Hvy

Dual Wielding: Either

Big Weapons(two handed): Either

Stealth: Either

Method of damage: Direct

Scope of damage: Either

Favourite SW character: Anakin Ep3(book), Darth Caedus, Darth Sion, Darth Maul, Savage, Qui-gon

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: DDO: Paly,DW Warrior Lotro: Ranger PoE: Duelist

Cuiwe
03.28.2014 , 08:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Kael View Post
Okay imma give this a shot.

Defence: 7

Support(Healing): 2

Damage: 8

Lightsabers: 7

Tech Gadgets: 6

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 6

Armour: Med/Hvy

Dual Wielding: Either

Big Weapons(two handed): Either

Stealth: Either

Method of damage: Direct

Scope of damage: Either

Favourite SW character: Anakin Ep3(book), Darth Caedus, Darth Sion, Darth Maul, Savage, Qui-gon

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: DDO: Paly,DW Warrior Lotro: Ranger PoE: Duelist
There are two. You seem to like classes that can hold their own while dealing damage directly. From your previous played classes and your favoured characters I can deduct the following:

1. Sith Warrior-Sith Jugger-Vengeance. This is pretty straightforward and I think you yourself doubted this. It is more PR less like a damage oriented Paladin. Direct, tough and like an archetypical Sith.

2. Sith Warrior-Sith Marauder-Rage. This choice isn't as obvious as previous one because it activates later. But once it activates, oh boy! Shi-Cho gives +10% DR(this is... :O ), huge swings of damage etc. This fits as well. Important: Rage is way better at Mara(imo) and, overall, gives more of what you want @ Mara as well. It is like an atypical DW Warrior(typical being sorta like Carnage).

The question you need to ask yourself: Marka or Naga? When you answer this, you'll know the answer.

There you have it!

-Silver-
03.31.2014 , 10:41 AM | #28
Are there any classes built around speed and agility? In previous MMOs I've always adored classes with high mobility (Druid in WoW for speedy cat form, cheetah form, jumping into flight form etc, and an Orc Tyrant in Lineage where you can switch totems around for insane attack speed or insane movement speed).

I seem to love hybrid classes in MMOs with a focus on mobility, and I'm struggling with my Shadow and Sniper characters in SWTOR since they're much slower in comparison (Shadow is uber-tanky with low damage, Sniper has great damage but very slow initiation and cover ability means I'm rooted in place when using most skills).

Cuiwe
07.18.2014 , 06:08 PM | #29
Right, I am reviving this because I was FINALLY able to resub. Tbh, I think that Cartel Coins would be more appropriate + more cheap, but what's here is here.

Enough of that. If you have trouble choosing your class and you're in dillema or even in trillema-feel free to ask! I am at your service
"I am not in this for politics, nor the wanton destruction, hell not even for credits. I have chosen this way of life because of the hunt and because it was pushed onto me on some ugly slimeball called a "pearl" and Honour bound me to this path ever onwards" Caelestinus

Andytori
07.19.2014 , 04:00 PM | #30
How important is the following to you:

Defence: 6

Support(Healing): 3

Damage: 6

Empire: 5

Lightsabers: 5

Tech Gadgets: 5

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 5

Armour: Light(robes)-Medium(leather/uniforms)-Heavy(plaSTEEL)
Doesn't Matter

Dual Wielding: Doesn't matter

Big Weapons(two handed): No

Stealth: No

Method of damage: Overtime

Scope of damage: Multi-Target

Favourite SW character: none

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: <insert class(es)>-none