Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TrinityLyre
03.17.2014 , 11:02 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
*snipping a great post on scouts*
I added a link to this in the scout section, because it brings up great points and an alternative view on ship design.

Quote: Originally Posted by Khveldar View Post
TL;DR -- READ THE GUIDE
Thanks! Maybe I should call this a compendium instead? *shrugs*

Quote: Originally Posted by Warhelm View Post
All of your Table of Contents links go to the Bombers post.
Fixed, thank you for pointing it out! Does anyone know if there's a way to link to spots in a particular post, like say halfway through? It would allow me to break it down a little better in the initial links.

Quote: Originally Posted by -Streven- View Post
Nice guide. I like your reasoning for your builds. If I get some time I'll post up some alternative builds that I really enjoy.
Thank you, I'm sure the community would appreciate it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
*snipped TZ-24 build*
Added to the Strike Fighter section with Ramalina's. Thanks for the contribution, though I think I'll pass on the drinking game since I've got a weak stomach.

I was thinking about a section for community/server channels and guilds as well, though the information would be a little tough to gather. For example, pubs on The Bastion use the channel "pubgsf" in-game, and imps use "impgsf". I know there's at least 2 GSF-centralized guilds on our server, with a number of others focusing on both GSF and ground PvP.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Armonddd
03.17.2014 , 12:12 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
I added a link to this in the scout section, because it brings up great points and an alternative view on ship design.
Thanks!

Quote:
Fixed, thank you for pointing it out! Does anyone know if there's a way to link to spots in a particular post, like say halfway through? It would allow me to break it down a little better in the initial links.
I know how to do that in HTML, but BW's forums limit bbcode significantly, so I'm not sure it's possible here.

Quote:
Added to the Strike Fighter section with Ramalina's. Thanks for the contribution, though I think I'll pass on the drinking game since I've got a weak stomach.
But that's what makes it more fun!
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Gavin_Kelvar
03.17.2014 , 09:16 PM | #43
Hey so overall I really like the guide. Just some feedback regarding the Type 1 strikers (which I primarily fly):

while taking the companion that offers a buff to evasion looks good I think in the case of Type 1 strikers evasion is overrated for several reasons: 1) a Type 1 striker gets a max of 10% evasion, in my experience which is going to have a negligible impact on an opponent's accuracy unless they're already experiencing significant tracking penalties 2) I've found Doc (Republic) blends much better with the reactor minor component of Type 1 strikers by offering both a buff to total shield arc strength and regen rate.

Also I've found that Ion cannons blend very well with a Heavy Cannon/concussion set up. While heavy cannons aren't great for point blank if you first use Ions to strip away an enemy's shields heavy cannons will do serious damage to an enemy's hull. I've sometimes caused an enemy to begin fleeing because they're suddenly without shields and taking heavy damage, which in turn puts them right at the ideal range of heavy cannons.

Combined with retros I've found a good tactic can be to open with heavies, switch to ions once I'm in range, after their shields have been stripped away hit retro to gain some distance to finish them off with heavies and/or missiles.

It's also an ideal bomber killer set up as ions counter the bomber's shields and heavies counter any damage reduction armor. With that set up I'd recommend going with the range capacitor to make the most of heavies and give ions a little more reach.

Verain
03.17.2014 , 10:22 PM | #44
While I skipped over it in my sarcastic review of my beloved whiskey TZ-24 build, I actually think evasion is overrated on the Type 1 Strikes, but the other crew defensives are so balls it doesn't really matter.

Here's the argument against evasion on the T1 Strike: Broadly, evasion is only really baller at high levels. If you have a 95% chance to be missed, adding 5% evasion takes you from mortal to immortal. Here's more reasonable numbers though:

If you have a 100% chance to be hit, 10% of miss means you are able to tank a little bit more incoming damage- if it took 2000 damage to kill you before, now it will take 2222 damage to kill you, on average. This is an increase of about 11%. If you have that rate of 10% and you gain another 10% evasion for a 20% total, now you need 2500 to kill you- 25% more than base, and a 12.5% increase in survivability over your 10%. Add another 10, and now you need 2875 to kill you- 43% more than base, and a 15% increase over the 20% mark.

