Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Armonddd
04.01.2014 , 07:50 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Kuciwalker View Post
Disagree re: hydrospanner. A low-end estimate for the value of hydrospanner is +260 base HP, which is pretty significant.
In my experience, hydrospanner only really does work when you can disengage... and even then, that 260 heal isn't much given the amount of time you spend out of the fight, especially in domination where deaths are devalued.

Don't get me wrong, dying is bad, always. But I feel like the superior way to prevent dying is either killing things harder (concentrated fire/bypass) or RNG defense (running interwhatsit).

If RI prevents one shot from landing, it's likely outperformed hydrospanner. If it dodges two, it's certainly done better. And, of course, you don't have to disengage to get the full effect.

If CF gives you a crit that lands a kill early, you've likely prevented them from firing a shot at you. Depending on your weapon and various other circumstances, you might have prevented more.

Death is the best interrupt, CC, damage prevention, and counter-cap in the game, and therefore the best defense is a good offense.
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

wvwraith
04.01.2014 , 09:56 PM | #102
Good guide. As a primarily gunship pilot, I'm curious as to how well the evasion thing works compared to taking hp armor and bypass. I'm interested in hearing more of it. I've been running hp armor since forever and I usually play around with bypass.
Sonya Ferret Jedi Sage
Pilot of the Redeemer Gunship, "The Fluffy Bunny."
Saberwing
Sonya Bloodstorm GoneSithing

SammyGStatus
04.02.2014 , 08:46 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by TrinityLyre View Post
COMMUNITY RESOURCES

Every server seems to have a small but active community for Galactic Starfighter. Are you entering games alone when you really want to be grouping up? Use the following information to get groups, find guilds, ask questions or communicate with fellow Galactic Starfighter players on your server! Sith Empire characters, guilds and channels are colored in red, Galactic Republic characters, guilds and channels are in blue. You can type the command "/cjoin nameofchannel" to join the listed chat channels for each server and "/who nameofguild" to see who is online in a particular guild. I think it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that finding a guild or group of friends to play with (and against) makes it infinitely more fun and interesting!

**Note: Veterans, if you would like to help out, please feel free to volunteer your in-game name and what server you play on so I can add it below! The same applies to guilds looking to add on starfighter pilots. I compiled this information from older threads on the forum so it's all easy to find!

THE BASTION

Guilds: Swift and Absolute, Red Mist Fighter Wing, Flying Circus Fighter Wing, Gentlemen Gankers
Channels: ImpGSF, PubGSF
Helpful Players: Anastasie, Drakolich, Bandaid-imp, Bettynight, Phytia, Drakolích (alt+161 for the í), Band-aid, Nightsock

BEGEREN COLONY

Guilds: Warbird Squadron (link)
Channels: GSF, GSF
Helpful Players: J'mpok, Grree, Xixxaia, Whitelightr, Gabirel, Harden

THE EBON HAWK

Guilds: Eclipse Squadron (link), Vindicta, The Grey Remnants (link), The Thirteenth Legion
Helpful Players: Shayd, Cynfor, Qunai, Ar’mond, Nemarus, Steelwind, Mae’thon

THE HARBINGER

Guilds: Flyboys and Assassins (link)
Channels: GSF, Flyboys
Helpful Players: Anastasie, Drakolich, Drexxon, Mirque, Arstane, Lendul, Exhalted, Ben-sindu, Streven-mar, Okiobe

JEDI COVENANT

Guilds:
Helpful Players: Jazmean, Jazrella, Zarchoomi

JUNG MA

Guilds:
Helpful Players: Crinnrath, Zhe-luong, Crinnet

PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Guilds: Death Squadron, Black Squadron
Channels: Pilot, Pilot
Helpful Players: Mae'thon, Scrab, Animal-mutha, Arstane, Scráb (alt+0225 for the á)

THE SHADOWLANDS

Guilds:
Channels: GSF, Space Cantina
Helpful Players: Na'kanlee, Yantia, Mintas, Mintismal, Mintgasm, Izrith

THE PROGENITOR (EU)

