Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So, should I just keep at it or give up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
So, should I just keep at it or give up?

MaybeEvil
03.22.2014 , 07:48 PM | #11
Keep hammering out the dailies.

If you are having a rough time sometimes just getting in two matches can be a blessing instead of a curse. Coming in fresh everyday can help with the burnout and prevent "I quit" frustration from building up.

After you start putting some good matches together and feel a bit more confident then chain-queing might be something you'll want to do again in the future.
Unaligned

Devrius
03.22.2014 , 08:41 PM | #12
So I've been playing GSF since I first started this thread, I finished getting my republic crew and found out a few of the big flaws in my play style.

Turn out all I really needed was to follow a simple advice:

A good player told me to stop chasing and drag enemies back to other ships and then defend our gunships from other scouts/fighters.

I also upgraded my engines enough to get the cool down reduction, as it turns out 5 seconds *is* the difference between life and death.

I actually got the 30k damage and 4 to 1 kill ratio achievement

Pilgrim_Grey
03.23.2014 , 12:00 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Devrius View Post
So I've been playing GSF since I first started this thread, I finished getting my republic crew and found out a few of the big flaws in my play style.

Turn out all I really needed was to follow a simple advice:

A good player told me to stop chasing and drag enemies back to other ships and then defend our gunships from other scouts/fighters.

I also upgraded my engines enough to get the cool down reduction, as it turns out 5 seconds *is* the difference between life and death.

I actually got the 30k damage and 4 to 1 kill ratio achievement
Yeah, choosing a few of the better components and even investing in just the first tier or two of them makes a big difference. I have a few main pilots, but when I play other alts, just having the engine breaker CD down and costing less engine power helps a lot, as does a lower missile lock time. I actually boost those sooner than the lasers. There are some edge cases where better lasers will help you take out something, but not as much as the others. And really, I still find myself wishing for the fifth tier on all of them (even after I get through the first 3-4).

And a little experience helps a lot. Glad you stuck with it.
Ithyrn (Guardian), Malachais (Gunslinger), Ez'kiel (Commando), Ben'adar (Scoundrel)
Ithryn (Operative), Ithric (Juggernaut), Thar'kun (Pyrotech)
Shadowlands Server

wvwraith
03.23.2014 , 12:11 AM | #14
Roll with the punches. Everyone has taken a beating that has flown, I've played close to 2k gsf matches if not more and I'm still average, but I try to have fun. As long as you're having a good time, keep flying.
Sonya Ferret Jedi Sage
Pilot of the Redeemer Gunship, "The Fluffy Bunny."
Saberwing Pilot

mr_sim
03.23.2014 , 08:22 AM | #15
Last match (which we lost) I went 1/7/3 20 440 damage, which now that I think about it is way up from when I started (something like 0/6/5 2 000 damage). I think it just feels like I haven't improved because even when I play decent enough I'm still getting shot down by far superior pilots (there are quite a few I can literally never shake if they are on my six).

I think I'll just keep at it, I have read your guide over and over, pretty sure I would have given up after the second day if I hadn't looked up your builds and components.

One thing though "Retro Thrusters" is definitely not new player friendly, it's by far the worse engine to have for a new players XD

Yeah man just keep at it. I agree with the general sentiment of having 100 matches under your belt, especially these days. The few of us who who started in December were all learning together so that 100 match number is probably too high for us, but I suspect it's none too far from accurate these days.

You speak of how you feel the aces target the novices and farm them. I'm not sure this is true, however if you still believe it. Craft a strategy of making yourself a long drawn out chase, they would rather find an easier target that takes less time to kill to inflate their score. Stay low in Mesas and use the half built ships that are everywhere as a cover maze. Most players will break off rather then chase you around all day.

Retro Thrusters are an insanely powerful tool for a dog fighter, and there isn't a ship I haven't put them on given the option. Yes they do require significant situation awareness. Personally I think the best all around Engine is Korigan Turn, it's the safest to use, it has more opportunity to use then Barrel roll, and it repositions you in combat better then Barrel Roll. Barrel Roll Is the best option for players who use an Escape based play style, or feel they need a gap closer though Barrel Roll is hands down the best Missile Beak.
Striker Pilot - Jedi Covenant - Imperial Forces

<Roving Guns>

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 08:50 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by mr_sim View Post
...Barrel Roll is hands down the best Missile Beak.
That's a funny way of spelling Distortion Field. Or, if we're talking strictly about engine components, that's a funny claim to make, since each missile break (except power dive and maybe snap turn) brings its own swiss army knife to the table.

Retro is definitely my favorite, though it definitely takes practice to use. I try to avoid Kuat B and Shipyards C because they're just not conducive to successful retros. One of my favorite tactics, and one I think beginners can learn easily, is to boost forward before using retro. Once you get the hang of that, you'll naturally start thinking about where you were a second ago and what's behind you right now, which are the two keys to using retro proficiently.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Storm-Cutter
03.23.2014 , 09:01 AM | #17
Enjoy it!
-Every match has it's challenges. The fundamental thing is that it's supposed to be a team effort. Goalkeepers rarely score goals in soccer, but they're essential to a team nonetheless. - So geting more kills than deaths is a start, assist a few kills, even with a shot or two or missile away. It really isn't about chasing kills all the time. - Also hunt down ships close to death, who've blown their cooldowns tussling with your team-mates.

- In domination, try simply defending the sats, or mine-laying or peeling off defenders, or knocking off the sentry turrets. - In Death-match, try for the power-ups, defend other ships, stick close to your team-mates or harass the enemy. - every win or loss gains rep. Remember the dailies and the weeklies. Your ships will improve at a steady rate. - There are always going to be Aces, and you may never top the table, but the contribution is the key factor- and having a blast as well.

For the record, I usually only score a mid-table position, but If I help the team instead of hinder, I'm doing a good job.

- Also try an RP server, there are aces there too, but there seem to be more casual players who just like to blast around the space-ways, and aren't so bothered about being the best of the best!

Stick with it, your ships will be mastered eventually, & there's no prizes for getting there first!
-Storm Cutter.

Devrius
03.23.2014 , 09:47 AM | #18
As far as engines go I use Barrel Roll or Koiogram Turn, Barrel on the Imp side Koiogram on Pub side, to feel which is better to my play style so far they both do the job well.

Barrel I use to get back in formation in a hurry to bring anyone following me to the group and Koiogram to turn retaliate and start a turning war.

That's for my scouts, Barrel Roll on all Gunships and Strike Fighters.

Armonddd
03.23.2014 , 09:58 AM | #19
As far as engines go I use Barrel Roll or Koiogram Turn, Barrel on the Imp side Koiogram on Pub side, to feel which is better to my play style so far they both do the job well.

Barrel I use to get back in formation in a hurry to bring anyone following me to the group and Koiogram to turn retaliate and start a turning war.

That's for my scouts, Barrel Roll on all Gunships and Strike Fighters.
That's a good plan, but I would really really recommend putting retro on someone just so you can get a feel for it. I feel like it combines well with clusters, though it can also do good stuff with concs.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Devrius
03.23.2014 , 10:05 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
That's a good plan, but I would really really recommend putting retro on someone just so you can get a feel for it. I feel like it combines well with clusters, though it can also do good stuff with concs.
Oh I have it on a couple scouts, the problem is that my situational awareness is not up to spec, meaning I often end up with someone on my six and Retro doesn't help me out much then.