Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing Profitability & You!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing Profitability & You!

pdxmarcos
12.23.2011 , 02:28 AM | #1
Despite seeing extensive nerfs in a recent patch, slicing is still a profitable crew mission skill. The greatest benefit you gain from slicing is that here is that it is immediately profitable from the first credit box mission to the last. You realize profits as soon as you open up the credit box while other professions have to wait much longer using traditional sales methods to sell their final product (IE GTN or trade channels).

While the immediate profitability offers a strong incentive to picking up slicing, you're stuck with an absolute maximum you can make off the credit boxes exclusively. Although, critical mission successes will sometimes grant you cybertech schematics which may offer additional sources of income.

That's all well and good, but you write a lot. Get to the point!!!!! What do I need to do to generate credits?

Here's your answer: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...OaW1kYUE&gid=5

My guild members, some people from these forums, and my other friends have spent some time collecting data about how much you can make from slicing. All the data on the 'Average Credit Worksheet' and 'TLDR' represent exclusively post-nerf data. You can compare it to the 'Pre-Nerf glory days' sheet to see what make slicing awesome for the first two weeks of release, but it's meaning will continue to decline.

What missions will give me the best return on my time and credit investment?
  • The majority of the data collected is from empire missions. If you do not see that mission available or have never seen it, then you are probably Republic and have a comparable one. The results will be similar between missions of the same yield. For example, The Automated Saboteur will offer the same yield as 'Arranged Accidents'. There is not sufficient information to accurately reflect the credit gain on the Republic side missions
  • These missions will give you the "best" credit return on your time investment: Missing Probes, For Better or Worse, The Automated Saboteur, Take the Money and Run, Be Careful what you read, and Delivery Failure.
  • It is extremely important to understand that these numbers are not perfect. You may not see immediate returns, but over time these missions have shown to be consistently profitable.
  • The level 41-49 Rich missions will generally reward additional rewards that are not necessarily quantifiable in terms of this spreadsheet. Critical mission success on these missions will reward high level patterns and better credit boxes, which improve the profitability. The missions listed in green will generally only give you credit returns and have a very low probability of providing you anything other than giving you the basic credit box.
  • Companions – Companions do receive time discounts on all missions. The break points were determined by measuring various data points as leveling companion affection. The listed time to complete a mission is static on each mission and does not change, but when you send out your companion the time until they return fluctuates based upon their affection level. We measured the time required to send them out on missions compared to what the listed time and Malthrin was able to determine the formula for the break points in time discounts.
  • Mission failure – Including mission failures was something I initially considered, but decided to exclude them in the end. My justification for doing so is because they are avoidable once you level past their failure level. The UI is not very effective at the moment at conveying that you may see a mission failure if you send your companion out on a Orange, but the mission will not fail if it is listed in yellow (not 100% sure here), green, or grey.

Most importantly keep in mind that in the end, slicing is a gathering profession. You may actually find that running around Ilum or Voss will give you a better return on your time to get credits by finding boxes. If you found mining or herbing enjoyable in World of Warcraft, then this may be how you want to slicing.

Credit to my good friends in <Revenge of the Jerks> on Veela, the very intelligent Malthrin for the work on determining the formula for companion affection, and the Elitist Jerks benefactors and many more for contributing to the data on my spreadsheet.

Revision 3:18 PST - 2011/12/23: Changed URL to final google doc final output. Original URL will no longer be maintained.
Revision 3:01 PST - 2011/12/24: Added notes regarding thread discussion.
Revision 9:36 PST - 2012/01/06: Re-wrote OP to include a post-nerf guide.

Mattouf
12.23.2011 , 03:41 AM | #2
Man, thank you very very much for this !

I also did a doc recording all my earnings during my slicing leveling, but it's by far less organised than yours, not to say i miss a lot of information too !

i'm working on improving my doc in order to post it on a blog : can i please re-use the way you display your informations ?

Anyway, congratulations for this incredible work you did (and to all who helped you ^^)
Souriez, vous êtes visés !

GGTeMpLaR
12.23.2011 , 04:08 AM | #3
Companion affection does not affect the gathering skills FYI.

blackcerberus
12.23.2011 , 04:13 AM | #4
If we were to make a similar chart for all other crafting skills BUT slicing, it would only show negative numbers

BioWare, remove slicing

Vlakrar
12.23.2011 , 04:23 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by GGTeMpLaR View Post
Companion affection does not affect the gathering skills FYI.

It does effect the time it takes them to complete it
Ran'ik
55 Lightning Sorc
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)

essell
12.23.2011 , 05:04 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by blackcerberus View Post
If we were to make a similar chart for all other crafting skills BUT slicing, it would only show negative numbers

BioWare, remove slicing
Hush you.

It's the crafting skill for those who don't like the crafting system.

Mr crafting partner is making us new lightsabers and I'm funding the work with slicing profits. It's working great from where I'm sitting, we're not rich, but we can get the money for the things we want.

Bioware, leave slicing alone. It's balanced and lovely.
The Cake is a lie, there is only Cookies. Through cookies I gain mass, from mass I gain inertia, from inertia I gain force. The Force shall free me.

Darzil
12.23.2011 , 05:09 AM | #7
Do slicing missions never fail, as I note there are no zero's in your credit's recieved ?

SLANTEN
12.23.2011 , 05:33 AM | #8
Did they change slicing?
In the last 24 hours I stopped making credits and dont get missions and Cybertech schemes anymore. And i cant seem to find any info regarding a nerf.

Also thanks for a great post.

Rheingold
12.23.2011 , 05:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SLANTEN View Post
Did they change slicing?
In the last 24 hours I stopped making credits and dont get missions and Cybertech schemes anymore. And i cant seem to find any info regarding a nerf.

Also thanks for a great post.

Same here, only small cash...

Mashy
12.23.2011 , 06:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by essell View Post
Hush you.

It's the crafting skill for those who don't like the crafting system.

Mr crafting partner is making us new lightsabers and I'm funding the work with slicing profits. It's working great from where I'm sitting, we're not rich, but we can get the money for the things we want.

Bioware, leave slicing alone. It's balanced and lovely.
Nerf it, it's ruining the economy.... Fact is a fact.