Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frequently Asked PvP Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Frequently Asked PvP Questions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Aehgo
03.20.2014 , 09:30 AM | #11
I kinda wish I hadn't looked at this thread .
-The reason bolster remains is ranked is just ridiculous.If somebody is starting the game and hasn't got a clue on gearing,NOBODY wants them in ranked arenas,its just handicapping their team.
-No plans to bring back 8v8 ranked,which was the best pvp in this game imo,arenas are fun but get boring
-No plans for crosserver queueing=group arenas will die out in season 2,atm on tofn(The main pvp server eu) on a good night there are a max of 5-6 teams queueing.On a good night.Nobody wants to face the same players everybody especially if there is a big skill difference between teams.
This is very...disheartening.Sad times for pvp are a'comin!
Jenkyns The Vanguard
Free Character transfer >> http://www.swtor.com/r/mmHPGX

TOFN

kvandertulip
03.20.2014 , 09:32 AM | #12
Since almost all of your matchmaking problems stem from low population in the queues, the smart thing to do would be to start planning for cross server queues. If that is something that is not possible due to technical limitations, you should just say that. Otherwise these questions and problems will persist.
Wiseposterior - Sharpshooter Gunslinger
Likewise - Dirty Fighting Scoundrel
<The Cleverlynamed Legacy>

Capt_Beers
03.20.2014 , 09:32 AM | #13
Nice to see some attention for PvP but as others have pointed it's a lot of no's and not really too much to look forward too. Could we maybe see a follow up post with some good news? Is there anything in the works for PvP? A lot of us in the PvP community are grasping at straws here, Eric. A friend of mine recently quit because he saw no reason in progressing in this game anymore, I have to say I can't blame him.

There is no rewards for WZ's outside of gear and a random smattering of a few mounts and a pet or two. There is no PvP rep system, no rivalry system, the ranked rewards to put bluntly are a joke outside of the Rancor (a gear set that can be replicated with the existing gear and a pink/purple dye pack is not a unique reward). I still have a lot of fun PvPing in this game but it does sort of feel like there isn't much to look forward too. I enjoy the world PvP in the events but the "PvP" quests in the Gree event are PvE quests in a PvP area.

I guess to sum it up, at least in my opinion, as a member of the PvP community I don't feel like there is much in the way of dev attention being spent on PvP. We get a few posts every now and then and have almost no unique aspects of them game tied to PvP. Anything a PvP player can get a PvE player can get and then some.

EDIT: Also please sticky this post Eric so it can stay here and not get swept away by nerf posts and then I have to dig it up when all the arm chair developers come out and say how easy it would be to implement cross server. Really the only good thing to come out of this is now I have somewhere to point to when tell people to stop crying about X-server.
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

aeterno
03.20.2014 , 09:37 AM | #14
Not exactly the answers I was hoping for but thanks for them anyways.

Added question:

With objective based open world pvp out in the cold, are there any plans to add instanced pvp scenarios larger than 8v8 warzones? I'm thinking WoW battlegrounds type things, not necessarily as large in scale or numbers but larger and less cookie cutter than what we currently have.

NRN_Hawk
03.20.2014 , 09:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Will we ever be able to choose a specific Warzone to queue for?

From the design side, we do like the idea of allowing our players to be able to impact which Warzone they want to queue for, but it is not as simple as letting everyone select which Warzone they want and call it a day. Because of a few reasons (queue population, preventing ‘de facto’ best Warzone, making sure all Warzones are being played, etc.) it would require a fully-fledged design around that new queuing system in order to make sure the system was sustainable (in queue times, etc.). There are no current plans for the near future to implement this feature.
Thanks for finally admitting that the population for pvpers is as good as dead.

Quote:
Have you considered implementing a Huttball League?

We have certainly seen a lot of suggestions around the creation of a Huttball League for sure! Implementing a Huttball League has a special place on our Wall of Crazy but it is not in our current roadmap.
Sigh ok, I can unsub with *put different pvp focused mmo here* release then.

Quote:
Why is Bolster in Ranked PvP? Why not just require a high level of PvP gear?

This is a great question, and one we put a lot of thought into when the decision made to keep Bolster in Ranked PvP. As many of you likely know, in the past we had an entry level set of PvP gear called the Recruit set. Wearing this set into a Warzone would put you at an “entry level” for PvP. However, having Recruit gear in the game created two important factors:

1. The player needed to know that this is how PvP at max level worked.
2. The player needed to then get the gear and actually equip it.
Equip PVP gear? Wouldn't have guessed... troll aside I think the tutorials are great and there can be practice brackets or a tutorial like in GSF right?

Quote:
Will you be implementing Cross-server queuing?

We have no plans at this time to implement cross-server queues.
That's about the point where I have stopped reading, thanks for the FAQ, I know what I can expect for my Sub now, nothing PVP, dead rankeds... very disappointing.
Hawk's Twitch

Streaming PVP in crossdress mode - You can hate, but you too will be hawked \m/

Subbed since wave 2 early access, back when Valor still mattered on Ilum.

~ Pot5 - http://www.helguild.com ~

Capt_Beers
03.20.2014 , 09:41 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
Not exactly the answers I was hoping for but thanks for them anyways.

Added question:

With objective based open world pvp out in the cold, are there any plans to add instanced pvp scenarios larger than 8v8 warzones? I'm thinking WoW battlegrounds type things, not necessarily as large in scale or numbers but larger and less cookie cutter than what we currently have.
What do you mean by less cookie cutter?
<HVND> - Harbinger - <HVND>
Keith-Stone 55 Combat Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Pyrotech

ayobreezie
03.20.2014 , 09:42 AM | #17
Lmao. Good deal. Thanks for letting everyone know that they need to find a new game if they want to pvp. Finally, real answers.
Pull up to the scene with my saber missin'! Middle finger up to my competition!

aeterno
03.20.2014 , 09:45 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
What do you mean by less cookie cutter?
Scenarios more elaborate than Civil War in 3 different flavors.

MidichIorian
03.20.2014 , 09:45 AM | #19
Here's a question:

*A ot of people, myself included, cannot stand Arena in any shape or form yet we're forced to put up with it in the normal queue. For me personally it has reached the point where I hardly ever queue anymore. I subbed back when Arena didnt exist and I can assure you that I wouldnt have stuck around if Arena had been forced upon me since launch. Are you ever going to separate Arena from 8 vs 8 in the normal queue or give us the option to only queue for one, the other or both, similar to how we can pick FP'es in GF? And wouldnt it encourage people to actually queue for ranked if it was the only place where they could play it? This is for 55 specifically, I think they should be kept mixed in lowbie so that people get to play it before they queue ranked.

Ulliam
03.20.2014 , 09:47 AM | #20
Will you ever fix Juggernaut/Guardian leap/intercede? These have been broken since like 1.2ish or somewhere thereabouts.. it's VERY frustrating to not be able to rely on a key ability especially in Hutt Ball matches where I lose at least 1 point per game due to a leap/intercede only going half way to the target.

Ulliam - Juggernaut | Ferratus - Guardian
-= Stormforged Legacy of The Ebon Hawk =-