Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

This game badly needs mods and macros.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
This game badly needs mods and macros.

Viladras
12.23.2011 , 04:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Laids View Post
I No damage/threat meters in a modern MMO would be like Blizzard not adding replay functionality to Starcraft 2. It's a learning tool, so you can see where you went wrong and access possible ways to fix it. Complaining that it 'Ruins the game' is completely non-nonsensical as you are in complete control of it's use. If you don't like add-ons then form a guild of like minded people who think the same.

The crux of the problem though is that some people just having no understanding of DPS/Threat meters and some will use them as a way to flaunt how much better they are at the game than others. Here's the thing though, back when I played WoW my guildies and I would take the piss out of each other for beating each other on the dps meters ect and because we were mature and knowledgeable enough we laughed about it and strove to better ourselves in future raids.

People who lack the hand/eye co-ordination to play MMO's at a fast paced and optimum level fear being attacked for that. The simple fact is that there is thousands of people like that and so why is it not okay for them just join a guild together. They can't stand even playing a game with the very existence of something that does NOT affect them. Want to group, ask your guild. Want to raid, ask your guild. You can do these thing and none of it involves add-ons, some 14 year old punk starts acting like a tool, then simply kick him.

Gearscore and other add-ons like it were examples of add-ons that went too far, but people view them in the same like as damage meters and threat meters,which is wrong.

The UI problems are 100% quality of life issues and quite frankly should be supported by everyone. I'm sorry but there is not a single legit concern or argument that can be made against availability of UI mods that would have an impact on a non-mod user, it's complete ignorance.

Also the argument that things like DBM making raiding easier, is laughable at best. Mods like DBM are why WoW had some of the most challenging content in any MMO in the history of the genre. It allowed developers to push raiders harder and harder and harder. .

I whole heartedly agree with this post

TL;DR: if you don't like macros then don't use them, but don't drag down the rest of us that wish to have them!

Chomag
12.23.2011 , 04:05 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by acheros View Post
how about instead of needing macros/addons to play the game for you, you get better. Evolve or die.
Or how about I don't pay a sub ?

I'm sure you and many others don't care but something tells me BW will prefer to include things that aren't disruptive to other players but useful to many others.

Not all of us are video game smoking kids.
Hard mode: Play Republic
Nightmare mode: Play Republic on a pvp server
Are you man enough for the challenge ? Aunt Satele wants YOU.
Republic. No kids allowed.

NinjaApacHe
12.23.2011 , 04:07 AM | #23
Learn to use skills instead of macros, maybe you will enjoy the game better.

BossDoc
12.23.2011 , 04:23 AM | #24
I am against macros too
I prefer to use my mind to what skill i ll use next and not just 123 123 repeat until mob/player dead

Frydoh
12.23.2011 , 05:04 AM | #25
I agree. We badly need macros!
I dont care about mods.

GoHorns
12.23.2011 , 05:08 AM | #26
Addon's/Macro's please..

Elmiond
12.23.2011 , 05:12 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by BossDoc View Post
I am against macros too
I prefer to use my mind to what skill i ll use next and not just 123 123 repeat until mob/player dead
Hooo boy.. There's SO much more you can do with macros than a rotation (which is stupid as it locks your response options to the sequence). Stuff like conditional filtering, cast method etc.

Engeven
12.23.2011 , 05:12 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by acheros View Post
how about instead of needing macros/addons to play the game for you, you get better. Evolve or die.
Oh really? Cos last time I checked, having no dps meter addon will allow you to play much much worse without getting noticed. With no dps meter you can join a guild as a dps raid with them, and watch tv in the middle of boss fight and no one will notice

I don't understand how people see "linking dmg meters" as an evil thing. They just reflect what just happened! They are completely objective and tells exactly how much you hit the boss. Rest is completely on players' hands. If they mock you cos your dps is low, then dont play with them (play with someone who is ok with carrying your pathetic dps) or play better.

With my wow guild I really enjoy friendly dps competition with my guildmates and if you can not meet the dps requirement of a fight, then you should consider joining a more casual guild instead of whining on the forums "DAMAGE METERS SUCK!!!11!! REMOVE THEM!11!!"

Hating damage meter is really pathetic. I hate everyone who hates damage meters! Its like being a scammer. If that person doesnt wanna play with you if your dps is low, then hiding your dps from him is NOT NOT NOT the solution to this.

As for macros:
I'm okay without macros, I don't use that much macros anyways but macro's are NOT tools that provides you "1 button rotation". In wow you can't use macro to simplify rotation.

JediIorith
12.23.2011 , 05:12 AM | #29
Honestly, I see mods and macros as a crutch. They aren't needed, they just make the game easier. And the game is easy enough as it is.

JediIorith
12.23.2011 , 05:14 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Engeven View Post
Oh really? Cos last time I checked, having no dps meter addon will allow you to play much much worse without getting noticed. With no dps meter you can join a guild as a dps raid with them, and watch tv in the middle of boss fight and no one will notice

I don't understand how people see "linking dmg meters" as an evil thing. They just reflect what just happened! They are completely objective and tells exactly how much you hit the boss. Rest is completely on players' hands. If they mock you cos your dps is low, then dont play with them (play with someone who is ok with carrying your pathetic dps) or play better.

With my wow guild I really enjoy friendly dps competition with my guildmates and if you can not meet the dps requirement of a fight, then you should consider joining a more casual guild instead of whining on the forums "DAMAGE METERS SUCK!!!11!! REMOVE THEM!11!!"

Hating damage meter is really pathetic. I hate everyone who hates damage meters! Its like being a scammer. If that person doesnt wanna play with you if your dps is low, then hiding your dps from him is NOT NOT NOT the solution to this.
They encourage elitism, and that really is not a good thing. I personally can't stand people who use damage meters, especially if they feel the need to link them, because it turns into a ego contest, with DPS working against each other instead of working together in a friendly way.