Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need a help choosing your class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Need a help choosing your class?

Cuiwe
03.23.2014 , 06:35 PM | #1
NOTICE: This thread is on pause as of Monday, August the 18th!

I want to help all the newbies around here by steering them in the right direction, so I decided to do this little project. Can't hurt now can it ? With that said, let's get to the meat and taters eh?

Here's how we'll do it: you'll answer a set of questions so both we and you yourself become aware of what it is that you are truly looking for in a class. It's fairly easy, but please be honest to yourself first and to us second. Ok, now for the questions:

How important is the following to you:

Defence: 1-10

Support(Healing): 1-10

Damage: 1-10

Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 1-10

Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 1-10

Empire: 1-10

Republic: 1-10

Lightsabers: 1-10

The Force: 1-10

Tech Gadgets: 1-10

Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 1-10

Armour: Light(robes)-Medium(leather/uniforms)-Heavy(plaSTEEL)

Dual Wielding: Yes-No

Big Weapons(two handed): Yes-No

Stealth: Yes-No

Method of damage: Direct-Over Time

Scope of damage: Single Target-Multi Target(Area)

Favourite SW character: <insert name>-none

Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: <insert class(es)>-none

Cuiwe
03.23.2014 , 08:25 PM | #2
What kind of a host would I be if I didn't give you an example? You'll get my answers, so you know what to expect:

Def: 9
Supp: 2
Dmg: 6
L.Side: 8
D.Side: 3
Empire: 9
Republic: 2
Sabre: 6
Force: 3
Tech: 8
Guns: 7
Armour: Heavy
Dual wield: Neutral
Big: No
Stealth: No
Method: Over Time
Scope: Area
Char: Jango/Boba Fett
XP: White Lion (Guardian)/Knight(Glory)/Shadow Warrior(Skirmish)[WAR], Survival Hunter(wow), Beastmaster/Warlord/Chloromancer/Archon(Rift), Brute Barbarian/Spirit BS/2H Conq(AoC), Mesmer/Paragon(GW 1)

Result(s): core class-alternate class-talent tree

1. Bounty Hunter-Powertech-ShieldTech/Adv.Prototype
2. Trooper-Vanguard-Tactics/Assault
3. Inquisitor-Assassin-Darkness
Honorable mention: Agent-Sniper-Lethality

MarkMarakus
03.24.2014 , 03:13 AM | #3
I am curious on what your outcome will be, I have a level 25 character at the moment and thinking to start a second one not sure yet what to go for

Defence: 5,5
Support(Healing): 5,5
Damage: 5,5
Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 8
Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 2
Empire: 8
Republic: 2
Lightsabers: 6
The Force: 6
Tech Gadgets: 4
Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 4
Armour: Neutral
Dual Wielding: Neutral
Big Weapons(two handed): Neutral
Stealth: No
Method of damage: Direct
Scope of damage: Neutral
Favourite SW character: Qui-Gon Jinn
Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: Mage, Warrior, Druid (WOW)

Cuiwe
03.24.2014 , 05:03 AM | #4
Which mage/druid/warrior? Talent trees yeh.

This is the important question.

Edit: I have a Definite class on the mind, but will withhold it for a moment more.

MarkMarakus
03.24.2014 , 05:19 AM | #5
An Ice Mage, Damage dealer Warrior (no idea the talent tree) and balanced Druid
“Evacuate in our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances.”

MarkMarakus
03.24.2014 , 05:21 AM | #6
By the way my level 25 char is a Jedi Sage (Telekinetics, and few points in Seer)

Cuiwe
03.24.2014 , 05:42 AM | #7
If you switched over to the balance seer, that'd be quite like balance druid. It's got a lot of CC, so it'd be akin to the Ice as well(Pinning Resolve <3). That one should be your main.

As for the second, it'll be a Marauder. Carnage Marauder. I'll explain why in ~30 minutes. Here is why:

You probably played a Fury Warrior in wow. You know two weapons? Not only that, but you actively said that you wanted sth in the middle. While Carnage is pretty shifted towards damage spectrum, it still has nice Defensive mechanics(6s cd interrupt, Cloak of Pain etc) coupled with an awesome ability you get in 40s I think(Bloodlust I think it's called. The equivalent of Sent's inspiration and yes there is a reason why it has staggering THREE MINUTES cd) that will output an unusual amount of support. Combat/Carnage is the most difficult of all Sent/Mara trees though. There is an additional reason why I steered you in that way. You see, both the Carnage and Qui Gon use the same stance: Ataru stance or the more formal name: Form IV. Besides, it's the archetypical stance from the movies(I am more of a Makeshi/Soresu type of guy). Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Luke all used it. Oh and it's as direct as it comes(only Sniper is more direct lol).

In short: Sith Warrior-Sith Marauder-Carnage.

Enjoy!

MarkMarakus
03.24.2014 , 08:10 AM | #8
Hey mate, thanks! Just a thing though I wondered how you came up with a sith and then I saw I switched my Empire and Republic answer so I prefer Republic over Empire I am not sure yet to switch my main to balanced I might though. My Druid was my least favourite character, first was Mage then Warrior (indeed Fury it was) then my Druid.

For my coming character I am having doubts between Smuggler and Trooper, what would you suggest?

PS: I will keep Sith Marauder in my mind for my third character though

Cuiwe
03.24.2014 , 09:13 AM | #9
Based on your specs the Jedi Sentinel-Combat would be just perfect(the equivalent of Carnage Mara).

If you just insist on either Trooper or smuggler, I'd have to say Trooper because Scoundrel smuggler is eliminated(no to stealth) and Gunslinger, well, you've gotta really like damage in order to play him. He is eliminated as well. This leaves the Trooper. For a jack of all trades, I'd have to say Commando, which seems is what you want. Vanguard is ok as well, but sth tells me you don't want to go melee with trooper.

I'd still HIGHLY suggest Combat Sentinel and if not, a hm..., Gunnery Commando(this is very akin to the Arcane mage-any thoughts on that one?).

That's that.

ravenlordg
03.24.2014 , 11:08 AM | #10
I have 3-4 characters at the moment, nothing special between 20-30 lvl, and of course i cant choose one to main and finally enjoy the game, so i guess i need help :P

Defence: 4
Support(Healing): 7
Damage: 9
Light Side(Good+Lawful alignments): 6
Dark Side(Evil+Chaotic alignments): 7
Empire: 4
Republic: 6
Lightsabers: 6
The Force: 4
Tech Gadgets: 7
Guns(Blasters, Snipers, etc): 8
Armour: Heavy
Dual Wielding: Neutral
Big Weapons(two handed): No
Stealth: Neutral
Method of damage: Direct
Scope of damage: Multi-target
Favourite SW character: both Fetts and Han
Prior MMO experience/liked class(es)/etc: affliction lock and combat rogue (wow) / Champion (lotro) / Warrior and Engineer (gw2)