It just keeps going up like that. Every point of evasion is worth more and more. This means that anything that can stack evasion gets a lot of benefit from it. 30% evasion is not "20% better" than 10% evasion, it's a 29% increase in survivability. So if you LACK an armor component, as the Type 1 Strike (and the Type 2 Gunship) does, you are missing out on a whole lot more than 9% survival. In fact, the only evasion available to you is the 5% from the crew member. Now, evasion isn't as simple as this- if I have you under my sites at 3000m with heavy laser, your 5% evasion will leave me with 101% chance to hit you- it is worthless (as would be the 9% damage reduction, but both shield options would be helpy). If you had 14% evasion instead, the 92% hit chance would leave you with an 8.6% increase in evasion- hard to justify, but not trash.

Now normally you say "screw it, it's worth it to dodge a railgun". But the railgun accuracy at 7k is 109% with slug, and you have to be well off center before there's a tracking penalty at all. Past 7500 meters it's 104%- is a 1% chance to dodge the slug or ion worth it? Probably not.

So without either distortion field or at the very least the hull component, I do not believe that the 5% evasion adds up to as much when it comes to the REAL reasons you stack evasion. It still helps if you are off center- if someone has big tracking penalty because you are at the edge, and their chance to hit you is only 60%, that 5% boost is a 9% survival increase.

The thing is, Stasie recommends the 5% evasion and the 10% shield power pool. The 10% shield power pool is worth 180 shield. Given you have 1450 hull, and ignoring the 5% hull DR at the moment, and assuming large reactor (+360 shield) that means that you've increased your survivability up to 2520+1450=3970, and 3970-180=3790, you've increased your time to be killed by a mere 4.7%. And 15% shield regeneration will hardly ever matter either unless you have quick charge or something else that really helps with it, and it doesn't exactly win by miles there either. This leaves 9% damage reduction. Against, say, quads, an enemy will need to hit you for 2520 to blow up your shield arc, then an additional 1526 to kill you- 4046 damage. If you have 9% extra damage reduction, that turns into 2520 shields and then 1686 to kill you- 4206. That's right about a 4% survival increase.

So here's your options:

Evasion: A 0% to 9% increase in survival, probably around 4% in general. Better during the 15% crewman evasion boost- then it's pretty much at least a 6% survival boost for the duration.
Shield Size: 10% shield is 180 shield. It doesn't stack multiplicatively with anything- all these values are off your base 1800 shield size, whether you have directional, quick charge, large reactor, turbo reactor. This companion special just gives you 180 shield on a strike fighter. This increases your survivability by nearly 5%, more if you actually regenerate shields (aka, not just burned down from full). But no one is telling you to drop this one!
Shield Regen: 13.5 regen per second when you haven't been attacked for 3 seconds, not even tied with 10% shield size after 10 seconds of not being attacked. There's no way this is more than a 1% increase in survival.
Damage reduction: 4% survival increase, way less if you are able to tank more than one giant burst to the face by escaping and returning with better shields. 0% versus burst laser cannon, heavy laser cannon, and slug railgun.

The T1 Strike is the only place you can really ignore the evasion special- but even here, with nothing to stack with it, it's still very good, because the lesser two abilities (shield regen rate and damage reduction) are just nard munchers full time.

tunewalker
03.17.2014 , 11:35 PM | #45
I was thinking of contributing some of the builds I use on the Pike for this, but then I realized I run enough builds on it that it would be to long . Its all dependent on who I see flying and the builds that I see up there already are pretty close to the ones I use, the only interesting choice I occasionally make is running armoring instead of evasion because while many good pilots run Armor piercing there is almost always a few pilots who either aren't or CANT run it with their ship. Because of this against the whole team I feel damage reduction helps against those people while some of the other pilots I don't feel any armor is going to make much of a difference one way or another.

