Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RickDagles
01.21.2015 , 11:33 AM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by Drakkolich View Post
Personally I still use quads even in the charged plating imperium/clarion as I don't find you gain enough extra dps on the node to compensate for when you are killing anything else.
While I totally agree with making domination builds that can handle all ship types, I disagree with you on this one. Even with the versatility of Quads, what are you hoping to hit? BLC, rocket pods, railguns, or HLC are going to absolutely decimate the charged plating build before you can even make a dent with the quads.

To me the CP Clarion is purely a chess piece to push a Razorwire/Rampart off the board, and LLC does that best. Overall it usually feels like a pretty terrible choice though. I think I have a lot more success attacking the bomber from under the node with directional shields, ranged quads, and thermites instead of chasing him around the sat. I still haven't decided if I like reinforced armor or deflection armor here (to eat an occasional mine if you get too close).

MiaowZedong
01.21.2015 , 12:02 PM | #342
Quote: Originally Posted by RickDagles View Post
To me the CP Clarion is purely a chess piece to push a Razorwire/Rampart off the board, and LLC does that best. Overall it usually feels like a pretty terrible choice though. I think I have a lot more success attacking the bomber from under the node with directional shields, ranged quads, and thermites instead of chasing him around the sat. I still haven't decided if I like reinforced armor or deflection armor here (to eat an occasional mine if you get too close).
Problem here is that you're not using the Clarion's strengths. If you're going to stand off the bomber, the best ship to do so is a T1 strike with HLC and Concs. I would say T2, but the engine manoeuvre choices penalise it heavily. Besides, having Ion Cannon as an option is probably better than having Protorps to fall back upon after launching the Conc.

SheikShmoove
01.21.2015 , 02:58 PM | #343
Wow, wasn't expecting all these great replies, thank you! As it turns out, I gave up on my LLC Clarion experiment. I just feel a lot more useful in a wider variety of environments flying with quads / directional shields / proton torpedoes. I do vacillate between lightweight armor and deflection armor -- I used deflection for a long time, but have switched to higher evasion, which seems to have paid dividends against gunships in particular.

Also the ship doesn't look right w/o Quad Lasers
Merani - L65 Guardian - <The Krayt Council> - The Shadowlands

Drakkolich
02.03.2015 , 01:21 PM | #344
Sending this one back to the top for newer players.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Verain
02.03.2015 , 01:37 PM | #345
Sending this one back to the top for newer players.
The "Manual Sticky" method!
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Linuxizer
02.04.2015 , 10:32 PM | #346
I just saw the new damage record and it looks like quad laser + rocket pods. Does anyone keep light lasers on the T2 Scout?

Drakkolich
02.04.2015 , 11:17 PM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by Linuxizer View Post
I just saw the new damage record and it looks like quad laser + rocket pods. Does anyone keep light lasers on the T2 Scout?
Not really sadly Quads do very similar dps but at further range, and Burst lasers do lights up close better more reliably. While Lights boast the highest dps in the game, they just aren't as reliable as Bursts.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Kuciwalker
02.05.2015 , 05:11 AM | #348
Not really sadly Quads do very similar dps but at further range, and Burst lasers do lights up close better more reliably. While Lights boast the highest dps in the game, they just aren't as reliable as Bursts.
Highest theoretical dps, with every single real-world correction going against them.

Verain
02.05.2015 , 01:10 PM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Highest theoretical dps, with every single real-world correction going against them.
When you say "dps of a weapon" you are inherently talking about an abstraction.

Lights really will do the most dps in the game versus several targets, even in the real world. But how often do you come across, say, a snared scout?

In fact, everything that deals "the most" damage in this game has a bunch of restrictions on it. I surmise that this is a result of the devs assuming that players will always make the highest dps option work in some regard, even if it is burdened by baggage.

Light Laser Cannon is the highest damage, but the damage drops VERY fast with range and deflection, and requires you to be close- the high dps is only enjoyed in a very small "match flame" directly in front of your nose.

Missile Sentry Drone is the highest dps drone, but unlike the very long range railgun drone or the powerful snare on interdiction drone, all it does is damage, and the missile itself can be countered normally. This generally leaves it as the least popular drone, especially to deploy alone.

Plasma Railgun is the highest dps railgun, but the lack of accuracy, inability to stack the dot, lack of armor piercing, and dot nature instead of burst leave it as the least used railgun.

Seeker and Seismic compete for the secondary weapon mine spot, and seeker is more raw damage, while seismic has the shield ignoring utility.

Concussion mine competes with the utility Ion mine and the utility interdiction mine. It competes pretty favorable these days, but only after a massive gutting of interdiction mine, and only because ion mine is almost entirely worthless.

So we see this "for highest possible damage, pay very high price" quite a bit over components. It's no surprise that lights are overly punished!

I've actually had a hard time explaining why other options beat lights in almost all practical situations. It usually gets reframed as "oh, so you are saying if you are good light laser cannon is best...". No! That is very frustrating. The problem seems to lie with "move X is hard to use" implies that you need to be THIS tall on the skill-peen and then suddenly X beats Y, when what is trying to be communicated is that the situations where the light laser is better than its competition hardly ever arise. The fact that it's also hard to capitalize on them is another thing.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Kuciwalker
02.05.2015 , 05:37 PM | #350
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
When you say "dps of a weapon" you are inherently talking about an abstraction.

(elided: a lot of stuff I basically agree with)
Sure, but there is a much simpler point here. The spherical cow of GSF is a dead-center motionless target with no evasion and no cooldowns, AKA damage per shot times rate of fire times (1 + crit / 2), times accuracy if you want to get fancy. In this model, LLC has the highest DPS. But most refinements you make to this model are going to hit LLC harder than its competitors. Small firing windows? Massive reduction in LLC's modeled DPS, little or none to BLC. And so on.