Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Slicing] Price of Thermal Regulators

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
[Slicing] Price of Thermal Regulators

georgemattson
03.26.2014 , 02:10 PM | #21
I've noticed the yo-yo thing pretty much every time I've bought/sold on the GTN on Pot5 (which admittedly isn't too terribly often). TRs will sell for as low at 15k at times, as high as 25k at others. Augments have sold anywhere between 50k and 125k, with a "typical" range between about 78k and 125k. There have been a few times when I've made a pretty healthy profit buying when things were ridiculously low and then waiting, but I'm usually nowhere near to being sufficiently motivated to actually watch the GTN and stick with it.

It does occur to me, though, that someone could likely make millions of credits relatively easily just by buying and selling TRs and augments, if they weren't bored to death first.
Cancelled subscription again. Heading back to Star Wars Galaxies on Bloodfin. Send me an email if you're interested in learning about it (or Google Bloodfin).

MaximilianPower
03.26.2014 , 03:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
I've noticed the yo-yo thing pretty much every time I've bought/sold on the GTN on Pot5 (which admittedly isn't too terribly often). TRs will sell for as low at 15k at times, as high as 25k at others. Augments have sold anywhere between 50k and 125k, with a "typical" range between about 78k and 125k. There have been a few times when I've made a pretty healthy profit buying when things were ridiculously low and then waiting, but I'm usually nowhere near to being sufficiently motivated to actually watch the GTN and stick with it.

It does occur to me, though, that someone could likely make millions of credits relatively easily just by buying and selling TRs and augments, if they weren't bored to death first.
The bolded fairly describes what I've been doing and how I feel about it. You are correct, it can be tedious and boring, between gathering TRs (waiting for slicing crits and constantly checking the GTN for underpriced TRs), crafting augs, and watching the TR/aug markets to figure out what to sell and when. That said, like you, I don't have the patience to watch the entire GTN for low-priced items to sell at good profits. There is simply too much to keep track of just to figure out what's going to be profitable. By focusing on TRs and augs, I can get a pretty good handle on one small part of the market. And ultimately, it is very profitable, even when prices dip as we've seen lately.

I figure that making credits will ultimately require a commitment of some kind, and I feel like this is about as much as I'm willing to deal with. It's become habit at this point...log in, run slicing missions, check GTN, switch alts, queue crafting, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't describe it as a lot of fun, but it's effective, and ultimately not all that time-consuming.
Hey, Barsen'thor Bill
What did you kill
Barsen'thor Bill

Zuckerkorn Spiderzuck Bøbløblaw EddieBrøck TøbiasFünke MaximilianPower
Jedi Covenant

100% GSF cheevs

Darth_Wicked
03.27.2014 , 07:33 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximilianPower View Post
The bolded fairly describes what I've been doing and how I feel about it. You are correct, it can be tedious and boring, between gathering TRs (waiting for slicing crits and constantly checking the GTN for underpriced TRs), crafting augs, and watching the TR/aug markets to figure out what to sell and when. That said, like you, I don't have the patience to watch the entire GTN for low-priced items to sell at good profits. There is simply too much to keep track of just to figure out what's going to be profitable. By focusing on TRs and augs, I can get a pretty good handle on one small part of the market. And ultimately, it is very profitable, even when prices dip as we've seen lately.

I figure that making credits will ultimately require a commitment of some kind, and I feel like this is about as much as I'm willing to deal with. It's become habit at this point... log in, run slicing missions, check GTN, switch alts, queue crafting, rinse, repeat. I wouldn't describe it as a lot of fun, but it's effective, and ultimately not all that time-consuming.
I do agree to this.

Before 2.0 hit, I used to craft and sell Augmentation MK-6 kits fairly often and it was a profitable endeavour, even if a time consuming once, since I had - back then - four characters running missions and two of them crafting. Plus, one only need two mats of each kind to craft the armor pieces, reverse engineer them and that was it.

Came 2.0 and now one of them requires four mats instead of two, which is double. Increase in time gathering mats and increase in time switching back and forth. Increase in profit margin though, seeing that MK-9 seem to be far more expensive than MK-6 were at their prime? Possibly.

Regardless, I can't be bothered. Was selling three weeks ago or so four thermal regulators for 84k and nowadays, I see people undercutting completely senseless... It's their call, their credits and it's great that people who need the augs get out winning but as far as I'm concerned, it's not worth the hassle for now.

Here's hoping it stabilizes but like I mentioned earlier, not seeing it right now.

iDraxter
03.27.2014 , 08:33 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
I see people undercutting completely senseless... It's their call, their credits
Ha I really love ppl undercutting me with 10k+ I`m like are ppl that stupid? i never undercutted any1 for more then 1 credit less
Firebat: Need a light?
It`s your money-but if I have spent as much time killing Jedi instead of your own kind...you might be winning this war

DawnAskham
03.27.2014 , 03:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by iDraxter View Post
Ha I really love ppl undercutting me with 10k+ I`m like are ppl that stupid? i never undercutted any1 for more then 1 credit less
People are that stupid.