Also I run the Co-pilot ability Lockdown on the Pike on occasions to occasionally drop Proton torps on people after draining their engines to 0 so they cant dodge. Its situational, rare and very aggressive, but has paid off on more then one occasion. Its also worked on scouts trying to flee allowing my strike to stay on their tails.

Verain
03.17.2014 , 11:49 PM | #46
I've heard tales of the lockdown, actually. I've been meaning to try it out sometime. As I understand, the idea is to hammer anyone who does an engine component and has low engine power, and that leaves him with no method to dodge.

Ramalina
03.19.2014 , 09:19 AM | #47
Verain did a good job on the overall defensive options for a strike fighter, but missed one detail in regards to why even low levels of evasion can be quite valuable.

It rests on two GSF mechanics. First, there is no penalty for non-lethal damage. As long as you don't take another hit, there's no difference between the performance of a ship with 1200 hull and 1400 shields and the same ship with 1 hull and 0 shields. Meaning if you can break LOS, kill the opponent, or otherwise stop taking fire the damage that kills you is much more important than any amount of damage that is not fatal.

Secondly, damage in GSF comes in discrete packages. Meaning that small increases in ability to absorb or reduce damage in many cases will not be enough to turn a killing shot into a non-lethal shot.

Evasion, when it's not overcome by accuracy, is much more effective at turning killing shots into survivable shots because shots that miss do no damage.

With all that said, in the nerf that hit distortion field and evasion overall, Bioware adjusted things so that evasion and shield capacity are now so closely balanced that it's hard to tell if there's any difference in terms of effective survivability.

TL;DR version: Evasion is best if you can stack it, but in GSF at present, evasion is never a bad choice.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch

TrinityLyre
03.19.2014 , 02:44 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Gavin_Kelvar View Post
while taking the companion that offers a buff to evasion looks good I think in the case of Type 1 strikers evasion is overrated...
I think Ramalina and Verain both summed up (very well, actually) why I choose evasion in the huge majority of builds. I like that you have the options available

Also I've found that Ion cannons blend very well with a Heavy Cannon/concussion set up.
You're definitely not the first person to make mention of Ion Cannon for the Star Guard / Rycer, and I actually do agree that it can be useful! I've tried running it in builds and have been surprised by certain combinations utilizing Ion Cannon to get quick kills (though they're easily countered).

What I don't like about swapping lasers (and I'm sure others can chime in here) is having to click again to fire the newly-swapped primary weapon, especially as frequently as you're suggesting. This is why I tend not to swap often (as in your scenario) during combat. I constantly feel like I'm missing damage by making the choice to switch weaponry so frequently and so I opt to choose a primary weapon that has a much different role from the first. Rapid-fire Lasers are weak but serve a completely different role than Heavy Lasers - they are short-range, have great tracking accuracy and are capable of doing significant hull damage. I feel like it is very difficult to finish off an opponent in close quarters (especially where line of sight is an issue) using Ion Cannon. If an enemy is hugging a mesa/asteroid/satellite trying to evade me, I will switch to Rapid-fire Lasers to finish them off. It's a personal choice, and definitely not for everyone.

One additional problem here is that having a second Primary Weapon just doesn't feel too valuable with how weak the alternatives are. If Ion Cannon had a much larger range or more powerful drain it would be more fun to use in conjunction with Heavy Lasers or Concussion Missile locks. If Rapid-fire Lasers actually dealt real damage instead of feeling like you're tapping someone on the shoulder repeatedly that would be nice too. Verain already has an interesting thread on the topic, though.

It's also an ideal bomber killer set up as ions counter the bomber's shields and heavies counter any damage reduction armor. With that set up I'd recommend going with the range capacitor to make the most of heavies and give ions a little more reach.
I feel like bombers are easy to kill without Ion Cannon. All I tend to require is Heavy Lasers and a missile of one type or another. I standoff at range against bombers because I don't like dealing with their mines in close quarters and it makes anything they drop an easy kill.

As far as Range Capacitor goes, I can see the uses for it but I feel like the trade-off isn't worthwhile when considering my play style and the alternative Capacitor choices. It's great that you bring it up as an option for others to test though - I fully encourage testing any and every component.

Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
I was thinking of contributing some of the builds I use on the Pike for this...
You should! You don't have to submit it in the same format nor provide nearly the amount of explanation I have - I did it just to make it easy to read and provide some insight into my choices.

Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
Also I run the Co-pilot ability Lockdown on the Pike on occasions to occasionally drop Proton torps on people after draining their engines to 0 so they cant dodge. Its situational, rare and very aggressive, but has paid off on more then one occasion. Its also worked on scouts trying to flee allowing my strike to stay on their tails.
I've tried Lockdown and actually do find it useful on the Pike. Lockdown should be even more useful after the upcoming patch since more engine power will be expended avoiding enemies and running away from them. I'll try it out post-patch.

As a final note in this post, I am continuing to add useful information to the respective sections of the guide as I come across them. Thanks for all the input, feedback and commentary!

Verain
03.21.2014 , 12:00 AM | #49
My Whiskey Gladiator is apparently even "better" than I thought, as I wasn't aware that it boosts engine power recently consumed regeneration rate!

Quote:
You're definitely not the first person to make mention of Ion Cannon for the Star Guard / Rycer, and I actually do agree that it can be useful! I've tried running it in builds and have been surprised by certain combinations utilizing Ion Cannon to get quick kills (though they're easily countered).
I actually run the Ion Cannon on both my Starguard (next to Concussion and Heavy) and my close range Gladiator (next to Cluster and the mediocre Rapid Fire). But the natural pairing of it is actually Quad specced for armor damage. Heavy is an excellent primary weapon, but it does leave you weak around close objects, so I suspect this was meant to be the peanut butter and jelly of the ship.

Ions are powerful, but their relatively weak range really does make them niche- you won't often acquire a distant target and want to be on Ions. And, as you say, the "reclick" definitely resets at the very least the shot timer or something, and the dps loss is palpable. Also it is very easy to take an extra shot or two at the hull, which is meaningless damage.

On the other hand, if you find yourself in a team fight, it is trivial to strip shields with even mild time on target, and enemies often react to stripped shields- and those that don't can be easily destroyed by friends or dispatched with your more traditional weapon. Still, it's very much a commitment, and locks you in to only one style of shot for your kills.

TrinityLyre
03.21.2014 , 11:23 PM | #50
I added a new section so that important information from other threads deep down in the forums is still easily available for newer players! Links, server information, helpers, twitch streams and more are now available in the new section!

My Whiskey Gladiator is apparently even "better" than I thought, as I wasn't aware that it boosts engine power recently consumed regeneration rate!
I've always thought that was an interesting trade-off: survivability for mobility. I like that it's there, but I prefer the alternatives just because of how good they are. Deaths to burst damage are far more common than being whittled down slowly, and Directional Shields / Distortion Field just handle it better (IMO).

I actually run the Ion Cannon on both my Starguard (next to Concussion and Heavy) and my close range Gladiator (next to Cluster and the mediocre Rapid Fire). But the natural pairing of it is actually Quad specced for armor damage. Heavy is an excellent primary weapon, but it does leave you weak around close objects, so I suspect this was meant to be the peanut butter and jelly of the ship.
Heavy just seems to work so well being the only armor penetration option available for strike fighters. I'd argue it's practically mandatory if you want to kill the armored targets. The only problem I have with Quad Laser Cannons is that while it is great DPS, its range doesn't seem to mesh well with typical strike fighter weaponry/missiles. It isn't that great for very close targets because it has almost double the tracking penalty and a smaller firing arc than the other close-range alternatives. Most [skilled] pilots that close to you probably won't be dead center.

Ions are powerful, but their relatively weak range really does make them niche- you won't often acquire a distant target and want to be on Ions. Also it is very easy to take an extra shot or two at the hull, which is meaningless damage.
What would you suggest to make them more useable/a better option for the type 1 strike? They're the only ship that can use it, it might as well be interesting and a good choice.

You should probably make a drinking game based on how many targets you can kill using only Ion Cannons. I'm game to try it.