Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frequently Asked PvP Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Frequently Asked PvP Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Blitz-wing
03.20.2014 , 09:51 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, and one we put a lot of thought into when the decision made to keep Bolster in Ranked PvP. As many of you likely know, in the past we had an entry level set of PvP gear called the Recruit set. Wearing this set into a Warzone would put you at an “entry level” for PvP. However, having Recruit gear in the game created two important factors:

1. The player needed to know that this is how PvP at max level worked.
2. The player needed to then get the gear and actually equip it.

Although this may seem like something which is obvious to many of you who are more seasoned and hardcore PvPers, these factors being missed led to many players first experience being that they got completely stomped in PvP. Although we understand that there are certainly “dues to be paid” when you play PvP, they shouldn’t come right at the beginning of someone’s PvP career. We also want the Ranked population to be as high as possible within the Level 55 bracket so we have Bolster in place so more players can participate in the system.

The best solution for this situation was a systematic approach which puts all players on an even footing when they enter the system. We know that some feel the best solution is to simply make everyone have the same gear and stats when in PvP so that it is purely a measure skill and skill alone. However, we feel that as an MMO, gear progression is a major cornerstone of its long term gameplay. We feel that Bolster takes both of those ideas into account and lands as a nice middle ground.

It is very unfortunate that Bolster has experienced issues since its implementation which certainly created pain points for our PvP community. However we will continue to work to ensure that Bolster is working as intended! I think we can all agree that having the first time you PvP be a positive experience will go to great lengths to ensuring that those folks stick around and continue to PvP!

-eric

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Stupid Answer!

"Your new to 55 PvP, played Ranked with no PvP gear. Help your team lose, stop those on your faction getting a higher Ranking. Stop PvP'ers from queing because you are nothing more then a handicap."

Longer wait time vs Bolstered team member

LONGER WAIT TIME!

Bolstered team member vs Don't Que

DON'T QUE!

MidichIorian
03.20.2014 , 09:51 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulliam View Post
Will you ever fix Juggernaut/Guardian leap/intercede? These have been broken since like 1.2ish or somewhere thereabouts.. it's VERY frustrating to not be able to rely on a key ability especially in Hutt Ball matches where I lose at least 1 point per game due to a leap/intercede only going half way to the target.
It's not that fun to be on the other end of it either and rubber banding all over the map.

Nothematic
03.20.2014 , 10:03 AM | #23
You said in that FAQ that cross-server queues are not on your roadmap. That's fine and dandy, but is there any chance of us getting a reason a why? A lot of answers in that FAQ were 'no' because of limited server populations. It seems obvious to me that cross server queuing (for PvP and PvE) would solve many of the issues.

I understand it's expensive and difficult and yada yada yada, but if it is please just say that instead of just saying no to an obviously sensible fix.
Coastas - 60 Marauder | Enaico - 60 Sorcerer | Enairo - 60 Operative | Zabric - 32 Mercenary
[TOMB OF FREEDOM NADD]

cycao
03.20.2014 , 10:07 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Nothematic View Post
You said in that FAQ that cross-server queues are not on your roadmap. That's fine and dandy, but is there any chance of us getting a reason a why? A lot of answers in that FAQ were 'no' because of limited server populations. It seems obvious to me that cross server queuing (for PvP and PvE) would solve many of the issues.

I understand it's expensive and difficult and yada yada yada, but if it is please just say that instead of just saying no to an obviously sensible fix.
They said a while back that it would be a serious commitment to resources IE time and money which don't go to well with PvP these days and factor in the engine it has been known for a while that it's a feature that will never happen.

mclammitys
03.20.2014 , 10:11 AM | #25
Well..

Time to abandon sinking ship looks like

If there ever was a post or time to make you fell like it i think this just did it =)
Fluffy The Drunk Assas.... Shadow =)
Guild: Harbinger
Role: GM
Raiting: +3,9K My Stream

AlixMV
03.20.2014 , 10:13 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AdamLKvist View Post
One needs active participation and a huge playerbase the other is a customizable gimmick...
But a customizable gimmick a large portion of the playerbase has asked for since the game dropped.

Your response seems to discount and dismiss the complexity of the coding likely involved with implementing the strongholds system into the existing game--which might be equivalent to the level of coding for your desired feature.

"The resources we can devote to a minority of players isn't great, but I imagine to those players it's quite worth it... and I would hope that some folks could be sensitive enough to be happy for those players, at the very least out of the selfish notion that they may one day end up in the minority of some content issue and receive the same consideration if nothing else." -- David Gaider, Bioware
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee

TonyDragonflame
03.20.2014 , 10:18 AM | #27
Only one thing can save pvp in this game - its ranked solo and 8-man team Huttball League.

But since you have not plans for it, nothing cannot save pvp future. RIP...

Blikki
03.20.2014 , 10:19 AM | #28
nice..
Tàcò

Tàco

QQ

Capt_Beers
03.20.2014 , 10:20 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Only one thing can save pvp in this game - its ranked solo and 8-man team Huttball League.

But since you have not plans for it, nothing cannot save pvp future. RIP...
One thing can save PvP - names 2 things.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics

Carter_Mathis
03.20.2014 , 10:20 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
I think you missed a question Eric. Otherwise, I think you've pretty much given a response to most of the questions you will see during the stream. Well, the ones you would actually provide responses to

Do you have any plans to keep premades and PUGs separate in warzones?

No. As an MMO, we encourage players to have friends and enjoy the game together.
Even the dev team doesn't stick their dick in crazy, I'm pretty sure they'll just leave that as their implicit (obvious) opinion