Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Profitability & You!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Profitability & You!

LotsoBear
12.23.2011 , 07:31 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Epocha View Post
What people need to keep in mind is this - the current crew skills are balanced for the game once it is no longer new. The fact is that the game just came out a few days ago and the markets are just starting to get going. So if you're complaining that Slicing gives an unfair advantage over non-Slicers, then pick up Slicing. Truly the only people who can buy anything on the market are Slicers at the moment, and in order for the Market to get going it needs Slicers to spend money. If no one had money to spend, no one would buy anything, markets would stagnate and everyone is left wealthless.

So let us think. Who buys your extra materials? Slicers. Who buys your blue and purple crafted gear? Slicers. They are necessary for the game and market to progress, but right now because we are at the very beginning we see a huge income disparity between Slicers and non-Slicers. This will even out over time, but yes it is true for the next month or two Slicers will have an advantage for cash flow over non-Slicers.

My advice: if you want "fast cash", drop your UT, Diplo, Investigation, whatever, and pick up Slicing. Keep your main crafting skill and the associated gathering skill. It is easy to level up your crafting although - YOU WILL NEVER MAKE BLUE/PURPLE ITEMS - unless you buy the materials from the GTN or have very generous friends/guildies. Once your main crafting skill is maxed, drop Slicing and pick up your related mission skill and power level it with your crew.

This coming from a person who was originally going to stick to principle and not pick up Slicing, but now that I'm sitting with 120k+ at level 21 I am in no way looking back. I've already spent 30k upgrading equipment, and I usually upgrade again every few levels. I don't NEED to, since everyone can get by on quested/dropped gear, but I enjoy buying other peoples' goods and spreading the wealth, as I'm sure many other Slicers do as well.
THIS. seriously instead of just complaining about it pick it up for yourself. make the money that you're seeing everyone else make with this skill. once you hit 50 and you're maxed out in just about everything you'll have enough gold to power level whatever profession you want. it's not broken when people just choose not use it to their advantage.

Psykhe
12.23.2011 , 07:42 AM | #22
Keep your main crafting skill and the associated gathering skill. It is easy to level up your crafting although - YOU WILL NEVER MAKE BLUE/PURPLE ITEMS - unless you buy the materials from the GTN or have very generous friends/guildies.
Or just play three hours with an alt till he gets his first companion and level up your needed mission skill on him. There is no level requirement on them, so he can get it to 400 easily if you feed him money.

Jilla
12.23.2011 , 08:01 AM | #23
I am just not seeing the profits--in fact since some missions failed, I lost money. Like others, I lose money sometimes on the lockboxes (or net just a few credits after considering the credits I spent on a mission). I switched back to diplomacy (to go with bio chem and bio analysis) and just kill extra mobs and I seem to be making about $3000-$5000 credits a night. Was I doing something wrong or was it just my level (I am only level 15 now).
-You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought. - Princess Leia

Epocha
12.23.2011 , 08:21 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Jilla View Post
Was I doing something wrong or was it just my level (I am only level 15 now).
Likely you were doing it wrong. I'm not going to give the step-by-step guide on how to do it, but you should be able to figure it out from this hint: going after the newest missions is going to lose you money.

Ohoni
12.23.2011 , 09:22 AM | #25
Quote:
Last night yes, I'm talking about today. I have been losing money all morning by doing mission...
This morning in about two hours I made about 20K more, give or take, plus a bunch of sellable crew missions that I haven't had a chance to put on the GTN yet. I'm upt to 170K now.

Jilla
12.23.2011 , 09:36 AM | #26
Likely you were doing it wrong. I'm not going to give the step-by-step guide on how to do it, but you should be able to figure it out from this hint: going after the newest missions is going to lose you money.
Ahhh... see all the missions are new to me It sounds like if I stick with it, I would improve.

I might just leave the slicing to others, I think I will gamble on sticking with the path I am taking now. I seem to be making enough money that I don't feel "short of credits" (although that might change when I want a speeder, lol). And maybe all the rich slicers will buy my med packs and such later on. If not, oh well, I took a gamble and lost.

Thanks for the tip!
-You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought. - Princess Leia

Tirshatha
12.23.2011 , 09:59 AM | #27
Quote:
Did they change slicing?
In the last 24 hours I stopped making credits and dont get missions and Cybertech schemes anymore. And i cant seem to find any info regarding a nerf.

Also thanks for a great post.
I was doing it last night and I was getting tons of schematics and missions of all times. I think this is a case of random numbers are random.

But I did notice that onyxia was doing deep breath more.

And J-boots got nerfed.

Tirshatha
12.23.2011 , 10:02 AM | #28
Quote:
Ahhh... see all the missions are new to me It sounds like if I stick with it, I would improve.

I might just leave the slicing to others, I think I will gamble on sticking with the path I am taking now. I seem to be making enough money that I don't feel "short of credits" (although that might change when I want a speeder, lol). And maybe all the rich slicers will buy my med packs and such later on. If not, oh well, I took a gamble and lost.

Thanks for the tip!
That'll change when you start seeing the price of new skills as you level up. If you want my advice, go back to slicing ans stick with it till 50. Then get into a profession.

pdxmarcos
12.23.2011 , 11:16 AM | #29
First off, I'm glad to see that so many people are looking at the data, but there are a few of you that are misinterpreting the data so I'll try my best to add some clarity.

Companions Companions do receive time discounts on all missions. The break points were determined by measuring various data points as leveling companion affection. The listed time to complete a mission is static on each mission and does not change, but when you send out your companion the time until they return fluctuates based upon their affection level. We measured the time required to send them out on missions compared to what the listed time and Malthrin was able to determine the formula for the break points in time discounts.

Mission failure Including mission failures was something I initially considered, but decided to exclude them in the end. My justification for doing so is because they are avoidable once you level past their failure level. The UI is not very effective at the moment at conveying that you may see a mission failure if you send your companion out on a Orange, but the mission will not fail if it is listed in yellow (not 100% sure here), green, or grey.

Nerfs We are not seeing any demonstrable nerfs to slicing profitability. What you need to keep in mind is that the range on the credits received is pretty big, but in the long run the average profitability is pretty strong for the missions at the bottom of the list and we have strong data set to show that they are consistently profitable. Regardless, we will continue to monitor the profitability of slicing to see if we observe any nerfs.

Should it be nerfed? - Ultimately the scope of this spreadsheet was to assume that you were max slicing and how to maximize the profitability on your slicing missions with regard to gaining credit boxes. In the long run though, the augments are going to be the real cash cow of slicing. Once people are at max level and want to improve their gear with augments, slicing will play a big role in allowing people to do that and that is where the profitability will come from. Credit boxes are the easy way to inject credits into a brand new game without devaluing the currency completely. The problem is that the perception that 100,000 credits is a lot of currency, but it isnt. Think of it like a penny. 100,000 pennies is worth $1,000 and while it may seem like a lot of money, its not going to let you retire.

I imagine that as we move forward in the game, people are going to realize that the perceived value of credits is overestimated.

pdxmarcos
12.23.2011 , 12:20 PM | #30
As a side note, if you want to help contribute data going forward, then send me a PM me and we can discuss how to go about doing so.