Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, should I just keep at it or give up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
So, should I just keep at it or give up?

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 10:36 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
Oh I have it on a couple scouts, the problem is that my situational awareness is not up to spec, meaning I often end up with someone on my six and Retro doesn't help me out much then.
That's legit. Practice will make perfect. In that case, some pointers for when you're more comfortable with it:

If you're in the open, retro will often put you behind the guy on your tail (assuming you don't smash your rear into an asteroid or some such). You can game this a bit by pressing S or X (to reduce or kill your speed, respectively) before hitting retro. Other people have told me you can do it after hitting retro as well, but that's just not a habit I got into. (I should probably practice it.)

In a head to head, retro gives you an enormous missile advantage. Not only do you break their lock, but you can usually finish your own as well. If you're quick, you can also use this time to land some laser shots -- I find burst and heavy cannons are best here (burst will do big damage while giving you time to aim, while heavies always do big damage when you can reduce the tracking penalty, and can be upgraded for shield piercing, hull damage, and armor penetration -- a very potent combination).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

General_Brass
03.23.2014 , 02:59 PM | #22
1. Don't beat yourself up
2.Remember it's a team game not a solo game.

You can improve immensely and it still won't help. Right now you are likely on a server where your side, is likely facing enemies in fully upgraded ships, using voice chat to coordinate vs your group of pugs. What this means is you are basically screwed, if you were looking for something you could drop in queue and play.

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 03:21 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
You can improve immensely and it still won't help. Right now you are likely on a server where your side, is likely facing enemies in fully upgraded ships, using voice chat to coordinate vs your group of pugs. What this means is you are basically screwed, if you were looking for something you could drop in queue and play.
That's a really pessimistic attitude that's completely unrealistic.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

admpellaeon
03.23.2014 , 03:29 PM | #24
People on my server were talking about the vast gap between a green player and someone whose played since December and has a fully maxed out ship. One suggestion I liked was a shield and armor strength buff for players till they have 20 or so games in their legacy. It would prevent gunships 1 shooting someone when they are just starting out and actually allow people to learn how to fly.

Personally if I see a player really struggle in multiple games, I will whisper to offer advice or to let them know they will improve if they keep queing (please do not be a jerk and yell at the new people.). As I try to convert more and more of my guildies and friends from warzones to gsf, it has become very clear the tutorial does a very poor job explaining many aspects of the game. People are many times clueless about F1-F4 and how exactly secondary weapons and targeting works.

General_Brass
03.23.2014 , 03:30 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
That's a really pessimistic attitude that's completely unrealistic.
Right now on the server I play on I can tell you how a match is going to go 80%+ of the time before it even starts by just looking over the people in the teams. The team synergy is just that intense in this game and the difficulties in even explaining why particular objectives are important just makes it worse when teams aren't on a voice comm channel.

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 03:36 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by General_Brass View Post
Right now on the server I play on I can tell you how a match is going to go 80%+ of the time before it even starts by just looking over the people in the teams. The team synergy is just that intense in this game and the difficulties in even explaining why particular objectives are important just makes it worse when teams aren't on a voice comm channel.
That's not all servers, though, and I've seen a number of matches like that turned around because people didn't feel like losing. The other extreme is a defeatist attitude causing a loss. (Naturally, most matches are somewhere in the middle.)

General_Brass
03.23.2014 , 03:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
That's not all servers, though, and I've seen a number of matches like that turned around because people didn't feel like losing. The other extreme is a defeatist attitude causing a loss. (Naturally, most matches are somewhere in the middle.)
Well can you recommend the more balanced servers ?

Verain
03.23.2014 , 03:49 PM | #28
I'll also say that if you are bothered by losses or being blown up a lot, you could try asking good players to group, and run with them. If you are blowing up their tails, you are helping the group. This game is much better in a group.

Yndras
03.23.2014 , 04:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I'll also say that if you are bothered by losses or being blown up a lot, you could try asking good players to group, and run with them. If you are blowing up their tails, you are helping the group. This game is much better in a group.
I was almost certian your advice would be "just get a gunship lolz, ets ezay maode man!"
Layda, Sentinel - Hoarus, Scoundrel
Bandeeto, Mercenary

Devrius
03.23.2014 , 04:32 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by admpellaeon View Post
People on my server were talking about the vast gap between a green player and someone whose played since December and has a fully maxed out ship. One suggestion I liked was a shield and armor strength buff for players till they have 20 or so games in their legacy. It would prevent gunships 1 shooting someone when they are just starting out and actually allow people to learn how to fly.

Personally if I see a player really struggle in multiple games, I will whisper to offer advice or to let them know they will improve if they keep queing (please do not be a jerk and yell at the new people.). As I try to convert more and more of my guildies and friends from warzones to gsf, it has become very clear the tutorial does a very poor job explaining many aspects of the game. People are many times clueless about F1-F4 and how exactly secondary weapons and targeting works.

The biggest issue I noticed is not so much the beating I was taking, it's that basically until I had 40 something matches I didn't even have the right components (they are pretty expensive and some upgrades are so valuable you have to skip buying more components) and took a whole week to get a decent crew.

Now that I think about it maybe just make all components unlocked from the start, that way you get to play around with different builds before spending your precious first requisitions.

Right now you start ungeared, with the wrong components and the wrong crew, it's an up hill battle from the get go.