Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

OKonst
01.15.2015 , 06:04 AM | #331
/pushed back to front page - NO ONE should accidentally miss this excellent thread!
Ronik T3-M4
Vivios T3-M4

Verain
01.15.2015 , 11:42 AM | #332
Eventually the thread will be fifty pages of advice, discussion, and math, and thirty pages of bumps.

We've posted under suggestions, we've posted here, we've all reported for sticky. Tons of GSFers want it stickied, but I really do guess the community guys won't give us the same type of treatment they give literally any other area of the game. It's better written, better titled, and has much more community participation that most of the other stickied guides in other subforums.

So who cares. It's a bunch of bumps, who cares. I've figured out that we can fix that by editing out our old bumps, or even putting valuable info into that. Think of them as "reserved" tags, or something.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

SheikShmoove
01.20.2015 , 01:56 PM | #333
Bumping so some guildies that are starting to fly GSF can find this excellent thread, and to ask a question:

Has anyone tried a Clarion with LLC / Charged Plating / Thermite Torpedo / Repair Probes as a dedicated bomber hunter and had any success? I've tried flying it a few times, though I didn't really get the requisite number of bombers and mined nodes to test it out properly. I prefer a more balanced Clarion, and I wonder if the purpose of this build couldn't be better served with a Rampart.
Merani - L65 Guardian - <The Krayt Council> - The Shadowlands

Kuciwalker
01.20.2015 , 03:30 PM | #334
Why not prefer quads on a bomber-hunter?

Ryuku-sama
01.20.2015 , 04:01 PM | #335
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Why not prefer quads on a bomber-hunter?
LLC has higher DPS and is better up close (under 1.5km). Main problem is it's completely not working with Thermite... and leave you even more vulnerable to cattlescouts.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

DamascusAdontise
01.20.2015 , 09:06 PM | #336
It might seem counter intuitive but my minehunter consists of:

Tensor / LLC / EMP Missile / Distortion Field

This allows me to get around quickly (usually before the bombers) get in prime position to harass them with EMP missile, and enough defensive abilities to stave off GS and Scouts that would try to attack me. One might be able to argue that CP is better suited than DF (and ive tried both) the ability to eat a mine once in a while pales in comparison to the overall protection DF provides (for me at least, results may vary for others)
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

RickDagles
01.20.2015 , 11:32 PM | #337
Quote: Originally Posted by DamascusAdontise View Post
It might seem counter intuitive but my minehunter consists of:

Tensor / LLC / EMP Missile / Distortion Field

This allows me to get around quickly (usually before the bombers) get in prime position to harass them with EMP missile, and enough defensive abilities to stave off GS and Scouts that would try to attack me. One might be able to argue that CP is better suited than DF (and ive tried both) the ability to eat a mine once in a while pales in comparison to the overall protection DF provides (for me at least, results may vary for others)

I'm running a similar build to this except targeting telemetry (gasp!) instead. It only works well on the T2 bomber though. Seismic > close range scouts.

Kuciwalker
01.21.2015 , 09:50 AM | #338
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryuku-sama View Post
LLC has higher DPS and is better up close (under 1.5km). Main problem is it's completely not working with Thermite... and leave you even more vulnerable to cattlescouts.
LLC has higher DPS up close but quads also pack high sustain and their characteristics are almost ideal for fighting bombers (except the lack of native armor pen, which LLC also lacks):
  1. The range difference is a really big deal in picking off mines.
  2. Bombers are the slowest and least maneuverable targets, which minimizes quads' issue with tracking penalties. Quads love fat stationary targets.
  3. The longer engagement range also translates into a higher effective DPS because you can start firing sooner (and also have more flexibility in where to attack from).

There's a reason that battlescouts usually pick quads or BLC over LLC.

Drakkolich
01.21.2015 , 09:54 AM | #339
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
LLC has higher DPS up close but quads also pack high sustain and their characteristics are almost ideal for fighting bombers (except the lack of native armor pen, which LLC also lacks):
  1. The range difference is a really big deal in picking off mines.
  2. Bombers are the slowest and least maneuverable targets, which minimizes quads' issue with tracking penalties. Quads love fat stationary targets.
  3. The longer engagement range also translates into a higher effective DPS because you can start firing sooner (and also have more flexibility in where to attack from).

There's a reason that battlescouts usually pick quads or BLC over LLC.
I think all he was trying to say is if you're running a charged plating build and orbiting the satelite to detonate the mines on purpose. A gun that has higher dps under those conditions might be better. Personally I still use quads even in the charged plating imperium/clarion as I don't find you gain enough extra dps on the node to compensate for when you are killing anything else.

I really feel it's a player preference choice though, if you really want the best lasers for killing those bombers while you are both on the satelite, then yes Lights are superior then Quads at that exact job.
DrakolichDrakolích
The BastionTwitch Stream

Ramalina
01.21.2015 , 10:02 AM | #340
Quote: Originally Posted by SheikShmoove View Post
Bumping so some guildies that are starting to fly GSF can find this excellent thread, and to ask a question:

Has anyone tried a Clarion with LLC / Charged Plating / Thermite Torpedo / Repair Probes as a dedicated bomber hunter and had any success? I've tried flying it a few times, though I didn't really get the requisite number of bombers and mined nodes to test it out properly. I prefer a more balanced Clarion, and I wonder if the purpose of this build couldn't be better served with a Rampart.
The thing about charged plating is that it means you're planning on taking out mines by running them over. In general that means being too close for easy thermite torpedo shots.

It's fine if your plan runs along the lines of: lock thermite from a distance, boost into minefield, finish bomber with lasers. Especially if in chat or over VOIP you call out, "Thermite on [bomber_name]," so that after you trigger all of the mines other ships can help finish off the affected bomber.

The downside is that you have to repeat this for every bomber and that means getting away from the sat in domination which has the downsides of making you more exposed to gunships and scouts with AP weapons plus potentially loosing control of the sat. If you have backup from your team, and there aren't too many bombers, it can work pretty well.

If it's a solo effort versus 2-5 bombers on a node, than a CP Rampart is definitely a better choice in most cases. It will need to have it's defenses pretty well upgraded, and will really benefit from having HLCs upgraded to AP as well.

If you change to quads as Kuci suggests, I think you could probably also give up the CP, as in that case you have the tools to stay outside of mine detonation range.
"A padawan's master sets their Jedi trial, Rajivari set mine."
- Zhe Lian, Sage.

Twitch