Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Profitability & You!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Profitability & You!

Ohoni
12.23.2011 , 06:15 AM | #11
Quote:
Same here, only small cash...
I made about 20K in an hour or so last night on a level 26 character, so if they modified it, they didn't do so by enough.

Rheingold
12.23.2011 , 06:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
I made about 20K in an hour or so last night on a level 26 character, so if they modified it, they didn't do so by enough.

Last night yes, I'm talking about today. I have been losing money all morning by doing mission...

Epocha
12.23.2011 , 06:39 AM | #13
What people need to keep in mind is this - the current crew skills are balanced for the game once it is no longer new. The fact is that the game just came out a few days ago and the markets are just starting to get going. So if you're complaining that Slicing gives an unfair advantage over non-Slicers, then pick up Slicing. Truly the only people who can buy anything on the market are Slicers at the moment, and in order for the Market to get going it needs Slicers to spend money. If no one had money to spend, no one would buy anything, markets would stagnate and everyone is left wealthless.

So let us think. Who buys your extra materials? Slicers. Who buys your blue and purple crafted gear? Slicers. They are necessary for the game and market to progress, but right now because we are at the very beginning we see a huge income disparity between Slicers and non-Slicers. This will even out over time, but yes it is true for the next month or two Slicers will have an advantage for cash flow over non-Slicers.

My advice: if you want "fast cash", drop your UT, Diplo, Investigation, whatever, and pick up Slicing. Keep your main crafting skill and the associated gathering skill. It is easy to level up your crafting although - YOU WILL NEVER MAKE BLUE/PURPLE ITEMS - unless you buy the materials from the GTN or have very generous friends/guildies. Once your main crafting skill is maxed, drop Slicing and pick up your related mission skill and power level it with your crew.

This coming from a person who was originally going to stick to principle and not pick up Slicing, but now that I'm sitting with 120k+ at level 21 I am in no way looking back. I've already spent 30k upgrading equipment, and I usually upgrade again every few levels. I don't NEED to, since everyone can get by on quested/dropped gear, but I enjoy buying other peoples' goods and spreading the wealth, as I'm sure many other Slicers do as well.

unclekaula
12.23.2011 , 06:47 AM | #14
Where are the ones you failed? I've been losing money on lockbox missions...

Kiarani
12.23.2011 , 06:48 AM | #15
I am doing the same. Buying gear and blue quality crafting materials from the GTN.

cobrenna
12.23.2011 , 06:49 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashy View Post
Nerf it, it's ruining the economy.... Fact is a fact.
I'm pretty sure the only thing ruining the economy right now is the horrible GTN interface.. lord almighty, I excitedly gathered archaeology materials to sell on that thing but after 2-3 days of posting auctions and searching auctions I concluded that I was not the only one who decided it might be best to avoid that place like the plague until it's changed.

ATM I love slicing basically because I don't have to touch that interface to receive credits o_0

Nocturnalis
12.23.2011 , 07:18 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Epocha View Post
What people need to keep in mind is this - the current crew skills are balanced for the game once it is no longer new. The fact is that the game just came out a few days ago and the markets are just starting to get going. So if you're complaining that Slicing gives an unfair advantage over non-Slicers, then pick up Slicing. Truly the only people who can buy anything on the market are Slicers at the moment, and in order for the Market to get going it needs Slicers to spend money. If no one had money to spend, no one would buy anything, markets would stagnate and everyone is left wealthless.

So let us think. Who buys your extra materials? Slicers. Who buys your blue and purple crafted gear? Slicers. They are necessary for the game and market to progress, but right now because we are at the very beginning we see a huge income disparity between Slicers and non-Slicers. This will even out over time, but yes it is true for the next month or two Slicers will have an advantage for cash flow over non-Slicers.

My advice: if you want "fast cash", drop your UT, Diplo, Investigation, whatever, and pick up Slicing. Keep your main crafting skill and the associated gathering skill. It is easy to level up your crafting although - YOU WILL NEVER MAKE BLUE/PURPLE ITEMS - unless you buy the materials from the GTN or have very generous friends/guildies. Once your main crafting skill is maxed, drop Slicing and pick up your related mission skill and power level it with your crew.

This coming from a person who was originally going to stick to principle and not pick up Slicing, but now that I'm sitting with 120k+ at level 21 I am in no way looking back. I've already spent 30k upgrading equipment, and I usually upgrade again every few levels. I don't NEED to, since everyone can get by on quested/dropped gear, but I enjoy buying other peoples' goods and spreading the wealth, as I'm sure many other Slicers do as well.
Pro-tip

This is exactly what I do. I buy gear from the GTN every few levels. But I do want to start my bio-chem back up again so I might have to either drop slicing or keep it and drop bio-analysis or diplomacy. I'm leaning towards keeping slicing and buying what mats I need from the GTN to get bio-chem going. Creds in and creds right back out with this setup.

Cameirus
12.23.2011 , 07:19 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashy View Post
Nerf it, it's ruining the economy.... Fact is a fact.
Actually thats speculation, you can tell as you just made it up based on no objective evidence.

Ramala
12.23.2011 , 07:23 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by unclekaula View Post
Where are the ones you failed? I've been losing money on lockbox missions...
Failure is based on your skill level vs mission skill level. I don't recall if I've failed at yellow. If you're already at slicing 400, failure is not a consideration for profitability.

SLANTEN
12.23.2011 , 07:26 AM | #20
I cant seem to find any changes. Would BW make changes without any kind of information. Because, if slicing even stops failing make a bit of credits, whats the use of it.

But i really hope that they do something about the crew skills, they seemed really sweet, but turned out to be kinda weak at the moment.

Also, fix the darned GTN. I love the game-in-the-game with buy-sell things. And this is just bad at the moment. Kinda also the reason i picked slicing.

Are BW even reading the forums, I cant see any answers from employees anywhere.