Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

ESO Review... not looking good.

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

rynlath
03.18.2014 , 09:26 PM | #21
ESO has some nice things going for it, like regular ES games you have more options on how your ch. lvls The biggest plus to ESO is the environment, it is by far superior (i.m.p.) to Old Republic ESO having night and day weather etc. Another cool thing is that they have a way to have pvp battles actually matter and influence the game by being able to become emperor of the lands. This last bit would be something really nice for Old Republic cause there really isn't any advancing of the factions (Republic vs Imperials) no lands that can be conquered, special resources again, nothing. Unless we wait a year or so for the developers to maybe come up with something for a story. 2.5 years and Old Republic moves at a snails pace if that for any major content.

Infernixx
03.18.2014 , 09:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by rynlath View Post
ESO has some nice things going for it, like regular ES games you have more options on how your ch. lvls The biggest plus to ESO is the environment, it is by far superior (i.m.p.) to Old Republic ESO having night and day weather etc. Another cool thing is that they have a way to have pvp battles actually matter and influence the game by being able to become emperor of the lands. This last bit would be something really nice for Old Republic cause there really isn't any advancing of the factions (Republic vs Imperials) no lands that can be conquered, special resources again, nothing. Unless we wait a year or so for the developers to maybe come up with something for a story. 2.5 years and Old Republic moves at a snails pace if that for any major content.
Sorry, all I heard was 'lol pvp.'
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Infernixx nailed it. This is correct.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
There is no excuse for any single use item to ever cost more than a month's subscription. Anyone who pays $10 or $20 for a single use item is hastening the death of TOR and feeding the rise of TOR:The Cash Shop Menace.

kirorx
03.18.2014 , 09:37 PM | #23
People are going to like what they like, reviews are for idiots that can't make their own decisions

I enjoy plenty of movies that may have had poor reviews because I like stuff that I like and not what someone else thinks I like, the reviews for avatar were awesome but I hated that movie because I had already seen fern gully, now human centipede, that's a movie

Sobur
03.18.2014 , 10:10 PM | #24
I played the beta and i also found it boring. Animations are stiff and the combat system is lacking. Anyways it brings nothing new to the mmo market , so i don't understand why their is any hype at all.

SammuelSK
03.18.2014 , 10:21 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Infernixx View Post
Well, there 'is' a mention in the review about the lack of commitment to TOR-level Storytelling in TESO. And no lightsabers, either.
TOR doesn't even have TOR-level storytelling anymore. That stuff exists purely in the launch content at this point.
Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
We have very measurable statistics that tell us if people lose a certain number of Warzones in a row being stun locked by a team of Operatives, then that might be part of that, and they will be not as likely to re-subscribe.

MillionsKNives
03.18.2014 , 10:26 PM | #26
This review reads like the author didn't realize that ESO is an MMO and not a single player TES game. For a "review' he talks very little about what the game actually is, and instead chooses to spend the entire article talking about what he wanted it to be.

I'll be picking it up to play between SWTOR and other things. I certainly don't expect it to be the end-all-be-all of MMOs, but it's fun for what it is. Even as someone who doesn't get into PVP all that much, Cyrodiil looks pretty fun.

GalacticKegger
03.18.2014 , 11:01 PM | #27
It's probably looking good for ES fans which will likely be enough to carry it. I was in on 6 beta weekends beginning last August, and for me it plays and feels too much like a console port. Both turn R/L & targeting are tied to mouselook much like Galactic Starfighter (because of gamepad ministick mapping as it is slated for PS4 and Xbox One releases), and are not changeable.

One can't click quickbar ability icons during combat in ESO just like one can't click quickbar ability icons during combat in GSF. ESO and GSF play essentially the same way. So I anticipate that traditional "clickers" might have a problem not being able to access everything their character can do in one glance with a single mouse click.

But they did have numerous calls for LUA developers and testers. So addon and macro-automation fans may get their wish.

Most important to that game imho (or any new MMO for that matter) is end game. If there were definitive announcements for an end game outside of the Cyrodill and PvP I tested, I didn't hear about them. I played in a "group dungeon" at level 9 ... wasn't that bad really. So the core mechanics for raid instances and the like are there. Both WoW and TOR launched with 16 dungeons/flashpoints and end game raids/ops. They talked about ESO opening with 6 multiplayer dungeons, but having not seen anything past level 20 makes it a wait and see thing for me.

I was hoping ESO would replace LOTRO as my fantasy sword & board fix, and pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition for the PC from Gamestop the day they became available. But unless some significant changes are made by launch - like allowing turn L&R to be mapped to the keyboard, leaving mouselook for PoV/camera swing - I'll probably prospect it on EBay.

My disappointment does not mean that the game is bad. In its current and planned state (via forum posts from the devs), it's just not what I'm looking for. I'm not writing it off though and will go back periodically to check it out.

Mike_Bluesky
03.19.2014 , 12:49 AM | #28
ESO is for Elder Scrolls fans and SWTOR is for Star Wars fans. That's it, both games have pretty big issues and are lacking in a few departments but fans of these universes will be playing them. Question is will ESO be F2P in a year.
I don't have friends but I really want those pets -> referral link (you get free stuff too!)

illgot
03.19.2014 , 01:01 AM | #29
ESO has some interesting features.

Graphic wise buildings, trees, and large mushrooms stop rain which is unheard of in games these days. The environmentals in ESO are awesome.

The lack of an auction house will be interesting, not so much convenience, I am curious how that will work out in a game of this generation.

A few nice features but I could not get drawn into it. Just not my style of MMO.

archifikoss
03.19.2014 , 01:10 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I was hoping ESO would replace LOTRO as my fantasy sword & board fix, and pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls Online Imperial Edition for the PC from Gamestop the day they became available. But unless some significant changes are made by launch - like allowing turn L&R to be mapped to the keyboard, leaving mouselook for PoV/camera swing - I'll probably prospect it on EBay.
Funny, because the camera being tied to mouse look is a selling point for me. I feel more connected to my character with a system like TESO where you don't have to hold a mouse button to turn. Different strokes and all that

My problem with the combat system is not the concept (which is more to my taste than "traditional" MMO combat, again because WoW-like combat makes me feel disconnected from my character), but the execution. The less than stellar animations are partly responsible, and there is a lack of weight and smoothness to it. I like how it works, with no autoattack, active dodging and blocking, power attacks plus a small hotbar of easily accessible abilities - but it feels unpolished and undercooked. And I doubt this is something that will change the further I get into the game.

I do like the potential for solo "end game" though with the other two continents opening up in "veteran mode" or whatever, and the fact that we can still "level" our characters past level cap. I can't stand traditional MMO end-game with its focus shifting directly to gear (so effectively all character progression stops) and all the good stuff exclusively needing a group. What we know of for ESO is far more to my liking. Though I do hope there is enough good small and large group content for people who love to group.

As for the game going f2p - I am 100% sure it will happen, and as I've said before I wouldn't be surprised if it were the plan from the start. Make a quick buck with box sales and subs, then jump on the f2p bandwagon. I'm not saying it is like that, it's just a suspicion of mine.