Average price for MK-9 over past month, for a single, has been around 65K. Stacks of 10, 14 and sometimes larger are usually up for several K less on a per item basis.

This morning the multi-stacks were hovering around 62K, with one stack of 50 sitting at 60k. Lowest price for a single was 66K, with only a page of supply before the price was close to 70K.

Some genius posted up three pages of singles for 58K each. I posted up 20 at 69,999. An hour later his and mine were gone, and the average price was hovering around 66K for singles.

I figure if someone forgoes hundreds of thousands in potential revenue for just pricing dumb, they are just paying a tax on stupid.

And the augment market is my bane these days. They aren't selling in high quantities, are fiercely undercut all day, and have huge swings in average price and / or price for similar augments.

This past week I watched Absorb augments go from 95K to 75K, Might from 78K to 93K to 85K, and Redoubt go from 88K to 110K to 92K.

If one is willing to bank a decent amount of augments in every stat and constantly check the GTN, list, and relist, one can make good money.

But other than trying to unload the stocks I have, I'm pretty much moved to just being lazy and selling the Therm Reg and not bothering with all the constant re-posting and undercutting.

Grayseven
03.28.2014 , 10:37 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
People are that stupid.

Average price for MK-9 over past month, for a single, has been around 65K. Stacks of 10, 14 and sometimes larger are usually up for several K less on a per item basis.

This morning the multi-stacks were hovering around 62K, with one stack of 50 sitting at 60k. Lowest price for a single was 66K, with only a page of supply before the price was close to 70K.

Some genius posted up three pages of singles for 58K each. I posted up 20 at 69,999. An hour later his and mine were gone, and the average price was hovering around 66K for singles.

I figure if someone forgoes hundreds of thousands in potential revenue for just pricing dumb, they are just paying a tax on stupid.

And the augment market is my bane these days. They aren't selling in high quantities, are fiercely undercut all day, and have huge swings in average price and / or price for similar augments.

This past week I watched Absorb augments go from 95K to 75K, Might from 78K to 93K to 85K, and Redoubt go from 88K to 110K to 92K.

If one is willing to bank a decent amount of augments in every stat and constantly check the GTN, list, and relist, one can make good money.

But other than trying to unload the stocks I have, I'm pretty much moved to just being lazy and selling the Therm Reg and not bothering with all the constant re-posting and undercutting.
I moved out of the Augment market due to the under cutting. Ditto the Mk-9 kit and Thermal Regulator markets. There are simply too many other opportunities opening up daily to stay in a saturated market.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

DanielCs
05.28.2014 , 05:51 PM | #27
I used to make a nice profit just by slicing/crafting augments. Undercutting (and by that I mean the senseless kind) made me stop doing it altogether. Just now the price of resolve 28s were around 95k, plus some *genius* put some up for 80k - which I bought as an effort to stabilize price range, only to have the same guy saturate the market with his retarded undercuts all over again and other *geniuses* undercutting those further. I will never understand them.

psandak
05.29.2014 , 12:18 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by DanielCs View Post
I used to make a nice profit just by slicing/crafting augments. Undercutting (and by that I mean the senseless kind) made me stop doing it altogether. Just now the price of resolve 28s were around 95k, plus some *genius* put some up for 80k - which I bought as an effort to stabilize price range, only to have the same guy saturate the market with his retarded undercuts all over again and other *geniuses* undercutting those further. I will never understand them.
Funny thing is 80k on my sever is actually pretty good

When this happens, and it always does, I simply have a bargain basement price that I will post at. If the current value is lower, I will still post at that bargain basement and wait out the rebound because value always rebounds.

I have a similar competitor in the mods markets. Every so often this person will post mods at prices at cost. I buy them up and repost them at normal prices; I treat that competitor as my "wholesaler". Every now and then he/she floods the market and some undercut him/her more (you're right...idiots). At that point I just wait it out.

Patience and diversity.

Grayseven
05.30.2014 , 10:22 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
Funny thing is 80k on my sever is actually pretty good

When this happens, and it always does, I simply have a bargain basement price that I will post at. If the current value is lower, I will still post at that bargain basement and wait out the rebound because value always rebounds.

I have a similar competitor in the mods markets. Every so often this person will post mods at prices at cost. I buy them up and repost them at normal prices; I treat that competitor as my "wholesaler". Every now and then he/she floods the market and some undercut him/her more (you're right...idiots). At that point I just wait it out.

Patience and diversity.
I follow this same pattern. I have multiple markets I concentrate on and have "absolute minimums" that I will post at. Surprisingly, I will still get my minimum price over a 48 listing period as the lower priced items get snatched up (and often resold).

I will only leave a market, albeit temporarily, when a glut of undercut items are listed (call it 3 or 4 pages). I'll keep an eye on the market and start listing again only if the market doesn't continue its downward spiral due to undercutting.

My "absolute minimum" prices take into account the item costs and a small but still worthwhile profit margin. If I'm not going to make decent money on the item it gets warehoused until prices come back up.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.