Guilds:
Channels: GSF, Aces
Helpful Players: Sunrage, Alastra

THE RED ECLIPSE (EU)

Guilds:
Helpful Players: Danyel-ss, Quickblast, Quickblow, Dany’el

TOMB OF FREEDON NADD (EU)

Guilds: space pvp best pvp, starfighter
Helpful Players: Scrab, Vanilly, Scrabrep, Vanily

:: TWITCH STREAMS

:: USEFUL LINKS

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Thank you to the players and pilots from both factions on The Bastion for offering your opinions, challenges and discussions. Thank you to the pilots/players of Red Mist Fighter Wing and Flying Circus Fighter Wing. Thank you to constructive posters in the Galactic Starfighter forums. There are too many names to list them all since the community really is a bit bigger than most think. I feel our community on The Bastion is extraordinary and for the most part, very friendly. Special shout-out to friends and fellow pilots Verain/Purple, Drakolich and Sanic. I consider Drakolich a large contributor to this guide for all the discussions and team-based gameplay we have done together. Thank you Animal-mutha for putting together the initial "New Pilot Helper List" list here. Thank you Ramalina for your large contribution to this guide, the crew segment.
Add Burning Squadron to the guild list on Jung'Ma please. Also Reprisal
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

Kuciwalker
04.02.2014 , 10:34 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Armonddd View Post
In my experience, hydrospanner only really does work when you can disengage... and even then, that 260 heal isn't much given the amount of time you spend out of the fight, especially in domination where deaths are devalued.
From the perspective of a gunship, I usually have to disengage regardless when pressured, and I'm fairly good at it. A big worry for me is accumulating hull damage that leaves me vulnerable to shield piercing (esp. slug). Hydrospanner is great at mitigating that.

That said, I'm now playing around with Wingman on my GS and beating myself up over not trying it sooner. It is soooo good at negating tracking penalties and passive evasion.

TrinityLyre
04.02.2014 , 10:50 AM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
Add Burning Squadron to the guild list on Jung'Ma please. Also Reprisal
Will do! Are these Empire or Republic guilds and do you happen to have links to the websites? If not, no biggie.

Also, Board: You block PMs, so I can't reply to the one you sent me. The answer is yes, but I am not a part of SuckaFish any more.
Anastasie / Phytia The Bastion
Respected and Despised & Insert Guild Name Here
Check out my Galactic Starfighter Compendium and contribute!

Armonddd
04.02.2014 , 12:24 PM | #106
From the perspective of a gunship, I usually have to disengage regardless when pressured, and I'm fairly good at it. A big worry for me is accumulating hull damage that leaves me vulnerable to shield piercing (esp. slug). Hydrospanner is great at mitigating that.

That said, I'm now playing around with Wingman on my GS and beating myself up over not trying it sooner. It is soooo good at negating tracking penalties and passive evasion.
I can definitely see it working on a gunship, yeah. What's the range on Servo Jammer? That could potentially be helpful (for newer gunships, at least).
Space Ace of <Death Squadron>, <Black Squadron>, <Eclipse Squadron>, and <solo da>

Zoom_VI
04.02.2014 , 12:25 PM | #107
I can definitely see it working on a gunship, yeah. What's the range on Servo Jammer? That could potentially be helpful (for newer gunships, at least).
5k like all the others.
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.

Armonddd
04.02.2014 , 12:33 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
5k like all the others.
Well that's boring.

Kuciwalker
04.02.2014 , 12:45 PM | #109
Servo Jammer is a maneuvering debuff, not an evasion one. Personally I find it harder to (manually) hit targets with a large angular velocity (i.e. flying fast, in a straight line, laterally) than those with frequent course changes, so I don't think it'd be very helpful even at 15km.

Armonddd
04.02.2014 , 01:45 PM | #110
Servo Jammer is a maneuvering debuff, not an evasion one. Personally I find it harder to (manually) hit targets with a large angular velocity (i.e. flying fast, in a straight line, laterally) than those with frequent course changes, so I don't think it'd be very helpful even at 15km.
Interesting. I have the opposite problem, which is why I thought of Servo Jammer.