Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can I change my character's name?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Can I change my character's name?

Sumire
01.10.2012 , 05:02 AM | #21
They are bound to bring this out as a payable feature, in fact it maybe even already there but not activated, same with the character customization.
Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

cyanidechaos
01.10.2012 , 05:15 AM | #22
Last names are part of the Legacy Feature. If you want a Surname, make one when you reach level 30 and activate the Legacy.

MichellMich
01.10.2012 , 06:17 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by PsuedoFist View Post
Is there character name change feature in swtor?
Not yet, but I'd put money on there being a way to in the future. Bioware has a lot of work ahead of them, and things like this probably aren't even on the radar right now.
- Michell Mich -

Lapstance
01.30.2012 , 04:48 AM | #24
I think i can somehow make others/report myself, really regret my name on my main toon wasnt fully functional when i made it up...
It means something bad in swedish, so maybe i can translate it for the devs

shadowdeaula
02.03.2012 , 10:43 AM | #25
bumping this thread.

I'd like to change my character name as well. I didn't know about the Legacy Surname feature, and I combined first and last name together on my main character. I just want to drop it so I can use it for my surname.

Mogzster
02.10.2012 , 03:07 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by NubianJones View Post
I remember seeing someone yesterday as Chuk-Norris, when it told me a hyphen was an invalid character.

I'll write some other names, but I do know titles do that.
Actually the hyphen is allowed. My characters name is Oren-Rah Antares, with Antares being my legacy name. There a quite a few people on Lord Ieldis with hyphenated names come to think of it.

MasterJamo
03.13.2012 , 06:40 PM | #27
I wish they could change names. I mean, they made the game and it would be fantastic if there was a name change service. I never knew how legacy names worked. My current name is Jarikdural cause at the character creation it didnt let me put spaces. I just wanted my character to be Jarik and my last name (legacy) Dural. I wish they wouldve explained this more thoroughly. SWTOR please make a name change service in the future so that future players wont make the same mistake that i made! Thanks!!

davidswant
03.18.2012 , 03:32 PM | #28
I was reported and recieved an email for useing sixtyniner and i will be banned but I cant figure out how to change my name

Ricktur
04.08.2012 , 08:22 PM | #29
i actually put a ticket in reporting myself for my in game name. ill let you know how it all goes. my name (if you cant tell by the sig) is Madden.

that name happens to violate the ToS naming policy as it is the name of a popular NFL console game as well as a fmous NFL commentator.

WOOT! free name change!! suckas!
Sgt. Boos Macarrage - Republic Trooper/Vanguard - PVE Tank Spec
Prophecy of the Five - US East PVP
Republic Commandos: First Ones In, Last Ones Out. Never Quit. Never Fail.

LoytaSolette
04.09.2012 , 01:34 AM | #30
I, too, was caught unawares by the way the game changes the name I input to something different.

I input a Legacy name similar to "van Heusen," but it didn't like the space character. So I changed it to "vanHeusen," and it gave no indication that it wouldn't accept that. After confirming that it said "vanHeusen" in the confirmation window, I accepted it.

Imagine my surprise when it appeared over my head as "Vanheusen," the game having chosen its own version of how the name should be capitalized, never mind what I input and what the confirmation window confirmed... how rude!

Why restrict Legacy names? they have no actual functionality in-game (chat, grouping) like regular character names do, so why not allow customers to actually choose their Legacy names unrestricted?

I just don't get the logic... BioWare should rethink this, remove the capitalization restrictions on both character names and Legacy names, make sure all name-confirmation windows show EXACTLY what the name will be in-game, then give everyone one free character and Legacy name change with subsequent changes as paid services.
Do not accept mediocrity in the guise of "diversity" or "inclusiveness"