Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, should I just keep at it or give up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
So, should I just keep at it or give up?

SammyGStatus
03.24.2014 , 12:25 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by RiVaN_ View Post
To the OP,

I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but I hope you get where I'm coming from when I'm done.
Every match, pilot, ship and ship build out is different so being "good" is a matter of perspective. I think that a couple of my guildmates are some of the best on our server (Jedi Covenant. And damn my integrity because I'm not allowed to vote them to be Aces in the Aces thread) Because they usually always have top damage, kills and assists in every match we play together. My guildmates think I'm better than I do because I usually manage a good round with only 2 or 3 deaths and I am decent at bringing other ships in to our kills sack. They get 15+ kills 15+ and assists & 60+ damage a match and I am usually more around 5 - 8 kills and 10 - 15 assists and 30k damage.

Because most players in GSF measure suck vs ace by kill count and damage dealt, I suck big time. I personally have stopped looking at my kills to measure my skills, but my manual evasion (WW2 Pilots like my grandpa used to call that "barnstorming") and deaths.
I spent MANY matches on the PTS, early access and Live Launch just maneuvering, flying around stuff giving folks a target and pulling them into a kill box. I still spend MANY matches flying around and being annoying. I'm a scout, that is what I do.

Stop trying to measure your skill against Gunships that can get 15 - 20 kills a match without thinking about it. Stop comparing yourself to Bombers who can get 15 - 20 assists just by showing up to the party. Look at what your ship's role is built for and make your own measuring stick. Mine is maneuvering and deaths.
Yeah now all the "real aces" out there are saying "that's because you suck."
Yeah, so what.
I like this post. While I wish you could be getting more kills (cuz you're playing your class right, but you're prolly getting a crapload of assists), it's the role of your ship that's the main factor in this. If the OP keeps playing, he'll learn the ship roles better. After he reads this, I hope he continues.

* I'm like 200 matches away from Fleet Admiral (I made a couple toons on diff servers, which means it doesn't apply towards my main's legacy ), and I can say I've learned most between the 300-400 match range, because I had multiple ships with upgrades and could figure out what works and what doesn't simply by experimenting and not getting completely gimped by having a naked ship. Patience, padawan.
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

RiVaN_
03.24.2014 , 12:29 PM | #42
To the OP,

I'm gonna beat a dead horse, but I hope you get where I'm coming from when I'm done.
Every match, pilot, ship and ship build out is different so being "good" is a matter of perspective. I think that a couple of my guildmates are some of the best on our server (Jedi Covenant. And damn my integrity because I'm not allowed to vote them to be Aces in the Aces thread) Because they usually always have top damage, kills and assists in every match we play together. My guildmates think I'm better than I do because I usually manage a good round with only 2 or 3 deaths and I am decent at bringing other ships in to our kills sack. They get 15+ kills 15+ and assists & 60+ damage a match and I am usually more around 5 - 8 kills and 10 - 15 assists and 30k damage.

Because most players in GSF measure suck vs ace by kill count and damage dealt, I suck big time. I personally have stopped looking at my kills to measure my skills, but my manual evasion (WW2 Pilots like my grandpa used to call that "barnstorming") and deaths.
I spent MANY matches on the PTS, early access and Live Launch just maneuvering, flying around stuff giving folks a target and pulling them into a kill box. I still spend MANY matches flying around and being annoying. I'm a scout, that is what I do.

Stop trying to measure your skill against Gunships that can get 15 - 20 kills a match without thinking about it. Stop comparing yourself to Bombers who can get 15 - 20 assists just by showing up to the party. Look at what your ship's role is built for and make your own measuring stick. Mine is maneuvering and deaths.
Yeah, so what.
Drivan, Sentinel - Souls of Fate
Nikolete, Scoundrel, Republic FlashFire - Souls of Fate
Ra'mel, Merc - The Gentelman Bastards
Souls of Fate - Jedi Covenant

Devrius
03.24.2014 , 05:12 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by RiVaN_ View Post
To the OP,

Yeah, so what.
I've actually been doing that on my scout for a while now, last game (which we lost) I got 1/14/1 18k damage on my scout, I literally just poked people then ran back to the group and help down anyone foolish enough to tail me and separate from the group

Armonddd
03.24.2014 , 05:16 PM | #44
I think a lot of people don't realize that the original question has been resolved and the OP's performance has dramatically improved with the advice presented.

Unless the OP has more questions, I think it's time we let this thread lie.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Devrius
03.24.2014 , 05:18 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
I think a lot of people don't realize that the original question has been resolved and the OP's performance has dramatically improved with the advice presented.

Unless the OP has more questions, I think it's time we let this thread lie.
Aye, please do.

I greatly appreciate the help, it really helped me out at a point I was seriously thinking of giving up.

Thanks everyone!